PDA

View Full Version here: : Who is this person

musab
02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
SHE POSTED THIS ON CLOUDY NIGHTS

August 29, 2011 at 16:00 local time (14:00 Greenvich), the apochromatic H-bomb has finally exploded!

An 8" F/6.5 apochromatic doubled objective, made of the very simplest glasses - F1 - K8 (F2 - BK7 Schott), has been successfully tested in the laboratory at the optical bench with 220mm F=2500 mirror collimator.

No visible false colors on a thin string of a bright lamp when looking through a 50x microscope instead of an eyepiece.

The doubled objective has a Diffraction Optical Element (DOE) at it's rear surface - a so called Freshnel lens.
Such a combo - two lenses + DOE, allows to nullify a chromatic aberration - inherent to achromatic objectives. Sphero-chromatic aberration is also nullified in such a system.

We expect a complete telescope tested under a real sky within 5-7 weeks.

Valery Deryuzhin.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/4779191-IMG_8861.JPG

casstony
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Valery posts on various forums occasionally - he's an optical designer associated with Aries Instrument Company in Ukraine. He's known for developing the Chromacor and SAFIX among other things.

anj026
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
He seems to be highly respected in the optics industry. He is also known as the optics designer of the Astro Physics maksutov cassegrain.
http://www.company7.com/astrophy/maks/250f146.html

This new DOE development sounds very interesting.

Andy

Waxing_Gibbous
03-09-2011, 02:17 AM
I've been sort of following this thread on CN.
Valery is indeed a highly respected optical designer and it would be foolish to dismiss this scope out of hand. Seven years or so in the works is a lot of R & D.

However, I sort of wonder - to what end?
The 'premium' APO market, if not exactly flooded, is certainly well stocked with the likes of TEC, AP, Tele-Vue, Takahashi, APM etc. and more-than acceptable (occassionally class-leading) refractors can be had from Astro-Tech, ES, TS and Stellarvue at moderate prices.

I suppose if he can produce an AP quality scope at a WO price, the world may beat a path to his door, but they're already doing that for his very limited production, and outstanding, Aries Maks. :)
Oh well.
Good luck to him!

gregbradley
07-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds like he had incorporated his Chromacor with a cheap to make doublet.

Good on him.

It depends on the aperture really. The photo looks like the scope is about 130 - 150mm in aperture and at that size prices are high from all those scope makers.

If he can sell it at a profit for way less than these other large scope makers he may be on a winner.

It would also depend on how large a corrected circle comes out at the end of the scope. Is it only for visual or is it useful for imaging?

Greg.

Peter Ward
07-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Ah... I suspect that would be a Fresnel lens.... or maybe Woolies have lenses in their fruit department these days???? :)

BTW Canon also use a similar element in their DO series lenses... which are OK (very compact is the selling point) , but not quite as sharp as, say, an aspheric L-series.

toc
13-09-2011, 07:38 PM
From the comparisons I have seen, the biggest difference seems to be contrast - the DO images have a slightly 'dreamy' quality about them. It will be fascinating to see how this new scope goes - not sure I can handle an 8 inch refractor though...:)