PDA

View Full Version here: : Stellarium Mouse navigation issue/question

chrisp9au
04-08-2011, 12:59 PM
For some reason my mouse pointer has gone missing in Stellarium, and I have no way of navigating! :shrug:
Moving the mouse around allows me to 'highlight' selections on the toolbars on the bottom and left hand side of screen,
and I can get the configuration popup to display but can not highlight or select anything on the popup.

My MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 works perfectly in every other application.
I've reset the mouse to it's default settings, and I'm not using any weird pointer or anything!
I've tried re-installing Stellarium V11, and have even gone back to V10.6.1 but all to no avail.

Are there any settings I can tweak to get it back?

Cheers :thumbsup:
Chris

Barrykgerdes
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Are you using version 0.11.0 now.

Ther are some mouse settings in the configiini file. However setting them manually may give problems if you don't know what they mean

You best first solution is to erase the config.ini file in your user area and let Stellarium generate a new one. This may get your mouse operational again. You can than set stellarium how you like it from the menus and save the new settings from the configure menu.

Barry

chrisp9au
05-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks Barry,

No joy I'm afraid.
I uninstalled Stellarium, and deleted all known trace of it.
Config.ini installs in the Appdata\Roaming folder under Windows 7, together with data, modules and stars. The program installs in Program Files (x86)
Deleted all traces, and then ran a cleanup of the registry.

Downloaded a fresh copy of V0.11.0 and installed it, but no change.
It's not just my mouse, my laptop touchpad pointer disappears as well as soon as I start Stellarium.
Have had no problem with any other software since I updated to 64bit about 4 weeks ago; that's the only major change or installation that I've done recently.

I'm running it on a Compaq Presario CQ61, Pentium Dual Core, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, all updates in place, all the latest drivers, including video, NVIDIA GeForce G 103M driver version 8.17.12.7533

In the Config.ini file...
flag_enable_move_keys = true
flag_mouse_cursor_timeout = false
mouse_cursor_timeout = 10
mouse_zoom = 10

I can't think of anything else?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Chris

chrisp9au
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Barry,

I've tried a couple of things...

I have VMWare Player installed, with a Windows XP Pro VM, to run some CSIRO software, so I installed Stellarium V0.11.0 under that: works fine, no problems at all.

I tried changing the compatibility options under Windows 7, running it under Windows XP (Service Pack 3) mode, as an Administrator, and without. No mouse pointer or touchpad pointer.

Could this be a Windows 7 64bit problem?

I don't really want to have to fire up XP just to run Stellarium!

Cheers
Chris

chrisp9au
05-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Also installed V0.10.5 under Linux Ubuntu 11.04 virtual machine, mouse works, but Stellarium fails to achieve an FPS greater than 1.0 !!!!! :P

Chris

mithrandir
05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Does VMWare provide any sort of OpenGL support to guests? Stellarium runs like a dog without graphics acceleration. In my experience on Linux NVidia's OpenGL works better that ATI's.

Andrew

Barrykgerdes
05-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi Chris

Windows 7 64 bit is probably the root of the problem. I have had three installations of it on different hardware and got different results with stellarium. I don't use Windows 7 unless I need to. I prefer XP. The mouse/pointer probably has a conflict in using resources with something in stellarium. Do you have a separate mouse socket that you can use? Check your system hardware in control panel. You may be able to re-assign the resources to get around the conflict

VMawre is handy to run all the things I use if Windows 7 is my operating system at the time but it still needs to have all the necessary drivers.

Also I have dozens of utilities I use regularly built with Qbasic and compiled. None of them work on the 64 bit system

As for your Linux. The FPS is slow because you don't have an OpenGl driver to suit your video display. VM ware aps need the appropriate openGL driver installed on the virtual system.

Barry

ZeroID
05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I've had similar issues with mouse dissappearance but it turned out that the laptop was the culprit. The Sony Vaio seems to run different video drivers from everybody else and loses the mouse. My Tosh and DELL lappies are quite happy with it with any version of Stellarium.
What brand is your PC ?

chrisp9au
10-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I've tried everything I know, which isn't a great deal really!
Stellarium just will not show the mouse pointer under Windows 7 64bit.
When I left click the mouse, the round object locator displays on the screen, but the pointer is nowhere to be seen. The only way I have of closing Stellarium down is Alt+Tab etc. I can't access any configuration or location options etc. so it's effectively useless.

It seems that I shall have to use it under VMWare with the Windows XP virtual machine, which means it will rarely get used! :(

So, back to good old reliable Carte Du Ciel, not such a pretty display, but there are never any display or mouse problems with CDC !:)

Chris

Barrykgerdes
10-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi Chris

Here is something to try
Open control panel
select display
select personalisation

You will get a screen with many options. Try some of them. It may get around your problem.

The screen driver for my G31 intel does funny things with stellarium like showing a transparent screen. I selected one of the basic screen settings and stellarium then works correctly.

The problem is your computer not Stellarium. Many of the latest computers do not render OpenGl correctly. That is where the problem is.

Barry

chrisp9au
11-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks Barry, no go I'm afraid, tried most of the settings with no success.

Cheers
Chris

chrisp9au
05-09-2011, 11:14 AM
After a bit more research (Google) I found a great many people have had this problem with Windows 7, particularly the 64 bit version.

Simple answer, change the mouse settings to remove shadows and trails!

Stellarium is now working just as it should! :)

Cheers

Chris

peteandoreen1
19-04-2013, 12:06 AM
I turned of mouse trail in Win 7 and also Win 8 it now works perfectly.