PDA

View Full Version here: : Help with wedge Bubble level. Meade Super Wedge

BlackWidow
03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I have been having trouble for some time with aligning and guiding and am getting very near getting it right. I have been getting poor guiding and seem to have just about got it sorted.. However I do have a question about the tripod level..

I have been using the bubble level that is part of my Meade Super Wedge, and two nights ago I had good tracking... I however used several other levels place at different locations on my wedge to discover that the bubble level on my wedge is WAY OFF... Then I got thinking as many have said on forums not to use the built in bubble as it is alway off..

Is this the case and should I level using another bubble level or electronic level? Or is the Mead one in the Wedge calibrated in the factory to allow for any variance in the casting or assembly of the platton? It is very clear when looking at my bubble in the Wedge that it has been pressed into the case on a slight angle...

has anyone else had this problem and can they give thier opinion on this.. I want to get the best guiding I can and all these things clearly help. The less PHD has to correct the better result I should get, so I want to make sure I am getting the correct levels.

Regards
Mardy

RB
03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi Mardy,

It's hard to imagine that Meade takes "that" much care when mass producing these wedges.
I don't go by the factory built bubble level, I just get my little spirit level and level the tripod.
I ignore the built-in level altogether.

:)

jjjnettie
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Ignore the bubble level. Personally I use a small 10cm spirit level, ($2 at the cheap shop) and level the mount nth-sth then east-west. Then check again after balancing especially if you're set up on grass. The mount will dig into the turf and can throw it out of kilter.

jenchris
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
pop the bubble out and level the tripod as you can using exterior tools - then apply some glue and pop it back in and set it correctly - then you can use it properly

Omaroo
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
It's also a furphy that mounts need to be level at all - they don't. They just need their RA axis to point directly to the SCP. From there, everything else is relational.

The only reason you're better off levelling is that if you have your altitude adjustment pre-set from a previous session, (and it was level during that session) a subsequent session may not require you to adjust altitude as much as you may otherwise need to. Apart from that, tracking and guiding do not need a level mount in order to function.

BlackWidow
03-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks all for your help.. I did as Jennifer suggested and poped out the bubble to find it was poorly mounted. I went to Bunnings (little plug here) and go myself a USA made bubble level. I took levels all over the place as the castings are uneven. I also removed the compas bolt and tested that for level machining.. It was good.. I then got the mounting level and replaced the original bubble level with some metal glue and tapped it in place. A little tap her and a little tap thier and it read the same as all the other levels..

As Omaroo suggested it may not be required, but I will still do my levels anyway, and it gave me a little job to do. I also got a great deal on some drill bits that they had at Bunnings... Can never just by what I went for when I go into a Hardware Shop.... Or a Telescope shop for that matter LOL

Thanks
Mardy

jenchris
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Even though it is true yu don't need it to be level, it is easier to set up if there's an level indicator that will allow you to use the quadrant on the wedge with reasonable accuracy

Barrykgerdes
03-09-2011, 03:42 PM
As Chris says the wedge does not need to be level but it is often easier if it is.

If you are having trouble with alignment and guiding with the Meade fork mounted scopes check you declination for retrograde motion. It is quite common and if it exists in your drive auto guiders can get quite confused if they need to reverse direction as in autoguiding.

This is often more prevelent in a set up that is very close to a perfect polar alignmnent.

Barry