PDA

View Full Version here: : Is this new?

xelasnave
24-07-2011, 03:30 PM
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+micholson+morley+&docid=970109748454&mid=4FA08C87E1EBC75EE5C74FA08C87E1E BC75EE5C7&FORM=VIRE7#

I dont know what to think????
alex

sjastro
24-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I think many astroimagers have experienced a similar problem with their equipment.

The changing interference pattern is most likely caused by flexure of the apparatus, in particular when the apparatus is rotated in a vertical plane.

Regards

Steven

bojan
24-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Hmm...
Partly wooden construction of this interferometer somehow doesn't feel very convincing that all flexures were taken into account.

renormalised
24-07-2011, 04:44 PM
That what it seems to me...flexure. The movement of the interference pattern seem w.r.t the apparatus' position seems to indicate this type of movement.

xelasnave
25-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone:thumbsup:.
I thought the equipment and the control suggested room for error but I did not want to suggest that for fear of you thinking I was having a go at physics.
Different results at different times suggest flex via the influence of temp. maybe...I was trying to find a recent MM replication experiment and those vids Craig posted but got sidetracked. So nothing new here:)
Thanks again:thanx:.
alex:):):)

xelasnave
25-07-2011, 02:31 PM
There is a bit of chatter about this but a chap in Texas built a very solid unit which showed no movement in diffraction lines.
Myth bustted.
alex

sjastro
25-07-2011, 03:28 PM
These amateur grade interferometers are totally insignificant to the research interferometers which use resonating optical cavities, where the laser beam frequency is tuned to the resonant frequency of the cavities.

This results in a sensitivity about 100 million times greater than your amateur built interferometer.

Interestingly if the sensitivity can be increased further by a factor of around a 1000 times it is predicted that Lorentz invariance will be violated (a positive result will be observed).
This will not confirm the presence of an aether, but is predicted in quantum gravity theories.

Regards

Steven

xelasnave
26-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks Steven that is most interesting.
I did see a 20 f00t unit being instaled( 8 men too move it slowly) so our home built model probably wont find anything new. I doubt if someone with a 80 mm scope will discover a new solar system.
alex:):):)