PDA

View Full Version here: : 'airliners' reject

hotspur
30-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Well all great things come to an end, last year I took an astro image that ended up all around the world,and surprisingly ended up with some very prestigious awards.

As it had a plane it,I ponded 'airliners.net',as you all know this forum is the absolute highest standards.I had some help re PP by experienced people,They thought maybe and only maybe it could have a chance.

I have seen so many people try for this gong-most have the highest end gear Canon 500 L etc etc,and all have failed,never known anyone to make the grade.And I failed too:(

My son sent in a few images,and failed,all I can say if this image failed,none of regular photographers ever have a hope.

Oh,well,I am just pleased with DMA,NASA APOD etc and REX's monthly pay cheques.

Not sure why airliners sent me the image with the banner,But I will take it and get it printed,and keep it.

Cheers Chris

Nightshift
30-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Chris,

I'm not suggesting it is but my guess is they just thought it looks too Photoshopped.

It may have been a freak moment in time that you captured but any half decent Photoshop guru could produce the same photo by means of superimposition. Its a shame you cant read the VH number on the wing or identify the flight, together with the exact time and location it would help verify the shot. What I can tell you is that it is a Qantas Q400 or what we used to call a Dash 8 or Dehavilland Canada Dash 8, DHC-8, made by Bombardier now.

Never mind, I like the shot. Cheers, Dennis.

Nightshift
30-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey I just had a thought, why dont you approach Bombardier about the shot, they may be interested in it as a promo shot, worth a try.

http://www.bombardier.com/en/aerospace/products/commercial-aircraft?docID=0901260d8002e7df

Cheers, Dennis.

troypiggo
30-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd be peeved if I sent them my image, they rejected it, then sent it back to me with their watermark all over my image!!!

hotspur
30-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes Troy-rather peeved really not sure why the did that,everyone else who has been rejected has never had their image sent back too them with their water mark all over it.

Apparently,it appears it was rejected for minor mistakes I made in sending them the image,it was not the exact size and some other really minor mistake I made,They want me to fix it and send back to them,But I really cant be bothered-it will most likely be rejected again.Like I said I have known some really wealthy reteired togs with the best gear ever,and lots of time to PP,and they have never been accepted.Even if you took a photo of Fiona Horne flying past the moon on her broom stick -you still are unlikely to make 'airliners' Troy.

troypiggo
30-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Mate, if it was just some resizing and other "minor mistakes", surely you could have done that in less time that it took to post this thread?! If it really meant that much to you to make this thread, seems like such a simple fix and problem solved.

BTW - I saw Fiona Horne and DefFX down at The Playroom at Tallebudgera years ago. Hotness.

Octane
30-08-2011, 01:24 PM
You only have to read their image submission rules to see that minor things like colour casts, imbalance, excess or under sharpening, etc., gets an image rejected.

They only have the highest quality images on that site.

Sometimes we have to take a step back. What we perceive to be beautiful work is sometimes seen as mediocre by others. Yes, your image has won gongs and has been seen around the world, but, it was accepted by people who aren't as stringent as airliners.net is.

Be proud of what you've achieved and aim for something even better next time.

Photography is an art. Art should never be about winning awards; it should be about conveying a feeling, and evoking emotions or getting a message across. That's what art is about. If you happen to win the hearts and minds of institutions along the way, then, so be it. But, it should never be the sole reason behind why you depress the shutter release.

Don't take it to heart.

H

dugnsuz
30-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Chris - They've sent the image back to you in the exact same way they present images on their site, with you credited as copyright holder too.

I would imagine they'll publish after the minor changes are made.
It's such a unique and serendipitous image they'd be daft not to!
Good luck

Doug

leon
30-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Chris that is a moment in time that you captured, and I'm sure you jumped up and down with excitement when you nailed it.
I have been trying this for ages, and failed every time, but that's life.
I can understand your disappointment, but it is not a failure, it is as H described a piece of art, and it is simply amazing.

As you know, and I have seen your work close up, it is up there with the best of them.

Leon

hotspur
30-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes,Troy I might look at going back and re PP ing the the image,there is a long list of other issues I will have to look at as well.So would take quite a bit of time.Doug and others seems to think the image may actually make the grade,after adjustments-as it does seem odd they sent it back with water mark,none of all the other attempts I've heard off have ever had that before.

BTW-I'd rather have lunch with Fiona,than do PP:rofl:

hotspur
30-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi H.

Please note all,my post was not meant to be seen as a 'Rant' as it did not get the gong,More a chuckle at myself and for people to see that the image is not always going to get the thumbs up.We all know how difficult it is to upload to 'airliners',and maybe it could still there.Regardless,I am happy with the image,and all that other stuff was not expected.

Yes,Humayan I agree photography is to be enjoyed,its not about winning gongs,I hope I have not given the impression otherwise,I rarely go into comps,and it took a bit of propmting from others here to submit that image to those arenas in which it got the gongs,

Leon-after taking the image-was surreal=-like a crewman on the 'Bismark' that sunk the 'Hood' with one shell,complete quite and shock that had actually completed the task given, in perfect fashion with no drama.Took a while to believe it-still does

Cheers Chris:thumbsup:

DavidU
30-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I had a look at that site and could not find a moon shot as good as yours.
Adjust the image to their needs and re submit it.

FlashDrive
30-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Chris .... put in a complaint to CASA or FAA :lol:
just kidding...!!!

But still....worthy of a listing on their site.

Flash.

hotspur
30-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes-Should call out NTSB,first time its been in an arena,and not come back with a 'successful mission' decal! (tongue firmly in cheek,chuckling).

Will re work the image-but it will take longer than lunch with Fiona Horne.

I have to fix,noise,sharpeness-looks like too much,sizing and well there is a lot of reading on the links they gave me on all the other things I have to fix.
Such a lot of work,just to get an image with someone else's banner through it.I thought there was only a few things "wrong" with the image,but it appears
a lot more than I first thought.

Might be worth ago,I like you Dave thought some of the other moon/plane images did not quite have the impact of this one.(that's not a rant,just an observation).

FJA
30-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Bit of a cheek of them, to say the least. :eyepop: I've looked at Airliners.net a few times and they seem to be very strict about what they will or will not accept.

Octane
30-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd wager also that the watermark is an automated process -- they most likely turf the original image.

H

GeoffW1
30-08-2011, 07:41 PM
That's good I think

Hagar
30-08-2011, 08:10 PM
This sounds a bit like a thread posted recently about images in the Malin awards just this time the shoe is on the other foot.

hotspur
30-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Its amazing what comes to the surface with a bit of berley ;) and see the colours

Hagar
30-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Just stating a fact. Maybe a bit close to home. Just overhead I suspect.

hotspur
30-08-2011, 08:52 PM
No-just out in the open for all to see now 'hagar' ;)

FJA
30-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I take photos of birds and other wildlife as my other hobby. I think that I have got really nice pictures, then I see photos by others, photos that make me want to chuck my DSLR and lenses in the bin. But I don't let it worry me too much, I just try and be better.

Octane
30-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Faith,

Post them in the terrestrial imaging section. : )

H

stephenb
30-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I have submitted aircraft photos in the past to airliners.net and had them rejected also. Their conditions and guidelines are not consistent and I've seen some shockers get though (IMO). I've given up and just take aircraft photos for my own enjoyment.

I personally think yours is a beauty and something to be proud of. Go with Dennis' advice - Bombardier may be interested.

I cannot recall the history of your image but I'm guessing it's a Sunstate Dash 8 Q400? I have a couple of 1:400 diecasts of these (https://store.jetphotos.net/images/P/GJQFA864-300.jpg)

Stephen

FJA
30-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks, I will do.

I've even got some Aussie birds. :)