PDA

View Full Version here: : Sky Safari for Mac

kustard
16-08-2011, 01:59 PM
After a bit of a debacle with the App Store, Southern Skies have released Sky Safari (A limited time free version and a Pro version) on their website.

They have had some issues with getting it released on the App Store (and it seems their iDevice version have also been removed) so they are releasing the Mac versions on their website at a reduced price until it gets sorted.

I'm halfway through downloading it now and if the version on the iPad is any indication then it'll be a great app for the Mac.

Omaroo
16-08-2011, 10:17 PM
It's a good app Simon - I was a beta tester, sworn to secrecy lest I be keel-hauled and tickled with a spiky feather.

Enjoy! :)

Octane
16-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Just grabbed the free version. Looks absolutely stunning. Very, very smooth. Will get the full version shortly. :)

H

Steffen
16-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Another bleak hour for the App Store gatekeepers. This could have been a nicely grossing app for both Southern Stars and Apple. I've grabbed the discounted Pro version from Southern Stars directly, probably like many others who've been eagerly awaiting the release.

Cheers
Steffen.

Omaroo
17-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I've just installed the Pro version and it looks great. They've tidied up the GUI a fair bit for the final release and it looks very slick now. The beta wasn't complete in this regard, and we were promised that by release it would be presented properly - which it most definitely is.

Geez it's smooooooooooth. :thumbsup:

mithrandir
17-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Fine for you Mac users. iPhone users are stuffed until Apple get their act together.

Octane
17-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Downloading full version now, yay.

H

Robh
17-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Downloaded the SkySafari Pro version this afternoon.
Fun-tastic easy to use interface.
Over 15 million stars, 742000 DSOs etc.
Worth every cent.

Regards, Rob

Octane
17-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Mine keeps crapping out before the download completes. Hrm!

I've tried twice now; failed after 500 MB. I'm housesitting at the moment so won't try again lest I go over their data allowance. Will grab it from home.

H

blindman
18-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Downloaded free version on my mac, wasn't impressed much.
Starry Night seems better as well as Stellarium.
Regards

Omaroo
18-08-2011, 10:46 AM
May I ask what leads you to that conclusion? What aspects of SkySafari did you not think were as well executed as the other two? A blanket statement isn't any help here. Are you attempting to compare the free version of SkySafari to the Pro or mid-range version of Starry Night? The Pro version of SkySafari is the best of the three you've mentioned in my opinion. Remember that this is version 1.0 of SkySafari Mac too... give it a little time to mature like the others have.

You miss out a lot of features and number of objects with the free version of SkySafari - and it's designed that way. I personally think that Stellarium is clunky by comparison - but I expect that as its a multi-platform compromise.

mozzie
18-08-2011, 12:56 PM
just down loaded skysafari pro very impressed easy to use find dso with ease cant wait to get my scope to control it...no more starry night pro for me!!!!!

one question can i use my meade 507 then keyspan to usb, to control scope.using my mac book pro or only wireless version available....

Omaroo
18-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey there Peter :)

Great to hear! I think you'll like it - it's very logically laid out and works with both their SkyFi and SkyWire controller interfaces. You could buy a SkyFi and control the scope from indoors wirelessly, or the SkyWire for a directly-cabled local connection from your MacBook Pro's USB port to the 507. RS-232 serial cable goes an awfully long way - so either ways will work brilliantly.

Not sure about the KeySpan as I don't have one - but worth a try, or at least a question of their Yahoo page. :thumbsup:

mozzie
18-08-2011, 02:26 PM
thanks chris
ive asked the question there and awaiting a answer,i find it alot easier to use then starry night and much quicker,when using starry night to mac its 507-meade rs 232-keyspan-to usb i think and was hoping to to the same with this programme..... cannot do this at moment as scope still not here..

Dennis
18-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I’ve got SkySafari Pro 3.0.3 running on my iPad2 with the SkyWire RS232 dongle connected to my Tak EM200 Temma II and all seems to work well in the garage!

Cheers

Dennis

vanwonky
18-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Downloaded the SkySafari Pro version yesterday for the Mac. Brilliant! Love the observing list amongst other things. Great for a newbie.

I should have my hot little hands on an Argo Navis setup very soon just for 'push to' on my Dob and was wondering about the ability to hook it up with SkySafari. I see the setup only talks about wireless and bluetooth. Has anyone tried this or know any more? Is it possible?

Cheers
Dave

Omaroo
18-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Yep - it works :) Here's mine on my G-11 in push-to mode:

vanwonky
18-08-2011, 11:27 PM
That's what I wanted hear!

Dennis
19-08-2011, 05:58 AM
I understand that 3.0.4 in now available on iTunes.

Cheers

Dennis

kustard
19-08-2011, 06:29 AM
The iDevice versions are indeed back up on the iTunes store, versions 3.0.4. Still no word as of yet about the Mac versions to be sold through the App Store though.