PDA

View Full Version here: : general telescope information

Jarvis
19-02-2006, 10:45 AM
hello to everyone on this fine website/forum thing. sorry big nite last night:drink: . anyway. i have been in the hunt for a dob mounted telescope for a while now and seemed to have made up my mind on what size appeture i wan compareed to the money that i am able to spend and the telescope i am able to afford is the 10 inch model. now all i need to know is which brand or brands should i start to have a look at. they cant be too expensive as i am only on a meagre wage only being 19 and all so yeah. oh if it can include the transport cost if possible to mackay north queensland or north queensland in general it would be very much appreciated. all help in this matter is really appreciated so thankyou very much.
Chris.:help:

acropolite
19-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't own a dob but GS are acknowledged as the best value for money. If you are shopping for the best price, then you basically have a choice of two dealers, either Bintel or Andrews in Sydney.
Bintel ( www.bintelshop.com.au (http://www.bintelshop.com.au) ) usually inspect and collimate your new toy before despatch, Andrews ( www.andrewscom.com.au (http://www.andrewscom.com.au) )on the other hand usually ship the box uninspected. You may pay extra for the service offered by Bintel, but as you are in Mackay it may be worth the extra, in the end the choice is yours. There are also standard and deluxe models the diffierence in price is around $100 from memory. The deluxe model has a crayford focusser and fans to speed up cooldown time of the primary mirror and for the money is a must have. Bintel have the 10 inch premium at the moment for $799.

Starkler
19-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Phil has almost said it all :)

Another option is the Skywatcher 10" dob from www.myastroshop.com.au
As for which scope is better optically I dont know of anyone who has done a side by side comparison. Either way you'll get a nice scope :)

After you buy your scope I'm sure many forum members would love to help you spend more money on accessories ;)

dhumpie
20-02-2006, 03:01 PM
The Skywatcher's are Synta scopes and the general concensus is that the GS scopes have better mirrors. However I don't think you will be able to see that big a difference at the ep :)

Darren