PDA

View Full Version here: : Chucking out large printer in Sydney?

mental4astro
26-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Unusal request, but does anyone know of a large printer/copier that's being chucked out?

I'd like to be able to remove gears 'n' stuff for a couple of progects I've got going.

Sydney location as that's where I'm at. But if there's chuckers & retrievee's else where, you are welcome to post here.

Mental.

Poita
26-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh no, I threw out a broken A0 inkjet just last week after hanging onto it for 5 years.
I'll keep an ear out though.

mercedes_sl1970
26-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Alex - would any of the recycling centres be of use?

Andrew

Barrykgerdes
26-08-2011, 05:47 PM
You should have asked earlier.
I just ditched my Magicolour 2300 and bought a new Brother 4570CDW last week.

The old one needed a new drum. However the toner cartridges were more than half full.

I put it in a council cleanup. It was gone an hour later.

Barry

kinetic
26-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Alex,

I have suggested this in the past: Look up a place that
services photocopiers/printers. They usually have to dump a 6x4 trailer
load of the good stuff every so often. Sometimes it's stored down
the side of their shop or in their car park.
My wife used to work next door to one of these places and they
didn't mind me going thru the stuff and taking what I wanted.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=550572&postcount=149
I was in heaven for a while there :)

Steve

mental4astro
27-08-2011, 07:39 AM
AAAHHHH!!! How often is it a case of "missed, by that much...", :P

Ta Barry and Peter.

Andrew, I have been looking, but most only pass on still working ones. I'd rather a dead one and leave the live on to continue being used. Also, if someone can tell me of a unit that's available it makes the process a bit more efficient.

Steve, it was your posts on this that inspired me actually! :D. I'll ask about too. Cheers.

Any dead beasties out there?

tlgerdes
29-08-2011, 07:11 AM
You could try Reverse Garbage at Marrickville. They take the school kids there to make things out of the bits and pieces people throw away.

mental4astro
29-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Reverse Garbage is a great reasource, but it's more miss than hit for something like this, as it is with everything there.

A mate did go by there just recently, but nothing there along these lines this time. I'll try to get there again soon too.

I've got a lot of stuff from there. Lots! All the router gigs I've made have been made from MDF board got from Reverse Garbage. Perspex, some Coreflute off-cuts, material to make scope covers with (I've made 4 so far). Lots of stuff.

Still, if any one knows of a printer that's on its way out, do let me know please.

Mental.

ZeroID
30-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I know it's across the ditch but I work for Xerox. Many of my useful bits have been salvaged from dumped copier/printers. Gears, shafts, rollers, stepper motors etc.
If parts are reasonably small for shipping I don't mind having a look round either my own already extensive collection or the jumbo bin at work.
Can you be more specific as to what you were looking for Alex ( or anyone else for that matter ). I can also score small PC fans, power supplies, chucked out PC RAM, all sorts of stuff.

If I can oblige it would just cost shipping to you or maybe swaps for something I might want. Let us know anyway and we'll see what we can find.

mental4astro
31-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Most generous, Brent.

I'll PM you some thoughts in a couple of days (I've got work upto the gills at the moment for too much thought right now).

ZeroID
31-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Cheers Alex, I also have a colleague who pops across to Sydney about every 2-4 weeks at present. He left this morning for a 5 day trip so another possible option. I could get him to leave anything with reception at the Xerox office maybe for you to collect.

If you PM me with your project ideas I may be able to come up with alternative options rather than looking for specific gears, ratios etc. Sounds interesting, my kind of fun.