PDA

View Full Version here: : GSO 10" (250mm) f4 Imaging Reflector Review?

ballaratdragons
08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
I have searched for the last few hours but I cannot find any reviews on the GSO 10" (250mm) f4 Imaging Reflector.

Does anyone know of any reviews on this scope please?

Price is good. $649 at Andrews. And $749 at Bintel with 10:1 Crayford Focuser.
But I can't find any reports.

gbeal
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Ken,
I haven't had the 10" f4, but had a long and illustrious term with an Astrotech (so GSO) 8" f4 Imaging Newt. It was an awesome sucker of photons.
BUT.......... it needed major titivating to get it to where I felt it should be. Maybe it was just me, but there many deficiencies that stopped it reaching it's full potential.
I ended up utilizing a better focuser, stiffening (severely) the area underneath the focuser attachment, and moving the primary further away from the focuser/secondary.
This coupled with quick adjustment knobs on the secondary, and stiffer springs on the primary, plus removing the silly "adjustment" knobs on the primary rounded out the modifications.
Great scope? Yes indeed, very nice.
Do it again? No, not sure that I would, I found I was constantly collimating. If you can handle this every time you use it requirement, then it is very very good bang for the money. Factor in a coma corrector too, I used the MPCC.
10" should be the same or better, certainly bigger. I already have a 10" f5 newt, in C/F tube.
Gary

ballaratdragons
08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Gary.

I am after a very fast large aperture for my Video Astronomy.
I have a 12" f5 but it isn't very good for Video or to put on my EQ6.
10" is the most I would put up on my mount.

And with the new GSO 10" f4 I can get it to f2 with a 0.5x focal reducer.

Just wondering if they were worth the expense.

Mighty_oz
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Andrews has prices for the CF versions
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

erick
10-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Your video camera is fairly light weight, Ken - not sure with all the extra hardware you have on it now? I suspect a standard GSO focusser would perform OK compared to hanging a DSLR off it?

Can you find a review of the 8" f4? That should give you some ideas.

I suspect the requirements of video astronomy are not the same as still-frame astrophotography - apart from optics quality?

Logieberra
10-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Does this help? The 12" version reviewed by a fellow IIS member:

http://deepspaceplace.com/at12in.php

Logie :)