PDA

View Full Version here: : Another Music Thread- Three Questions.

Suzy
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
It's time for another music thread! :P

1) Name one song (or artist whose music) that you loathe the most.

2) Your wedding song (or a song that's special to you & your partner).

3) Your favourite Abba song (admit it, you do have one :P).

Here are my answers...

1) Melissa Ethridge "Bring Me Some Water" (and anything else by her).
I'd love to... in the bucket loads, straight down her vocal chords. :lol:
And anything by Taylor Swift.
(...so I threw in two artists :P ).

2) Billy Joel "Just The Way You Are (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPiK_yGG8ag)" was my wedding song.

3) Honey Honey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg7ZsOFSV7c) :whistle: I am a huge Abba fan. :ashamed:

koputai
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM

Anything made after 1985. Also I absolutely hate the current crop of weird little voiced female 'singers', oh yeah, specifically I think Tracy Chapman and Madelaine Peyroux are attrocious! Gee, it sounds like I hate most stuff, but there's tons of stuff I really do like!

Our wedding dance was to 'I Was Made For Lovin You' by KISS.

Umm, no I don't, but my wife LOVES 'Dancing Queen'

Cheers,
Jason.

OICURMT
03-09-2011, 12:26 PM
WAY TOO MANY TO LIST... but here goes...

Barney the Purple Dinosaur's "I Love You" ... OMG I had to listen to this every day when my 2nd son fell head over heals for his TV show...
Charlie Horse & Lamb Chop's "The Song That Doesn't End" ... Holy!.............
Any and all songs that repeat the same lyrics over and over.
Any and all songs that repeat the same lyrics over and over..
Any and all songs that repeat the same lyrics over and over...
Any ABBA Song in English... :screwy:
oh... and any song that doesn't end... ;)

Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" , because we rescued each other... (we are each other's "Hero")

"Estoy Soñando" because any ABBA song is better in Spanish! :P

Octane
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
1. Anything modern and made for commercial reasons, and, not for the music itself. But, really, the vote has to go to Starship's We Built This City. That has got to be the single greatest worst song of all time. In fact, if you do a Google search for worst song of all time, I'm sure that comes up; some guy even subjected himself to it for ten hours in a public booth.

2. Not married, but, if I ever did, it'd have to be Shawn Lane's The Way it Has to Be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbAdy4Dk1y4). 1:46-2:26 (and, the rest of the song) say more than words ever could. Shawn left this world far, far too early.

3. None.

Terry B
03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Not sure of the proper name but the ?Bony M song Ra Ra Rasputin.
The most anoying song that gets stuck in your head.

We walked down the aisle to Trumpet Voluntary.

Mama Mia if I have to pick one at all.

jjjnettie
03-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm with H. We built this city is dreadful, as is abbas chiquitita
I'm Moving Out by Billy Joel. LOL
3) Your favourite Abba song (admit it, you do have one ).
If I had to choose, Fernando because I like that scene in Muriels Wedding.

Ric
04-09-2011, 03:26 AM
1) Anything by the Sex Pistols, my cats can sing better.

2) Legs & Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top

3) Waterloo

cfranks
04-09-2011, 09:36 AM
In my case, I can't remember what it was but #1 & #2 are the same song.!! LOL

Charles

supernova1965
04-09-2011, 09:48 AM
1: Rolf Harris -Stairway to Heaven

2: Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes -Love lifts us up where we belong

3: Fernando

Suzy
04-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Dare I admit it, I really like that song. :ashamed:

I youtubed it, have to admit, was expecting words :lol:. Nice music all the same.;)

Again... :ashamed::ashamed:
Sometimes i just think I'm too honest in admitting things.:screwy::lol:

Why am I not surprised. :P
Probably another one on the playlist would have been Carole Bayer-Sager's "Your Moving Out Today?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z3FS71Tgzw) I still remember all of the words to that song, why I don't know. :shrug: :lol: So cheeky, I love it.

Okay, I have to admit, I really wasn't expecting that one for a wedding song, then I had a good giggle about it realising what fun that song must have been on the night! :lol:

:lol:

Crikey, he sang that? :eyepop:

Thanks for sticking it in my head. :P
I Don't know Trumpet Voluntary, I'll youtube it and take a look.:)

Oh.. that's so sweet! :D

:poke: :P

I seriously thought there would have been more Abba fans. :shrug::lol:
Your comments have been very entertaining and funny- thank you for contributing. ;):)

michaellxv
04-09-2011, 03:07 PM
1. Anything RAP.
2. Led Zeppelin, Thankyou
3. Sorry Suzy, favourite is just the wrong word. None of them appear on my playlist.

astroron
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Any Rap C***
Not married but " Hawiian Wedding" song by Elvis presley
Fernando
Cheers:thumbsup:

supernova1965
04-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Suzy he didn't just sing he murdered it, it was sacrilege and a crime against humanity :sadeyes::sad::tasdevil:

shelltree
04-09-2011, 05:45 PM

The Offspring. I'm sorry but his voice sounds like a hacksaw crossed with a dying cat. I cannot stand it and the music style drives me insane.

Probably something nice by Clint Mansell :)

Dancing Queen of course. Sheesh :P

AdrianF
04-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Dont have one.. :shrug: yet.

The Wedding by Julie Rogers :sadeyes:

All of ABBA I am an ABBA tragic :D Used to have all of their albums, still have a lot on my iPod

Adrian

Ric
04-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Our other favourite song is "Love in a Elevator" by Aerosmith.

I'll say no more otherwise the mods will close the thread.
:evil2::evil2::love2:

Terry B
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I always presumed that that was the intention. It was the stupid poms that then made it a hit instead of the joke that it was suppose to be.

M54
04-09-2011, 07:43 PM
1. Anything by Meatloaf.

2. Annie's Song. (Hey, it was 1975)

3. I like most of Abba's music. Honey, Honey is good.

mishku
04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Worst song I've ever heard, courtesy of H:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xzWbRwOio

Octane
04-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Mish,

You really shouldn't be posting videos of yourself trying to sing.

Flawless victory.

H

mishku
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
it was irresistable, h, fame is a cruel master.

m

PCH
04-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure that level of rudeness was what the OP had in mind with this theme actually Terry. Are you happy if we now follow your lead and we now start referring to stupid Aussies and stupid 'anyone elses'?

Duh :screwy:

Waxing_Gibbous
05-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Oy vey!
Where to start.
1) ATM - Justin Beiber (any song).
Preceeded by - Mylie Cyrus (any song), Daddy Cyrus (ditto), Johnny Cougar, The Makaraina, Garth Brooks, "Total Eclipse of the Heart", Four non-Blondes, that Skater-Scum chick, "La Vida Loca", Harry Chapin, "Honey", etc. etc.

2) Our wedding song "Salmonberries" (I'd walk through the snow barefoot.) by KD Lang

3) Waterloo

ngcles
05-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Hi Suzy & All,

Okay, I'll bite.

(1) Anything Culture Club (Boy George) ... wholly and completely appalling, devoid of any redeeming qualities. Much worse than Vogon poetry and then some. A few people have thus-far answered "anything rap" -- valid response save that I don't class rap as music at all in any sense. "Rap Music" is an oxymoron.

(2) Stairway to Heaven -- Led Zeppelin (not at the wedding of course but we do generally regard it as "our song"). Love the Rolf Harris version too.

(3) I don't mind a bit of Abba at all actually. For "pop-music" it was generally very well made and had much musical merit. There are quite a few I'm fond of but my favourite is "Take a chance on me". Catchy tune, lyrics are neither "deep" nor complex but somehow resonate with me. Rather unusual key for '70s pop-music too -- B maj(??).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crgQGdpZR0&ob=av2e

and Agneta Faltskog winking at me in the clip is sublimely, utterly irresistable ...

It is amazing how much film clips that accompany popular music have changed compared to the stuff of the mid-'70s. Here, a wink or an intent, slightly open-mouthed gaze was pretty much as "racy" as it got.

With so many of the clips from the last several years, it's difficult to tell whether it is a singer they have taught to strip, or (as I suspect) a stripper who has taken a few singing lessons.

Gee don't I sound old ...

Best,

Les D

FJA
05-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Ouch! :confused2:
Well, as a (hopefully not stupid!) pom, I thought it was bloody awful and I don't know anyone else who likes it either. :shrug:

As for the OP

1. Where do I start?! I can't stand anything by Dr. Hook.

2. I'm not married and am struggling to think of anything, not liking 'romantic' songs.

3. 'Gimme gimme gimme (A man after midnight)'.

Terry B
05-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I wasn't meaning to be rude sorry. Just call me a bogan.

PCH
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the courtesy of a reply Terry. I accept your explanation with no hard feelings :thumbsup:

Suzy
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Awwww... nicely sorted guys. :thumbsup:
I appreciate that it can get difficult at times with what we say and the way it comes out in text. ;)
Am so glad everyone's happy now, because for a moment there, Abba's "Mama Mia" was going thru my head, followed by SOS. :lol:

Suzy
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I was trying to get that as a ringtone on my phone the other day. :lol:
I said, hey, what's going on , la la la la :whistle: Wouldn't I be just the most annoying person standing next to you when my phone rang. :rofl:

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't handle KD Lang's music... to me she always sounds like she needs to be put out of her misery.http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/../vbiis/images/smilies/questionicon.gif If I stood next to her whilst holding a bag of rotten tomatoes, I couldn't be held responsible for my actions.:help:

Oh boy, you should stay right clear of my place then when I have he Playstation Singstar with my voice belting out Karma Chameleon. It's the only song out of hundreds that I actually get singstar on. :rofl::rofl:

Not even "Walk Right In or Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk?" :eyepop::lol:
Their greatest hits album has been my most played album for the last 10 years. :lol: .

Oh my goodness Mishku, I just saw the video and I have to say that your voice is certainly unique and one that only a mother could love. :help: :rofl:
(Am teasing of course, I know it's not really you. loved that clip, I even had it on facebook and on this forum a while back).;)

Suzy
05-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I dare everyone to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs)(am surprised no one has mentioned this song). I will even pass you all a rotten egg to whop me with, if you can catch me of course (there's not much of me.. I hide easily :P).
hehehe, stuck in your head? :P :face:

astroron
05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I have watched it all the way through for the first time ever OMG :rolleyes:
I didn't put that down as I thought there would be so many more who would :screwy:
Yes it is going round in my head:mad2:
Cheers :thumbsup:

GeoffW1
05-09-2011, 06:14 PM
OK

1: Joni Mitchell - 'Big Yellow Taxi'....the closing lines make me want to throw up

2: Not sure about Mrs W1, but for me, Henry Purcell's 'Trumpet Tune and Air' (it was my choice)

3: There's 2...'Chiquitita' and 'Does Your Mother Know' - jeez they were clever pop composers

Cheers

michaellxv
05-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Fortunately I read the title and was able to close the window before the music started.

Mariposa
05-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I have a list, but just to mention one: YOu are beautiful by James Blunt, it is not the song, it's the voice of this singer, I just hate the way it sounds.

Not my wedding song, but a special song when we had to separate for a while, living in opposite sides of the world, I felt identified with the song My Heart Will Go On, by Celine Dion.(yes that awful soundtrack of Titanic)

Chiquitita, Spanish version.

PCH
05-09-2011, 11:55 PM
1) Don't mean to be rude, but all that weird stuff that 'H' likes just about has me spewin'. Sorry 'H' - no offence intended. My needs are clearly much less sophisticated than yours obviously.

2) Not at my wedding, but my favourite wedding tune would be Schubert's Ave Maria. For a tune with lyrics, The Wedding by Julie Rogers is a real beauty.

3) ABBA - I unashamedly love them all. I'm just a real pop fan and ABBA were the best of the bunch for me when they were around, - and I still like them now. They got a bit of a wrap on '60 minutes' some time ago where they spoke of the technical excellence of the ABBA technique and repertoire.... sang across about 15 octaves etc etc. Well, the technicalities were beyond me, but I got the general idea.

If I had to choose just one, difficult though it would be, I'd have to say Chiquitita - but only the Lithuanian version, nothing else comes close - lol

Octane
06-09-2011, 12:01 AM
That's quite OK, Paul.

I live in my own little world. But, that's OK, because, they like me here. :P

I like complex, thought-provoking and challenging music. Not just in terms of composition, but, the more difficult the music is to play, the better. I prefer my musicians skilled, and, not just any run-of-the-mill 3-chord guitar hero. :P

But, here's a nice easy one for you: http://youtu.be/Q0JyuUzT_N0

H

mishku
06-09-2011, 12:10 AM
In H's defense, I actually enjoy much of the music he suggests, as long as it does not involve Whitney Houston, tween-age children or annoying cats.

M

Octane
06-09-2011, 12:15 AM
lol!

Cheers. :P

H

P.S. nyan cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4) rules.

PCH
06-09-2011, 12:45 AM
H,

well thank you for that. I did actually listen to all 4.44 of that and, well, hey it wasn't bad at all - for a nice easy one. Well we are all different aren't we! I can't see it catching on with me though. My thoughts are obviously much more easily provoked !

I remember at high school back in pommieland when my mates were all into Jethro Tull, Sabbath and Deep Purple,.... I never dared reveal that I was more of a fan of Tom Jones, Slade and The Seekers :lol:

And Mishku, hey that's ok - no need to apologise :D Don't think I've heard H mention Whitney Houston though. Although she is pretty cool imho

PCH
06-09-2011, 12:48 AM
OMG .... aaarghh! I take it all back. I didn't get past 11 secs before pining for Fernando - sorry !

Steffen
06-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Oh look, another music thread! :D

Tough choice, but I'll go with (almost all of) Simon and Garfunkel.

"Come to Me" by Björk.

An impossible choice, so many hot picks. If pressed I'd go with "I Let the Music Speak".

Cheers
Steffen.

Suzy
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Surprising isn't it? :P:lol:

I've never heard of that one :shrug: so I you-tubed it and hmmm.. I did not like :sadeyes:. First Abba song ever I think I didn't like.:shrug:

ALL the way thru? You sure do take a dare seriously. :screwy::lol:
Unless of course you actually liked it and you're not admitting it.:question::help:

You don't play fair. :P

Wasn't that classed as the most played song on radio and in turn also the most hated. :question::lol: And I think that's about the time when she took a really long holiday off the airwaves and started playing in Vegas becasue there was just "too much Celine around".:question: I like that song!:D Not surprising.:rolleyes:

H secretly really likes Abba's "Nina Pretty Ballerina" (http://abba%20nina%20pretty%20ballerina) & "Rock Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-dvf-C8Lk), he's just not admitting it here. :whistle:

Oops, I'm doing it again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-dvf-C8Lk) one more time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyIlkNnwSs)...
guessing that rules out Britney Spears as well. :lol:

:face: sheeez did I have some fun with everyones quotes! :scared3:

Grimmeister
06-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Suzy,

As requested (as penance for my heart attack I caused in my post RE SEQ Rain http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=80302).

Anything Lady GaGa :eek: I could write a novel as to why but lets leave it at that.

pachelbel canon was our wedding song. Love it :)

hmmmm ABBA, so many choices but I think "the winner takes it all" was a classic I will never forget.

Cheers

Anthony

Grimmeister
06-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Im sorry but just going back over this thread and now have to hang myself due to the You Tube video link by Misku:sadeyes::sad:

That is the worst youtube film I have ever and will ever see:help:

ngcles
06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi Anthony & All,

No, I'm sorry it isn't. Steel yourself before you dare to watch this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6tBdovAgO0&feature=share

Up front warning: it gets stuck in your head too ...

... and thanks for the tip on this clip a couple of months back from jjj and Paul!

Best,

Les D

Grimmeister
06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh good god, please tell me during the coming months of clouds and rain that there is more for me than this? surely it can't get any worse????:sadeyes:

I have listened to too much and now I have that tune in my head, la la la laaa laaa laaa laaaaaa laaaaa.......:thanx:

GeoffW1
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah ! Fernando too ! I forgot that one :P

Suzy
06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Ahemmm *clear throat*
Now watch this version without the autotune :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNm6l4FwABE&feature=related

Classic comment at the bottom of the video saying he's still better than Bieber. :rofl:

Grimmeister
06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Just got back from th bathroom, nearly pissed myself laughing, that was better than the original :rofl::thanx:

astroron
06-09-2011, 09:43 PM
He sounds like he is reliving his baby talk, absolutly dreadful:screwy:
Cheers:thumbsup:

mishku
06-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Trololo guy is one of my favourite things on the internet!!!

Steffen
07-09-2011, 12:31 AM
I am shocked. SHOCKED! :eyepop:

I heard the song (along with the rest of the Visitors album) for the first time on New Years Eve 1981/82 on a bootlegged cassette that my dad had just sent me from Singapore, and it struck me as the most profound track Abba had yet done (and would ever do as it turned out). It is not a commercial pop hit for the top-10, that's for sure, but most of Abba's great songs aren't.

Cheers
Steffen.

jjjnettie
07-09-2011, 08:38 AM
That's freaking awesome.
I didn't think the Trololol guy could get any better, but he did.
Definitely FB worthy.
Thanks Suzy. You're the best. :D

jjjnettie
07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Trololo guy 34years later.
With random people in the background including Darth Vader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyOhcwXmbIs&feature=related

Watch it, because you're worth it.

Suzy
07-09-2011, 10:36 AM
:lol::lol::lol: To both your last two posts Nettie.

Now watch this poor cat having to come to terms with Trololo guy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjVWMzFaumI&feature=related

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

mishku
07-09-2011, 02:17 PM
No but seriously, I hope I am that fabulous in 34 years :thumbsup:

bloodhound31
07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
1) Name one song (or artist whose music) that you loathe the most. American pie (Don Mclean) actually, all versions drive me barmy.

2) Your wedding song (or a song that's special to you & your partner). Lots of chillout from the ministry of sound chillout annual 2002.

3) Your favourite Abba song It's a 50/50 between Chiquitita and Eagle

Jen
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
:D oh i could go on for ever in this thread :lol:

Barbie Girl by Aqua :mad2: it does my head in :screwy: and all Abba songs (sorry Suzy) :bashcomp:

I Finally Found Someone & Lets Make a Night to Remember by Bryan Adams and Im a Believer (shrek version) :lol:

3) Your favourite Abba song.
Refer to question 1 :lol::lol:
now to hide from Suzy :scared3: