PDA

View Full Version here: : Insurance companies

AdrianF
17-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Recently I had my laptop take flying lessons down the back stairs. Well I was told by the insurance company that it was covered under accidental damage and to get quotes for repair/replacement. Which i did, most expensive quote i got was $1200 least expensive $800. I was told that it would take between 3 and 4 weeks. 43 days later still waiting for replacement and the insurance company made an offer of a gift card to Myers for $395 to replace my $1800 laptop, I of course told them what to do with the offer. who are they trying to kid?
Now they won't even answer emails or phonecalls. My claim worker is always away from his phone

Adrian

PCH
17-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Well, if nothing else, you'll know who not to go with next year :lol:

casstony
17-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I use an insurance company which has an office in my town - it's a lot harder to fob off the customer if he/she is leaning accross the counter making a pest of his or her self. I won't do banking with a company which doesn't have a branch in my town for the same reason.

AdrianF
17-08-2011, 08:11 PM
When I signed up they had an office in town. But that was 20 something years ago. And i signed up for new for old replacement insurance. This is the first time I have made a claim on the company.

Adrian

TrevorW
17-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Well I recently received a renewal for my building insurance, the premium had gone up and so had the smount they calculated as the replacement value

When I asked the question and stated they had overestimated on the replacement value they said they couldn't reduce the amount so my premiums would go down.

I said if I cancel this one then ring up to get a new policy at a lower replacement value that would be OK, sure thing.

I told them to stick it, cancel my policy, I'm going elsewhere

blindman
18-08-2011, 09:40 AM
THEY must be some secret society.
I do not see any point winging, without naming them.
If something is wrong, it has to be named, and we all can learn what to do when we face similar situations, isn't that true?
Nev

multiweb
18-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Insurance policies are written black on white. They need to be read from beginning to end and understood. Don't assume you are covered because someone told you so over the phone. Read your policy. If it says so in there then go back to the insurer and claim your laptop. If it doesn't then you're not covered. Simple. They're all the same. They go by the book. There aren't any good ones or bad ones at the end of the day.

Poita
18-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Contact the Ombudsman straight away, in writing, and let the insurance company know that you are doing so. If your claim worker isn't available, tell whomever you do get on the phone that you are going to the ombudsman as you are not getting a response from them. It will usually be uplifted pretty quickly.
I've had issues with many insurance companies trying to wriggle out of claims, even when they are pretty clear cut and the coverage is indisputable. They sometimes still hold out and offer lower value as an option, explain that you are not willing to take the lower offer, and that you require payment as per the policy, then uplift it if you don't get it. Be polite but firm, and do it in writing - on paper, not just via email.

Visionoz
18-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Yep, I agree with contacting the Ombudsman - my dad in February had his garage ceiling collapse (about half the whole ceiling area) and when the insurance company had a look - took 3 weeks to knock him back saying silly things like - "no gusty strong winds etc" so no claim!:mad2:

After the Ombudsman got involved - it became err... "poor workmanship/shoddy building practices etc" - and it's a well-built 6yo home by reputable builder and almost like-new because he lives alone and that's when I got involved - got structural engineer and his company provided a fitness certificate and the rest was done by the Ombudsman

The moment the claim settled I got my dad to leave them, getting a pro-rata refund and got him a new one from my insurers

Moral of the story is: "Don't let them get away with it!"

YMMV

Cheers
Bill

FlashDrive
18-08-2011, 11:50 AM
There are some " scum bags " around.... they take your money and when you have a " legitimate " claim .... they start a whole lot of " dodging and weaving " ... procrastination ... and any other form of non-payment crap .... to try and throw you off making a claim.

I'd be changing my Insurance company.

Hope you get your rightful claim and then get rid of them.

Flash :)

casstony
18-08-2011, 12:08 PM
We've had a few claims with AAMI over the years and they've always processed the claim in a fair and timely manner, so we stay with them even though they're not the cheapest. I detest companies that make you jump through hoops in order to deter claims.

AdrianF
18-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Today is day 44. I have called the company again and they are getting requotes from their suppliers. Why I don't know. I had 3 quotes from reputable dealers but the insurance company needs to get quotes from their preferred suppliers. Have threatened to go to the ombudsman.

Can I name the insurance company?

Adrian

RB
18-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Best not to name them here on IIS Adrian.
People can send you a PM if they want.

AdrianF
18-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I thought it might be in breech of TOS that's why I asked first.

Adrian