PDA

View Full Version here: : Losmandy G11 for imaging

TheDecepticon
06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Howdy!

I am thinking of upgrading my mount.:question:

I am currently using an EQ6 Pro that I have had for some time and has a PemPro recorded error of 11.5 peak to peak uncorrected and 2.1 PE corrected and I currently run the fantastic EQMOD software.:thumbsup:

If I chose to go to a G11-G, am I gaining anything? The EQ6 is "out of the box" and has never been touched. What is typical uncorrected PE for a G11 and can it be used "out of the box" for imaging? What are the "ovision upgrades" etc. If I need to spend money upgrading the G11, why don't I just spend it on my EQ6, which has been a great investment in my hobby for me?:shrug:

I wont be able to afford much more than a G11, so an AP900 or the like is really out of the question, however, is there any other mounts in this type of price range?:question:

Any thoughts would be appreciated, but please, good explanations and no cryptic replies will really help.:rolleyes:

Thanks heaps,

Gray.:)

TrevorW
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Mill (martin) has been doing some testing might be the best one to answer your query re accuracy

As to the mount it is the only viable $$$ alternative on the market thats a real step up from the EQ6 IMO

adman
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
if you are even only half thinking about it - grab the one in the classifieds at the moment - $3500 for G11G with the ovision worm upgrade. Can't go wrong, and you will never look back. For the money very hard to beat.

My G11 is an older one, and before cleaning etc was 12-13 arcseconds peak to peak at best. I have just put in losmandy high precision worms on both axes - now 3-4 arc seconds peak to peak (uncorrected) was my latest run through using pempro.

Having said that, if your current mount is carrying the load you need and is giving you round stars - why upgrade?

Adam

multiweb
06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
If it's working for you with PEC I wouldn't bother upgrading. Getting a G11 won't give you more precision than what you're having right now.

Alchemy
06-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I guess the issue is what are you loading on your current mount. The g11 would be more stable under influences such as wind etc.

But if you have a very good eq6 that carries everything you need then there might not be much point.

The one big factor is..... They look fantastic, bit like having an observatory, it just oozes you're serious. ( astro bling)

mill
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Very easy decision, get the G11 and also keep the EQ6.
That is what i have done.
The beta testing of the G2 is coming along nicely and the pointing is now better than the original Gemini.
There are still some bugs but they get ironed out quickly.
My PE out of the box was 3-4 arc seconds peak to peak because the new mounts now come with the precision worms as standard.
Go here to read more about the new G2 http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini-II/

Martin.

TheDecepticon
07-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Great replies guys.:thumbsup:

I only use a Megrez 110 and 80mm guide scope, so with cameras etc, I am well under weight. I was going to look into a GSO RC8 and guide scope, so should still be well under weight too.

When I sit down and analyse it, I think my biggest enemy is probably location, being in the suburbs and all. I was just thinking a better mount might get me better stars through the seeing. Cheaper going for some narrow band filters, I think.

Thanks again.:)

multiweb
07-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Good call. Get a 3nm set with the money you wanted to spend on the G11. They're not cheap but you buy them once.

TheDecepticon
07-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks Marc.

I thought 3nm would be too hard for a small scope? I was going to go for the 12nm versions. Any reason the 3nm type would be better?:question:

multiweb
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Less stars, better cut off in the details. Not sure how it affects small aperture. More subs or longer subs would work IMHO. The only advantage I heard about broader band pass is that they work better with a steep light cone such as the hyperstar. Other than that NB filters can be expensive. If I did it all over again I would have spent a bit more and got narrower ones. Currently I have 7nm, 8nm and 8.5nm Ha/Sii/Oiii. That's all that Baader does. If you want narrower you have to go astronomiks or custom scientific. The Ha 3nm is in the 1K ball park I believe.

Poita
07-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Are there worm upgrades available for the EQ6 as well?

TheDecepticon
07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Cool, that's great info. Looks like it will be all Astonomik 12nm ones for now! :D

There are bits and pieces around, but I have had such a good run from mine that I have not chased anything with them. I was going to do a hyper tune soon, but it does so well that I think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!;)

Poita
07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
If you are getting 2.1 then I'd definitely leave it alone!