PDA

View Full Version here: : Keep my EQ6? or change for a HEQ5?

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi,

Recently i have purchased an EQ6 with Skyscan. Realising that it is too heavy to be move all the time, i was thinking of exchanging it for a smaller version the HEQ5. It is to fit a 8" scope. The EQ6 w/skyscan was $2150 and HEQ5 w/skyscan is $1685 meaning if i exchange it to a HEQ5, i'll pocket $465 back.

Just want to ask on opinions whether it is worth changing it back for a HEQ5?

many thanks

h0ughy
22-02-2006, 10:39 AM
The EQ6 can easily be broken down and carried. I personally think that the value for money will come down the track when you wish to place a large aperture scope on this mount. By removing the weights from the setup in can easily be moved without the scope on top. But it is your choice? If setup correctly, the EQ6 will be more stable HEQ5 IMO

janoskiss
22-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Heavier usually means sturdier, so it's a compromise. 8" f5 will probably be a breeze for either, but like Crazy Dave says, if you decide you want to put a larger scope on it later, you might wish you had the EQ6.

JohnG
22-02-2006, 11:08 AM
My opinion, don't do it, you should always get the heaviest mount you can afford, you are swinging the 10" off it arn't you, for that reason alone you should keep the EQ6, FWIW the 8" would go even better, lighter weight, EQ mounts can always be broken down into lighter components. You WILL regret it.

JohnG

acropolite
22-02-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree with the others, and I haven't ever seen the two side by side for comparison. There can't however be that much difference in weight and size and the added carrying capacity and sturdiness of the EQ6 may be necessary as you progress.

ving
22-02-2006, 11:20 AM
gotthe eq6 now, and you are probably the envy of quite a few poeple here because of it :P

if you are imaging there is no such thing as "too sturdy" :)

JohnG
22-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Meant to say GEM's can always be broken down.

JohnG

rochler
22-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I guess, but I'd hafta agree with the group on this one. I think you'd be better off keeping the EQ6 despite the extra weight, coz it's gonna be sooo handy when/if you catch 'aperture fever' and get a bigger OTA or if you get into astrophotography in a big way. Even if you aren't putting a big OTA on it at the moment, hanging lots of extra camera gear on it requires better stability etc.

Up to you really, but you could end up regretting it if you quit it now...

Good luck on your tough decision!

[1ponders]
22-02-2006, 11:42 AM
If there is one golden rule in amateur astronomy and that is "Bigger is better" :lol: Not really but you get the drift. If you are going to try your hand at imaging then consider this bit of maths.

Take the carrying capacity of the EQ6 and divide by two (50%). From that subtract the weight of your 8" newt, a guidescope, a camera, finderscope, telrad, attachment for camera to scope and all the other bits and pieces that end up being on your scope/mount. Now how much do you have left out of the original 50% You won't have much if any.

Now do the same exercise with the HEQ5. Which has the greatest left over or the smallest deficit? That's the one to get. I'm betting it'll be the EQ6.

Oh and btw in one of your other threads I made mention about the weights of mounts. It's not so much the weight as the awkwardness of it. My G11 mount without scope but including weights is around 45 ish kg. Take the weights of and its only about 30 kg. In itself not really that heavy. but boy it is awkward to move. But you work it out. Once you learn the best place to pick it up from it'll be fine. Oh and don't have your legs fully extended (if they are) you don't need them extended that far if your imaging and having them shorter (fully retracted is best) adss to the stability.

Sorry rambling on there. The long and the short of all that is, Keep the EQ6

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies all. Really helped me out.

I know keeping the EQ6 would be a better choice. But what if im planning to go down the astrophotography path and not the visual path? i dont think i will be getting any bigger aperture tele. planning to get ED80 and digital SLR soon. With the $465 back, could really help me to purchase the equipment as im struggling abit but got addicted to it :) is HEQ5 that big of a difference to EQ6? oh forgot to mention if i swap it back, it is for the HEQ5 "PRO". and the hand controller is only v2.02. so might get an updated version too. also read somewhere the EQ6 has problems too?

When viewing and taking pics, the legs on the EQ6 mount are not extended at all, infact, i still think it is too high to look into the focuser was one of the reasons to maybe decide on the HEQ5 pro.

your formula 1ponders seem to be ideal. thanks mate :)

ving
22-02-2006, 12:10 PM
then the eq6 is the better mount for astro pics.... really stability is everything... just save for anything else you need/want.

allan gould
22-02-2006, 12:18 PM
There should be an HEQ-5 Pro review with picture coming soon to this site. I routinely run an 8" SCT on mine and its almost flawless.
Regards, Allan Gould

JohnG
22-02-2006, 12:22 PM
According to the specs I just looked up, the EQ-6 has an instrument weight capacity of 25Kgs, the HEQ-5 Pro, 15Kgs, the standard formular for a mount that will be used for astrophotography is the instrument and all equipment should not exceed 2/3 the carrying capacity of the mount, Paul has put it correctly, that is what I would be working on.

Tough decision isn't it.

JohnG

Striker
22-02-2006, 12:35 PM
EQ6 with Skyscan...the rest has been said....lol

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Ok, added a Poll :) I have to decide today so i can cancel the order for the HEQ5 if i decide to keep the EQ6.

h0ughy
22-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Ezy if you thought that lugging the gear around was going to be easy, and set up a breeze, with no problems whatsoever then I think your reaction of "too heavy and not easy to move" sounds about right. You already own the EQ6, so I don't see where the arguement for and against should be carried on. I am not exactly sure what you really want, a light mount to carry heaps of stuff? Doesn't work unless your floating around in space! there are more learned people with heaps more experience than me, you've read what they have said, and I am sure you have researched it well too. if in doubt get the heavy duty version, if you have no doubts then go for the other mount. aesthetics is not everything! Whatever you do , enjoy what you have and enjoy the moment.

Striker
22-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I say buy both....then you know your right eitherway....lol

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 01:27 PM
i forgot to add:
Keep EQ6
or
HEQ5 Pro + "$465 cash back"

not a straight swap otherwise i'll keep the EQ6 obviously :)

Dave, i know with the heavy mount, i'll get lazy carrying it out and back into the house was another reason.

I should list some of the main reasons what i was thinking:

- Heavy to carry out
- Can get some cash back so i can invest in other equipment
- newer version of hand controller instead of v2.02a (not sure the difference but peace of mind)
- goto feature not accurate? maybe HEQ5 abit better?
- heard EQ6 has issues later

might be more but i can't think right now :P

Striker
22-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I can just see your post in 12 month...or if it was me 3 months.

Dam I wish I kept the EQ6 I want a bigger scope now......lol

Miaplacidus
22-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but your original post doesn't say if you ARE planning on photography. If not, just put the OTA on a dob base for $100.;)

norm
22-02-2006, 01:44 PM
EQ6 imo.

allan gould
22-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I should have mentioned in my previous post that I have a Losmandy G11 with Gemini goto for my 10" SCT. The reason I purchased an HEQ5-Pro mount was the following:-
I wanted a more portable mount that would enable goto as well as DSLR and autoguided CCD work at home (light polluted) or if a wanted to take it to a dark site. Also had to run of a portable battery. I had an 8" SCT that I wanted to put on this mount. The toss up was a Losmandy G8 with Gemini or HEQ5-Pro or a Vixen GPdx with goto. The obvious answer was the HEQ5-Pro from the cost point of view. When I got the mount, I tested goto, backlash, guiding etc and I knew I had made to correct choice irrespective of the cost factor.
Also the best mount/scope combination is the one you use most often. In my case its the HEQ5-Pro and 8", not the G11-Gemini and 10". But I'll never sell either after having many refractors and SCTs I have finally found what suits me visually as well as functionally.
Regards, Allan Gould

JohnG
22-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Seems to me that you have made up your mind , all I will say is that ALL mounts have issues, you just got to learn to deal with them to get the best out of them. I'm afraid I agree with Striker, I will await that post.
Any way just enjoy.

JohnG

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 01:56 PM
EQ6 it is! :) and you wont see that post in a few months time :) might go the 10" or 12 " SCT later on down the track i guess.

allan gould
22-02-2006, 01:57 PM
If this were to be your only mount then I would suggest the EQ6 rather than the HEQ5 as aperture fever always strikes. The HEQ5 would NOT take the weight of a 10" SCT or 8" newtonian for astrophotos. An 8" SCT would be the limit for guiding astrophotos in native form, better with DSLR or f6.3 reducer. I may have been very lucky as my HEQ5 has v. low PE and smooth motors.
Regards, Allan Gould:violin:

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 01:59 PM
I took the advice from all you guys so i decided to keep the EQ6! guessss what now? rang up the guy to cancel the order and he told me it is on the way!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

He said he will try to cancel the order if he can and will call me back.

nooooooooooo!!

Striker
22-02-2006, 02:04 PM
So you did take my advice...buy both...lol

ving
22-02-2006, 02:08 PM
well if you cant get stop the heq5 order just give it to me ;)

JohnG
22-02-2006, 02:09 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 94445" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2>EQ6 it is! :) and you wont see that post in a few months time :) might go the 10" or 12 " SCT later on down the track i guess.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 02:48 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You made the right choice, see, aperture fever has already set in.:lol:

JohnG

ACE
22-02-2006, 02:25 PM
On the topic of mounts and me being a newbie, does this mean you can mount a 10inch dobsonian OTA on an EQ6 ?

[1ponders]
22-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm like Allan. I have 3 Eq mounts. G11 at home loaded to the hilt, GM8 (HEQ5 size) for travelling photography and visual and an Eq3 for quick pickup and go. Just need a 16" Dob now and my quiver will be complete.

Until next time :)

ving
22-02-2006, 02:30 PM
should be able to ACE :) I cant see a problem with it....

on a side note, I used to swim down at the 'bra beach all the time. gotta be my fave sydney beach :)

Jonathan
22-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Good decision mate.

Have you considered getting JMI Wheelie bars? That would make moving the mount a lot easier. Have a look at Stuart's review here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=47,199,0,0,1,0

EzyStyles
22-02-2006, 03:39 PM
lol, well the guy hasn't call back yet so i guess maybe the order has been cancelled . phew! just one mount Tony just one :)

Thats a good idea Jonathan. The only thing is i have to take the mount down/up 4 steps of stairs which would be quite hard. maybe i make one out of a safeway trolley :)

ACE, no problems mounting a dob to an EQ mount. Just get the OTA rings for it and dovetail and Ving no, if you want it you have to pay for it :)

Thanks for your support and opinions all. really helped this confused guy out.

[1ponders]
22-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about carrying it around Ezy. It won't be long before you have at least a pier in the back yard, if not a roll off roof observatory

cjmarsh81
25-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Ace, This should answer your question. All you need is some tube rings and a mount.

g__day
20-03-2006, 07:46 PM
EQ6 gets my vote.

Johno
20-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Ezy, Now that you have the EQ6 I would love to hear how you get on with it - first impressions, surprises, problems, solutions etc - because I'm thinking about one too.

astrojase
21-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Great thread guys - I own a HEQ5 and have a 10 inch f/5 newt and a 4.7 inch f/5 refractor, piggybacked - no problem with three 5kg counterweights. The first thing I did when I purchased the mount was to extend the length of the counterweight shaft (had a local engineer turn one out for me that screws into the bottom of the factory shaft giving me an extra 250mm length).

Does the job nicely and I use it for imaging, probably at the limit, but still sturdy. Having said that - I too would still get the EQ6 (or keep it in your case ezy) - really not that much heavier! (is it?)

From a 'portability' point of view, I move the mount attached to the tripod around all the time - not very heavy, but a little awkward...and then put the counterweights on when the mount is in situ.

(bit late with my post - but love the HEQ5)

EzyStyles
21-03-2006, 12:47 PM
EQ6 for sure now.

- Very easy to setup and sturdy mount which will take upto 10-12inch scope.

- Polar alignment scope will be better off if it is luminated.

- The Skyscan 'goto' feature is not that accurate (unless im doing something wrong :P ).

- Heavy mount making it awkward to carry around

- Instruction manual is very limited. Have to really learn how to use it on your own

- when skewing fast then a sudden stop, the sound the motors make doesn't sound too good

- Value for money for such a sturdy mount with goto

Havent really encountered any issues with it ... 'yet' ;)

allan gould
05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Eric
It will cost over $300 to upgrade your handset to version 3.12. So in the long run it wont be worth it. Stick with the EQ6.
I have an HEQ5-Pro and it just takes an 8" SCT an guidescope.

EzyStyles
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
lol allan. my last reply was march 2006 :P ... took you 1 1/2 years to reply :) and still loving the EQ6 hehe .

dugnsuz
07-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Eric, the images you are producing with your current setup are very, very good - inspirational stuff for us struggling newbies!!
If it aint broke dont fix it!
Get down the gym if the EQ6 is too heavy!!!!
(kidding!)
All the best and good luck with your decision
Doug

dugnsuz
07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Jeez...
Me Too I've been keenly following a year old thread!!
BaH!!!!

allan gould
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I never look at the expiry date!!!!!!!!!!
Happened with the milk this morning
Allan

ving
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
reminds me of my daughter the other week.... we had a packet of those milk bottle lollies and she went to get one from teh cupboard:

her: "who didnt seal the milk bottles back up!!!" <--in angry vioce

me: "what you afraid we'll end up with yogurt bottles instead?"

hehehehe!!!

since the thread has been bumped i might as well say that the setup you settled for has helped you produce some outstanding pics eric! you obviously made the right choice :)

dugnsuz
10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
That's right ving,
Nice to be able to use the retrospectoscope on Ezy's choice and photography since this thread started!

What would have happened if Eric had bought the HEQ5?
It's just like that Sliding Doors movie with Gwyneth Coldplay!!:P
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup: