PDA

View Full Version here: : orion 80 express for photography???

danielsun
18-02-2006, 11:52 PM
i'm looking at getting the short tube refractor (orion 80 express) for travelling interstate for its compact size and am wondering if i could still get some good astro shots out of it using it with a 350D?
Any advice would be much apreciated!!

h0ughy
19-02-2006, 12:12 AM
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5694&highlight=orion+express plus http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6449&highlight=orion+express

I have just bought a 2" baader fringe killer, I haven't tried it yet but will do very soon

danielsun
19-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Thanks Houghy!! That pretty much answered my question and cant wait to see what difference a minus violet filter does.
By the way thats a classic shot of the family crashed out!!! I couldn't stop laughing cause my boys do the same. Upsidedown sideways etc.

h0ughy
19-02-2006, 08:37 AM
the filter is $175, so if you add that to the 579 for the Orion express, andthe fact that myastroshop has ED80s for $549 and a hard case is $129 (not including delivery costs) then i would go that way. Really depends by compact as to your use. See the Skywatcher 80Ed post and the case post for images

janoskiss
19-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Daniel, you might want to check if Stu still has that WO fringe killer (minus violet filter) for sale.

Striker
19-02-2006, 10:37 AM
ED80....for sure...forget about the short tube express for imaging....you may consider it if they were a lot cheaper but their not....it's an easy choice if you ask me.

I have both.

danielsun
19-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks again Houghy and Steve, if i go the express i'll definately contact stu.
I'm wondering which way to go. I really like the compact size of the express but having to buy the fringe killer and to depending on just how much the minus violet corrects the images and with all that being a bit more expensive is something to consider. Maybe the skywatcher ed 80 even though its slightly longer is the go!!

janoskiss
19-02-2006, 11:07 AM
It's not just the length, but the tube diameter too. It's oversized at 100mm for the ED80 (same as the ED100). The express is a lot more compact. You should check them both out at Bintel before buying.

h0ughy
19-02-2006, 11:14 AM
You capitalist you:P :whistle:

if you want and even shorter tube go for a Intes m500, comes with a padded bag too and you don't need a fringe filter, and comes with a finder scope and a diagonal. Remember with either scope you will need a diagonal for visual use.

danielsun
19-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I was at bintel checking them out and comparing them yesterday.day time viewing i couldnt see too much difference between them.

danielsun
19-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Who makes the intes M500 and how much do they cost? I've never heard of them.

h0ughy
19-02-2006, 04:53 PM
its a russian brand of mak, see http://www.telescope-service.com/maksutovs/intes/intes.html but new they are dear, second hand is OK.

[1ponders]
19-02-2006, 05:04 PM
You probably won't see much difference between them during daylight hours Daniel. Unless its a particularly bad scope, (ie. my old 60mm tasco with the click out zoom eyepiece), or you now what specifically to look for. It's when you put it to the test under night skies of extreme contrast of star/planet/moon and night sky that any chromatic aberation will become obvious.

FWIW IMHO unless you are only going to use if for viewing or autoguiding I would definately get the Orion/Saxon/Skywatcher ED80 over the 80 express. Yes it (80 Express) is a more compact design and the overall look, size and build is better, but in the long run it comes down to the quality of the optics and the ED 80 will leave it for dead in imaging.

h0ughy
19-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Yes Mr Ponders is quite correct! Go the ED80 and get the case!;) Also remember you have to buy a diagonal, they dont come with one, and maybe a red dot finder or telrad or similar as there is no guide scope. Now I am not sure but myastroshop has removed their ed80 special price, might have to shop around for price!

danielsun
19-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for help Houghy and Mr ponders.
Just one last thing. I take it that the 80 ed saxon or orion and skywatcher are basicly all exactly the same scope optics wise made by the same factory just different colors and brand names stamped on them, is that right?

h0ughy
19-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes sir, but get the Skywatcher one, it comes with mounting rings and an adapter plate as standard:whistle:

janoskiss
19-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Daniel, I have a 2" AOE diagonal I'm willing to part with for $40. I advertised it before when I was selling my ED80, but the guy who bought the scope didn't need it. The diag worked very well with the ED80; and the views were just as sharp and clear as without it.

danielsun
19-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Sounds great Steve, i'll definately get that off you!! i start shopping for my ed tomorrow so i'll pm you sometime through the weekto arrange pick up.