PDA

View Full Version here: : IceInSpace Merchandise Survey Results

iceman
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi all

Thanks so much for taking the time to fill in the IceInSpace Merchandise Survey.

We had a massive 505 responses, which has given me plenty of data to analyse and I'll start making some plans based on these results now.

90% of the respondents were from Australia, followed by NZ and North America with approx 3.5% each.

In terms of the most popular merchandise, the results look like this:

Ordered by number of 'Definitely Would Buy'

Calendars
Beanies
Red Light Torches
Black T-shirts
Caps
Mugs
Books (Equipment / DIY)
Polo Shirts
Books (with Member images)
Jackets
White T-shirts
Mouse Mats
the rest...

Ordered by total of 'Maybe' and 'Definitely'

Books (Equipment / DIY)
Calendar
Books (with Member images)
Red Light Torch
Black T-shirts
Beanies
Jackets
Mugs
Caps
Polo Shirts
the rest...

How to interpret that?

What that means to me, is people really love things like Calendars and Books. They make great gifts and people like to see what other people are up to, what gear they've got, and what images they're producing. They're also great to share with people who aren't "into" astronomy like we are :)

In terms of apparel, Beanies and Black T-Shirts are the standouts. Sorry Suzy, doesn't look like there's enough interest to get an IIS Scarf :)

For other practical things, the Red Light Torches got more votes than I expected. And Mugs / Hot Drink Flask are popular.

One of the popular "Other" on the list was good quality 'outside' stickers that can go on the car or telescope and not deteriorate. I'll look into it.

Pens and Mouse Mats just didn't rate this time around. Maybe with a physical design to look at (and a cost) they may have rated higher.

Payment Options

In terms of Payment Options, 53% preferred Direct Deposit and 31% preferred Paypal. Interestingly, 11% chose 'Other', and in the comments suggested they wanted to pay via Credit Card.

So I guess there's a bit of education there to let people know that you can pay using your Credit Card via Paypal, and you don't even need to create a paypal account now.

Some people also wanted direct merchant credit card facilities like other online shopping sites - but the problem there for me is the bank charges and software charges to run that type of merchant facility.

It's just not something I'm keen to do at this stage unless a cheap option presents itself.

Next Steps

So, now I'll be looking for some suppliers who can do some good quality merchandise at a reasonable price. As always, the problem comes down to quantities.. The more you get produced, the cheaper it becomes - but then I have the risk of oversupply and not enough demand. My wife doesn't want our storage room filled up with boxes of unsold IceInspace Beanies or T-Shirts. :)

Once I find some suppliers and get some costs etc, I'll let you all know. If anyone works in the merchandise business or has contacts who will look after us, please let me know :)

Thanks again for your time :)

Attached is a picture of the beanie I had done in 2007 :)

jjjnettie
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
What an excellent response!!
A couple of after thoughts.......

You know, I really liked the red light pens you had a while ago. I'd forgotten about them. :D
May I make a suggestion, the embroidered logo could be a tad larger so it's easier to read.

[1ponders]
11-07-2011, 04:35 PM
And some stitch on badges so we can add them to various items to personalize them ...... like mufflers :whistle:

OICURMT
11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Beanies were second??????????

I must be missing something. In the USA, a beanie look like....

I don't think the propeller is going to help me much with the ladies... :rofl:

iceman
12-07-2011, 05:52 AM
That's what they call Beanies in the US?

Strange..

The beanie is the head warmer, like the attachment in the first post of this thread.

[1ponders]
12-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Spam moved to Yeah Yeah bring it on. lol (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=78090)

acropolite
12-07-2011, 06:38 AM
+1 for sew on patches, with regard to T shirts, did the polo shirt option rate, polo shirts look smarter and keep the sun off your neck, for a couple of extra dollars a much better option IMO than a T shirt.

iceman
12-07-2011, 06:47 AM
I agree Phil, I'd like to get some Polo Shirts done.

They rated higher than the white t-shirts but less than the black t-shirts.

I'll find out the costs.

casstony
12-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Would it help if items were paid for before they are ready to ship, or would that make it harder to keep track of who ordered what?

I'd be happy to send funds in as soon as prices/designs are known.

I'd also like to have the option of paying extra for registed post.

iceman
12-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Tracking it isn't really an issue, but I'd probably only do that for higher priced items that have a limited stock run, like we did for the IceInSpace Compendium in 2009.

For general stuff like the above, I probably wouldn't want to burden people with having to 'commit' before I get the run done.

It's just the balancing act about how many to order - ordering more to get the economies of scale, but not ordering so much that you have hundreds left unsold in my downstairs store room :)

iceman
12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Ahh, didn't think about that. I'll think about adding that as an option for some gear.

I try to use prepaid satchels as much as possible because it's easy and I don't need to worry about stamps etc. I'm not sure if they do a registered version (except for the 'express' version).

It will depend on the items and how I plan on posting them (satchels, boxes etc), but I'll keep it in mind when it comes time.

casstony
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Express would help - the first beanie I ordered by regular post went missing.

iceman
12-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Bugger :/
I've sent thousands of 'stuff' over the years (calendars, books, beanies, shirts etc) and I've only ever heard of a handful of things getting lost in the post.

Terrible when it happens though.

Davros
01-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, when can we start ordering :P my last lot of shirts are getting a bit scruffy from three years of constant use.

iceman
01-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Mick

I've been working with a couple of corp merchandise suppliers to get some samples and prices etc. I'm expecting some samples later this week.

Hopefully will have something to share soon.

Cheers

Davros
01-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks Mike, I await news with baited breath. :thumbsup:

Poita
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
We used to call Australian Beanies a "Toque" in Canada.