PDA

View Full Version here: : Nikon D7000 versus Canon 5D Mk11

gregbradley
17-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The Nikon D7000 seems to get a hot review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm

Apart from the fact its an APS sized sensor it seems it outperforms a 5D Mk11.

But how important is it to have a 35mm format sensor?

I know my first EOS film camera had great depth of field with its 24-105mm lens. The later DSLRs 20 and 40D took great photos but lack that depth of field that makes so many shots look great.

Perhaps its wiser to wait for the 5D Mark 111 which should be out in the next few months.

I want a camera to do landscape shots as well as time lapse videos.

Alex is the reining champ and he uses a Nikon D3 I think.

Comments?

Greg.

Paul Haese
17-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Go full frame mate. I have the D3 and love the beast.

Octane
17-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Being an out-and-out Canon fanboy, I would say that it is immensely unfair to compare 2011 sensor technology to 2008 sensor technology.

The 5D Mark II is a joy to use. It is worth noting that it is not designed to be a point and shoot system, or a sports camera. Where it excels is in landscapes and portraiture (studio and/or otherwise). The right tool for the job, and so on.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the way Nikon systems render skin tones.

The 5D Mark III and 1Ds Mark IV should be out at some stage next year and will be awesome.

H

alexch
17-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Greg, for astro-landscapes my vote goes for the full frame too. Main reason - wide angle is wider with the larger sensor. 14mm gives you 114 degrees diagonally on 35mm and 91 with APS-C. For time lapses I find the wider - the better.

I use Nikon D700 (D3 in a smaller body), D3S is one f/stop better in noise department. My main argument in favour of Nikon is the Nikkor 14-24mm lens. Nothing like it exists with competitors, however you can use it with an adaptor. Also I don't see any reason to go higher than 12MP for night time landscapes because there is no high-frequency detail there to utilise higher resolution (just my view).

D700 is going cheaper now awaiting a new (most likely higher MP) model.

Cheers,
Alex

RB
17-08-2011, 07:13 PM
LOL....Ken Rockwell, nuff said.

Octane
17-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Andrew, there's that, too. :P

H

RB
17-08-2011, 07:28 PM
:lol:

DavidTrap
17-08-2011, 07:41 PM
You could wait for the much anticipated D800 (replacement to D700) - it's been expected for about 2yrs now. Apparently, Nikon delayed all new releases after the tsunami affected production.

The D700 with it's larger pixels is appealing for Astro-work, but the newer sensors leave the old ones for dead - even H is calling it unfair to compare a 2008 vs 2011 sensor (let alone Canon vs Nikon). The rate of improvement is astonishing.

I used a D700 for a photography workshop recently. I was contemplating getting a D7000, but I'll wait for the D800 as I've spent the money on expensive glass to suit the full frame sensor, so why compromise by buying the APS sensor.

DT

gregbradley
17-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes I think basically nothing beats full frame. All the gadgetry can't make up for the lack of the full frame sensor.

I'd be more interested in its use for time lapse and landscape as well as general photography so skin tones would come into it but nowhere near the importance you would need it for with your wedding photography.

I hope the 5D 111 is out before next year.

Yes good point about FOV. I want one of those 14-24 Nikkors too.

Why whats the matter with Ken? The reviews seem OK?

You must know something I don't.

The D7000 is the latest. But I see a D800 is anticipated along with a 5D Mark 111 soon.

I'll probably continue the wait for the 5D Mk111 or maybe pick up a 5D Mk11 which are now cheaper here than in the US -can you believe that?

Greg.

gregbradley
17-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I meant this to be posted in the equipment section. Sorry about that I must've clicked the wrong link.

Greg.

gregbradley
17-08-2011, 08:40 PM
So what did we conclude - that full frame rules and what the Canon or the Nikon is better? (let the flames begin heheehe).

Greg.

Waxing_Gibbous
17-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Ken Rockwell is without doubt a good reviewer, but has an unashamed bias toward Nikon.
A full-frame sensor is unquestionably the way to go for landscapes, portraits, "scenes" and the like. The 5DII is a lovely beast and with 'L' glass, pops-out beautiful sharp images with agreeably neutral but vibrant tones (it says here in my notes :) )
I use an old Hi-8 for time-lapse so I can't comment there.

I shoot Canon, but have always preferred Nikon ergonomics if that's any consideration.
I usually agree with 'Octane', but I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in the way Nikon render's skin-tone. Maybe a little more "tanned"?

Where Nikon does seem to have the edge is in low-light performance. I have noticed much less noise in Nikon images at ISO 200+ in dark scenes.
I doubt you'd be disappointed with either camera though.

Paul Haese
17-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Neither are any better than the other really Greg. I don't agree with what H said about skin tones. Being a Canon fan boy has tainted his unbiased point of view.:P. Alex is right about the 14-24. That image I posted recently of the milkway over Clayton obs was taken with that lens. Using pretty high ISO and 50 second single sub gives you an idea what the Nikon gear is all about now. For astro work I reckon both the high end backs are worth looking at now. For years Canon had the edge but that is pretty well over now. So you have a greater choice now. Mind you I have been a Nikon user since the early 80's so I have a slight bias myself.;)

Steffen
17-08-2011, 11:17 PM
The D7000 is exceptional, Nikon really hit the spot with this one. In order to get a better camera you'd have to spend substantially more. For the Nikon fan it also has some endearing pro features, such as the ability to use Ai lenses.

Cheers
Steffen.

gregbradley
17-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I see so he prefers Nikons if he had a chance.
The Nikon also has larger pixels and probably this is the reason for the better low light noise.

Can you set an exposure longer than 30 seconds without needing an accessory?

I could never understand why DSLRs all seem to limit exposures to 30 seconds before needing an accessory or has that been fixed in later models?

Thanks for that Steffen. I also like the way Nikon allows older lenses to fit the latest camera. My first DSLR was a D70 which I liked. My first SLR was an EOS Canon and it produced many fabulous film images.

Greg.

strongmanmike
18-08-2011, 12:28 AM
He he I got a D7000 :thumbsup:...haven't used it for astro work yet though...:question:

MIke

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 07:48 AM
You chose well. It sounds like a fabulous camera.

Greg.

RB
18-08-2011, 09:00 AM
When it comes to brand names, I'm fine with either Canon or Nikon.
I've seen great terrestrial photos taken by both brand of camera and at the end of the day you'd be hard pressed picking the difference once it's printed and personal post processing has been applied to either shot.

I have stuck with Canon because I started with the good old 300D for astro and since my subsequent lens purchases have all been Canon, I've just continued with their bodies.

I like Nikons too but since I'm so used to Canon, it is my preference to stay with them and I do like all their gear and L class lens lineup.
I still use the 20Da for astro for now.

As for Ken Rockwell, he may present a "thorough" review but having looked through most of his site and having read some of his comments, I've gone away cringing and have formed a very low opinion of him, so I take what he says with a grain of salt.
I'm like that with any fan boy opinions because there's an underlying biased that taints their ability to be objective and subsequently you'll find they become arrogant in their behaviour.
I avoid such people like the plague.

That said, it doesn't mean Nikon is better or worse than Canon, it's like the old Ford vs Holden argument.

My recommendation to people that ask is to pick your preferred lens lineup and stick with that, because bodies will come and go, but quality lenses will last you a lifetime.
I just happened to have picked the Canon lineup, so I'm happy with my 5DII, my 7D and my trusty 20Da.

Good luck in your choice Greg, and as for Ken Rockwell, he's good for a laugh but there's other much more competent reviewers out there that I'd prefer to read.

:)

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for that reply RB.

There's also DP Review which seems to be more technical in its reviews.

I'll wait until the 5D Mark 111 comes out and see what its got to offer.

Greg.

RB
18-08-2011, 09:48 AM
If you have Canon lenses already then I'd stick with Canon.
You could be waiting awhile but it makes sense to see what the 5D III has to offer.
Both full frame 5Ds (Classic & MkII) have been a success and you can't go wrong, in fact for landscapes I'd say a full frame sensor has it's advantages.

If you find Nikon has features you prefer then go with a full frame Nikon model.

Omaroo
18-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Greg - try Camera Labs review - both textual and video. I find them very informative, and the style of presentation is very "matter of fact". I really, really like their video reviews by Gordon Laing.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D7000/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II/

Make sure you take the video tours on these pages.

dannat
18-08-2011, 09:52 AM
i think with the APS size sensors- the chip used in the nikon d7000 & pentax k5 (i think is the same - a sony chip if i remember)..from test shots i have seen are better at high iso / low light than the equivalent canon variants (leaving full frame aside)

Paul Haese
18-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes and no. Yes if you have a computer connection, but generally you need the cable release (not really that anymore).

It really steams from manual shutter technology. In the modern case though the shutter is still moved manually but requires the camera to move the shutter rather than the cable doing the job.

The D70 had an infra red port which meant a 30 buck accessory for shutter release but that got canned for some reason. Even to me it is still a mystery. I think the high end Canons have the facility to set a timed exposure of greater than 30 seconds.

DP review is about the best reviewers on the net for camera gear. I am with Andrew too. Buy good glass and change backs when you like. That is why I went with Nikon. I started buying their lenses years ago and I still have a 25 year old lens that works on my D3. Their mounting system has not changed since the 60's. That idea has worked for me personally. Although each manufacturer makes its own fair share of great lenses. For instance the Canon 400mm f2.8 is very sharp and the Nikon 135mm f2.8DC is very sharp. It becomes more of a personal preference in the end.