PDA

View Full Version here: : Remembering your DEADLY TREADLY

supernova1965
17-08-2011, 06:37 PM
The deadly treadly I remember was the first BMX bike in australia in around 1973 I really remember it because it had plastic fuel tank and mudguards and motor and My parents had it on the far side of their bed and I saw it and couldn't see the pedals and thought it was a motorbike after a seconds disapointment I was thrilled it was the best Deadly Treadly in my neighbourhood and I was envied amoung all my mates:D

AdrianF
17-08-2011, 08:51 PM
26" with 3 speed T bar shift on the cross bar with twin hydraulic brakes (not disc) twin headlights bright red and shiney.

Adrian

The_bluester
17-08-2011, 09:05 PM
My deadly (have never seen another before or since and I have no idea what happened to mine, I was a kid when I had it) looked like a regular dragster style thing but had a very high center bar (sort of the opposite to a girls bike) and the pedals out on a horizontal frame hanging off the back wheel.

All looked pretty normal but under the seat was a locking lever, unlock it and the bike had a steering head at BOTH ENDS! The one under the seat was spring loaded to come back to centre but what it let you do was rediculous. You could ride along with the front wheel going more or less in a straight line while you steered the rear wheel to ride the back of the bike side to side, or ride it along in a straight line with the front wheel and rear wheel about two feet out of line with each other but parallel. Or even crank the rear hard to one side, hold the front brake and ride the back of the bike around the front wheel in a circle!

that thing was just stupid fun! But I would probably kill myself on it if I still had it now aged forty instead of ten.

Nightshift
17-08-2011, 09:34 PM
72, Red TARAX dragster.

if you dont know what tarax is then you are less than 40 and not from Melbourne.

The_bluester
17-08-2011, 09:39 PM
This made me google it. Mine was like this but green instead.

http://www.europarock.com/Swing.jpg

DavidU
17-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Ooohh a TARAX dragster! awesome. I had a second hand 28" foot break hub bike then a 27' with Stermy Archer 3 speed hub gears ! and I still put a set of sissy bars from a dragster on it.:lol:

Jen
17-08-2011, 10:28 PM
:rofl::rofl: boys boys boys :rofl:

Well i had this pretty pink bike (barbie bike) with all the tassels hanging from the handle bars and the poxy sound bell that would never work properly and i also had the lovely white basket on the front with the flowers on it :rofl::rofl: I felt like such a sissy riding around with it so after a week i trashed the basket pulled off the tassels and spray painted the bike black :rofl::rofl: then nagged for a BMX :P i should have been a boy LOL LOL :D

cfranks
17-08-2011, 10:34 PM
This is the style of my first bike. Solid steel construcion too!!

Charles

marki
17-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Malvern Star dragster in purple with three speeds. Used to have a Tbar to get it to change gear......oh and playing cards attached by cloths pegs to the back wheel to make it sound like a motorbike :P.

Mark

The_bluester
17-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Oh god. Why did I read this thread and why did I go hunting the net for the one I had as a kid. Looks like it would be a collectible now!

mswhin63
17-08-2011, 11:14 PM
I had a similar one to this and when one of mates (no brakes) smashed into the back of me made me push off the seat and into the 3 speed T-Bar.

Well all I can say is that it would have made a good Funniest Home Video. Bit painful :eyepop: though including a small stint in hospital.:ashamed:

Also remember pegging cardboard on the frame against the spoke to get the loudest sound.

ZeroID
18-08-2011, 06:55 AM
'Deadly Treadly' ..?? I thought you were talking about stepping on spiders or something.
Didn't really get a decent bike till my second year at college. Used to ride to school barefoot with one arm over the saddle and 'skiing' my feet through the frost on the grass verge. Any previous 'bikes' were various cast offs and put togethers.

Currently riding ( when it gets a wee bit warmer ) an 18 speed Avanti alloy framed, carbon forked beastie. My 21 speed Mountain Bike got 'lost' by my stepson who can't remember where he left it after borrowing it.

Still enjoy riding, I can't run due to knee damage from snow skiing in past years and walking is too slow mostly so a quick 20-30 km bike ride is excellent. No impact from pedalling to aggravate them. Some of our local motorways have ride/walk paths off to one side so I can avoid the more dangerous roads for the most part.

Ric
19-08-2011, 12:28 PM
As a young tacker I had a Tricycle which was awesome as you could really reach some breakneck speeds and remain stable. I loved that bike as it was different to what all the other kids had.

My mum & dad swapped it for a Malvern Star dragster to slow me down.

It didn't work. ;)

jjjnettie
19-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I used to ride a Chopper to school until year 10. :lol:
Extended forks, small front wheel, big wheel at the rear. A tall sissy bar behind me, a stupidly long seat and a set of almost, but not quite "ape hangers" in front.
I could carry 5 people on it.
One sitting between the handle bars, one sitting side saddle right in front of me, another sharing the seat behind me, and another right at the back hanging off the sissy bar with their toes gripping onto the frame work of the bike.
We thought we were so cool.

I seem to remember another member on this forum had almost exactly the same bike. :D But I won't name and shame. I'll leave that up to him. :lol: :P

Shoulda been born a boy too. ;)

torana68
19-08-2011, 03:19 PM
meh, its not all its cracked up to be..... pushies....good things but mine always threw me off, had modified dragsters (modified moulded frame , flames etc) then a nasty 5 speed Sturmey Archer, a not so brilliant English Engineering exercise from the 70's, on to a ten speed with light weight everything, all of which was replaced with lighter weight everything which I still have and about 50 more :D