PDA

View Full Version here: : Telescope Advice

Mariner
20-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Hello All,
I am thinking of getting this (see link below) or something like it in the next few months and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the OTA and/or the mount/tripod set up? They seem like pretty good value. I don't know if there is an Intes Micro that is comparable in price. Basically I am after something that is still small enough to be portable as well as under $1000 as I will be bringing it back from the in laws place in the US and need to have no customs problems. I am not brand loyal or even type specific and want the best optics available at that price - so no GOTO or push to etc, just OTA and mount.

I will be purchasing before I go to the US so am starting to look now.
Regards, Frank.
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Cassegrain-Telescopes/Orion-SkyView-Pro-150mm-Maksutov-Cassegrain-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/14/p/9968.uts

Waxing_Gibbous
20-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Its a nice scope.
Basically the same as the Skywatcher 150.
Our soaring $ hasn't yet translated into lower local prices, however you should easily be able to find one for less in the states, which would mean no customs hassles anyway.

You will not find an Intes scope for the same money except second-hand.
There is no longer a US importer and they are rare here.

I think there is a Intes 6511 for sale on a-mart.
That's a VERY nice scope - 6.5", f11, 1/6-7 wave - at around the $1000 mark.
It would ride reasonably well on something like an AT Voyager mount.

The big downside to a Mak-Cass is their narrow field of view. You'll get no 'spacewalk' experience even with an Ethos or Nagler.
You will however get great views of the moon, planets and most DSOs.

If you prefer a wide-field experience a small, quality refractor like a William Optics GT81, Megrez 88 or 90, Orion CF80T or Astro-Tech 90 will be very portable and will take high mags well.
All should be around the US$1000 mark. Less used.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Mariner
15-11-2011, 02:32 AM
I thought that I should update this...... I ended up buying the skyviewpro 150mm from Orion about a month or two ago. They had it on super clearance sale. The exchange worked out really well too. Cost me about AUS$680 including claifornia state taxes!

I pick it up from the Inlaws place before the end of the year.

harwayharry
02-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Frank

I posted a question about the instructions from Meade about polar aligning my goto refractor and i was referred to you because someone thought you had the same scope - a Meade StarNavigator 102 (Audiostar guidance).

Even if not, if you bought a US scope with instructions to align with the North Star, maybe you can help advise me. I'm concerned that if I align to the SCP that the home settings will be 180 degrees out and disaster will follow - any tips??

Mariner
20-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Sorry so late with the reply, I have a Meade Starnavigator 102. It is really simple to align. You cannot polar align it from the polar alignment process it is designed for (obviously because we cannot see Polaris). What you need to do is to find north as closely as possible (doesn't have to be as accurate as if you were aligning a GEM) and do a three star alignment - it is programmed to do a star alignment. Because it has an inbuilt GPS it will know your Lat & Long. Use three stars to give a good 'cut' to fix your position -the more stars you align to the better. Usually starts with Rigil Kent (at 33deg south where I live) and goes on from there. Sometimes it pays to do the alignment twice. When you get it right it tracks really well.

I love my refractor and am still surprised at how well it performs for a $199 purchase from Costco. All that I did was replace the stock focuser with a 2" dual speed crayford style focuser from crawmach - it makes a big difference.

Good Luck.