PDA

View Full Version here: : Auto guider question

xelasnave
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I have not been doing any astro photography for some time and have not kept up to date with available gear here or elsewhere.

I need a auto guide set up before I can set up again.

The system I was in the process of setting up never did work and the guide cameras had pixels that would doom any result if all the other problems were resolved...at that stage events took me away from astro photography ..but now in an effort to start again I figure to simply scrap the two old meade cameras with the unwanted pixels and start again...fresh.

When Bintels site was posted in general chat I took a look and noticed a auto guider titled " skywatcher synguider"
( http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotography/Autoguiders/Skywatcher--br-SynGuider/777/productview.aspx. )
I have an eq6 mount and the idea of a guider not connected to a lap top is just what I need. Scopes to be guided max fl 800mm (or amybe one of those meade triplets if they are worht having) and I wonder are these items useful are there any outstanding negative features perhaps.

The other set up with the guide scope and rings also seemed ok but it needs a lap top.
alex:):):)

graham.hobart
06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I have got one of these but since getting my starshoot to work properly I have not used it extensively. There is a thread on the cloudy nights forum wiith a review about the synguider and also some comments re-iterated on here talk about the difficulty of getting a guide star but once acquired it seems to work OK.
There is a chap who posts in the beginners section for astro photos who uses one with an NEQ6. Perhaps you could PM him -I will just look for his name.....
cheers
Graham

graham.hobart
06-09-2011, 02:42 PM
look for obsidianphotos (greg) in the reflection in OTA/horsehead thread in beginners astrophotography.

xelasnave
06-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks that is very helpful
alex

gregbradley
07-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Bintel sell an autoguider package that seems very inexpensive.

Its worth checking out their site. I can't comment on the camera they use with it though.

Generally though you do not need a long focal length scope as a guide scope. A short focal length
works. Rigidity is important so how it is mounted counts.

I have used an Astrotech 66ED as a guide scope for a few years and it is only something like 350mm
focal length. I never have trouble getting a guide star and they are nice and sharp.

I use Losmandy guide scope rings mounted on their D mount I think they are called.

Cameras - there are several choices now. I use an SBIG 402 ME but they are about US$1200.

I also have a Starlight Express Lodestar which is nice and light. I have had 2 of them though and they both suffered from artifacts so it sounds like you've been there and done that! Starlight express are bringing out a cheaper
version of it for about US$399 or so. QHY cameras are often noted as being used as autoguiding cameras on this site.
The smaller ones. An Atik 383 I believe is a good one. Lots of choices these days. SBIG have a new one called the STi that looks good.
Similar to the Lodestar but with a physical shutter to make it easier to get darks and with a Kodak KAI340 chip which probably
is the better one to use than the other brands. I think SBIG is on a winner with that little guide camera. The same size as an eyepiece,
small and light and a nice chip with a physical shutter and powered by the USB cable. Lovely and neat.

Greg.