PDA

View Full Version here: : IE9 file caching

multiweb
27-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Just a note that might interest a few people if you don't know it already or want to retrieve downloaded videos or streamed files. MS has done things really differently with the latest version of IE9 32bit and 64bit. The cache points to:

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet Files

but it is in fact somewhere else in a hidden directory which is:

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5

You'll have to set you windows explorer to view hidden files and directories. In this new location you will see a bunch of hidden directories named alphanumerically. These are used to hold the various files in the cache. When you clean you browser cache the files are deleted and the directories emptied but they remain. It is safe to delete them manually. IE9 will create new ones.

mithrandir
27-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Marc, isn't it more sensible :P to use Firefox or Chrome or Safari?

Less hair pulling too.

Andrew

multiweb
28-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I use primarily IE and always had IE as my main browser. It's still used by 90% of all users out there. IE9 is very good. 64bit even better. I like it better than Chrome as MS as included all the functionalities found in competing browsers.

Safari on all iStuff, Firefox to check compatibility, Chrome ... not really. Too much junk and hidden traffic associated with it that shows in my firewalls logs. Ignorance is bliss.

MikeyB
28-07-2011, 08:19 AM
IE at 90% of users?:eyepop: In Microsoft's dreams maybe - in reality, its market share is now below 45%. Firefox is stagnant and slowly falling at 28% and Chrome is growing rapidly and now at 21%.

StatCounter Global Stats (http://gs.statcounter.com/)

multiweb
28-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I just go by the user agents stats in the servers I run and by my other customers traffic as well and yes any flavour of IE is still very predominant.

FlashDrive
28-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I sometimes wonder ( and I am suspicious ) about the " Google Tool Bar .... and interestingly also Google Chrome have some sort of " phone home " type code written in the software to allow Google to " see and track " what sites people visit .... probably simply for marketing purposes .... but I consider it to be a Privacy Issue.

I have used P2P and Torrents for data downloads ( instead of using a Browser ) for obvious reasons.

I know browser " headers " will tell a sever .. what browser your using ... the server for IIS knows I am using Firefox right now .... and your browser may reveal where you have been ...:whistle: !!! Scarey isn't it.

I use a few dedicated browser " plugins " and filters to " eliminate " as much " perving " by these software companies and ( IP Providers ) as possible.
I run a " Hardware Firewall " at the Router/Modem and a Software Firewall at the Computer., and use a 26 digit random number for Wireless Access.

To date .... and it has been many... many years... ( touch wood )... I have never been compromised by any outside threats ..... mind you ... my firewall logs show many serious attempts have taken place.... but have failed.

But ... what can't be done today ... may very well be easy tomorrow by some clever " script kiddie" or seasoned hacker .

Flash ...:)

multiweb
28-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Yes it does and it cycles its process IDs regularly so if you have a firewall and set it to 'remember' the block it will do it later with a brand new ID. Sneaky. :)