PDA

View Full Version here: : MAC uninstall

multiweb
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
MAC have a peculiar way of uninstalling apps. It seems to leave a fair bit of files everywhere unless I'm doing it wrong. Is there a clean up tool of any kind or is it the norm. You just 'App Delete' and that's it? Laptop is my boy's Macbook Pro. About 6 month old running latest snow leopard.

supernova1965
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
As far as I know it is just deleting the program and or the program folder from the application folder and you are done I am sure more regular Mac users will set me right if I have it wrong

troypiggo
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
To date I've just moved the app to Trash, but I bookmarked this which may help:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS _X

steve000
09-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Moving it to trash or using the uninstall tool provided with some apps such as office. After a while it does get bogged down, if that happens can just backup everything and boot from the mac install cd. open disk utility, wipe the main hard drive then quit disk util.. then reinstall the mac os. cleans it up good.

tlgerdes
17-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I think the best way is to move your whole Mac to the trash can, why just leave it at Apps. :P

supernova1965
17-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Just tell me which trash bin although I can't see it being thrown out they just work to good

Omaroo
17-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Funny coming from a bloke who's business is partly based on selling software to Apple users. ;)

Omaroo
17-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Not really peculiar Marc - just different.

Firstly, some application developers will include a full "uninstaller" along with their installer. Simple.

Secondly - if they don't, simply trash the application (or application directory) itself from within the applications folder. Done. Then, if you really want to, go to the MacintoshHD/Library/Application Support folder and remove the appropriate one by vendor name, or sub-folder within that.

Anything else left behind is pretty benign. All applications are properly sand-boxed on 10.7 (Lion) now - so you shouldn't encounter one application screwing up and affecting others.

multiweb
17-08-2011, 06:03 PM
No worries - will pass the info on.

tlgerdes
19-08-2011, 11:44 AM
That's the best thing you can do to OSX, virtualise it, makes it easier to put in the trash :lol:

Funny though the lastest fad in the office is to buy Mac HW and only install Windows 7. Especiallyf or native support for SSD drives that dont have an Apple serial number.:question:

Omaroo
19-08-2011, 05:28 PM
OK (laughing inside...truly!)

Bassnut
19-08-2011, 06:32 PM
hehe, I like yr style :lol:.

Gaud, I hate advice the likes of "reformat and reinstall the OS". Lazy.

When a tech ever recommends that, walk away. Or just buy a new one, ittle be time for an upgrade.