PDA

View Full Version here: : Qantas Museum - Sydney

erick
05-09-2011, 10:25 PM
For the first time, I was in Sydney Airport, with time on my hands, in the middle of the day. I headed somewhere I have always wanted to go - the Qantas Heritage Museum in Terminal 3.

And look what I found in the display cabinets!

erick
05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
And also was this display of uniforms. Sadly, I remember back some distance in that sequence of photos!

Octane
05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
That old planisphere is beautiful!

H

Gem
05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
The old RAAF C130 Hercules aircraft had a port in the roof for an astrolabe type device to be inserted if the nav aids all failed. There was a star chart in the pocket at the rear of the flight deck. Somehow I can't image too many people have the time and patience to make the calculations if the aircraft is in such bad shape that ALL the nav instruments are down!! :)

iceman
06-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Is that an Astrovisuals special? :)

Omaroo
06-09-2011, 08:42 AM
How good is that Eric! Thanks for the photos. I'll go and have a look next time 'm there for sure. :)

Barrykgerdes
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Cid they show the old daylight navigation charts.
Follow that railwaiy line!:thumbsup::lol:

One of my old acquaintances (1955) was an ex Qantas Navigator.
One day he was on a NSW intra state flight (after he had left Quantas but still had a commercial ticket). Asked to see the pilot and was let into the cabin. The pilot (no No2) was there with his feet up reading a book so my friend sat in the co-pilots chair. My mate said to him I did not know this plane had an auto pilot. The reply was that's right. Do you want to take the wheel for a while.
My mates next question was what is your course. Answer "See that railway there. Follow it for the next 100 miles"

Barry