PDA

View Full Version here: : Quick Q: can Celestron SCT fork couple onto Meade wedge?

mental4astro
17-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

Can I couple an orange tube C8 onto a Meade wedge? Will open a few more options if yes.

Alex.

renormalised
17-08-2011, 11:56 AM
If it's still with its own forks, no. As an OTA, I'm not so sure if it'll fit the Meade forks. Haven't tried, myself.

Both scopes have different bases to their fork mounts and the bolts in different positions to connect to their wedges.

Barrykgerdes
17-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Alex

I don't think the holes line up. I know I once modified a Meade standard wedge for someone to use a Celestron XLT but I don't have the details any more. I think I had to use an earlier version telescope mounting plate as the later type is only suitable for the LX90.

Barry

PS I also made this universal plate to fit a 10" LX200 on the standard wedge. This could also be drilled to suit the Celestron. If you can bring your wedge and C8 around I am sure I can make a similar plate for you.

Poita
17-08-2011, 12:25 PM
No, and the base to tripod holes are different as well from memory.

Still though, making an adaptor plate wouldn't be too hard.

I have a C8 wedge, but will probably sell it along with the C8, you are welcome to borrow it though.

casstony
17-08-2011, 01:04 PM
When I need to mate dissimilar parts I often use thick plywood, coated with varnish to make it waterproof. That's a nice offer from Barry though :thumbsup:.

mental4astro
18-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all that!

Very generous indeed, Barry & Peter. Do you work with steel Barry? I don't need an "adaptor" just yet. I really seeing what my options are. I've got a stick welder at home, & the only thing I'd need is to have some steel cut to size & I can assemble.

The plywood option is viable too. Can weld a nut to a bit of steel & screw it onto the ply. The ply is easier to cut as needed.

Cheers.

Barrykgerdes
18-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Alexander
I have all the necessary tools to work in steel. I am short on a bit of steel bar (100 x 10mm) at the moment till I find a new supplier.

Barry