PDA

View Full Version here: : why couldn't this work as a carry case idea 8"SCT?

cmr
26-08-2011, 09:10 PM
hi im still new at IIS and ive just bought a C8 OTA (still waiting for the mount to arriuve.. so no firs light yet...) and am wondering what to do for a storage/transport case... ive looked At some pelican style cases and aluminium road case suppliers, but when i was in my garage earlier tonight doing somethign else stumbled across my esky... a large quite solid plastic construction, with an internal cavity of approx 50 by 30 by 30... now - if i got some good high density foam and shaped it right, why wouldn't that make a good storage box for the OTA, at a much cheaper price than a custom pelican style case... any suggestiosn or warnings thanks ...:screwy:

casstony
27-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi Chris, any container big enough to fit the scope and some sort of padding is fine for transport or short term storage. For long term storage you shouldn't have the scope sealed in a tight space - better to have it on a bench away from dampness with a cloth over it in order to avoid mould.

High density foam is good for padding but a few layers of bubble wrap would be ok too (and cheaper).

A thief is less likely to target a scratched up old esky than a shiny expensive looking case too.

cmr
27-08-2011, 02:37 PM
In case anyones interested, $58 esky from supercheap, wheels and locking catch - a bit of foam i had lying around with half circles cut out to fit under the OTA (I'll get something better when I have time to go to a foam place)- http://www.chrisrowney.com/astro/c8eskycase.jpg

casstony
27-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Looks great Chris - the double wall of the Esky gives extra impact protection too.