PDA

View Full Version here: : Bintel Finderscope -I need an answer today please.

Suzy
11-07-2011, 12:59 AM
I've got another thread running at the moment regarding the Stellarview Finderscopes, and I've explained on that thread why I'm now re-looking at a different one- The Bintel one particular - 8x50 right angle, correct view finderscope ($79) for my 10" dob.

Are they any good?

I have to make an order on Monday (tomorrow) so it gets here this week as hubby is going away on the weekend for a few weeks - he's going to fit and set up the finderscope and Telrad, so I need it dealt with asap before he goes away.

Thanks for your help. :)

Waxing_Gibbous
11-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Hi Suzy,
They're OK, but the SV is miles better.
Edge of field is quite distorted and the RA finder is fixed (at least on one) so you can't swap EPs or change the viewing angle easily.
Focusing is achieved by a rather crude and noisy front lens mechanism and I found it difficult to sync with the main scope.

Behind the Stellarvue offerings, "Antares" are probably the 'best', as they offer most of the functions of the SV scope at about 10% cheaper.
Astro-Tech also offer pretty much the same finder as the SV, but there is very little difference in price, though they might be available more quickly.

Takahashi would win hands-down were it not for their expense and lack of RACI diagonal.
Baader is another possibility, but I believe they are about US$360!!!
Last resort, you could check on that US site for used examples of the above.

Again. G'luck!
Peter

ColHut
11-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Dear Suzy

I have a GSO 8x50 RACI finder on my 10" Dob. I think it very convenient to use. However I also use it with a Rigel Quickfinder, as the light pollution is so bad that I need the Rigel to get the finder-scope in the right place, and then it is easy to see the object I am seeking in the eyepiece. I also use some analogue azimuth circles and a digital level for elevation and a palm pilot running planetarium so my needs might not be yours. YMMV etc.

regards

Suzy
11-07-2011, 01:58 AM
I'll go and have a look at the Antares and the GSO.
I wondered why the price of the Bintel one was so cheap, hmm...

Colin, I too use a red dot finder to put it on the star and then use my finder (barely see anything out of it tho) from there along with Starry Nights software. Looking to get the Telrad as well now to help me more.

Trying to get both the Telrad and a quality finder for under $200. If I had to choose one to get at this stage, which should I choose? I'll happily pay the $200 for the SV if this will help me more, but so many people say how helpful the Telrad is. I'm so confused.

Thanks Peter and Colin, really appreciate the input.
If I don't order this soon I miss out on a birthday present until August.:sad:

troypiggo
11-07-2011, 05:59 AM
The finish and build quality of the Antares is not as good at the SV. I found it a bit sloppy.

That being said, I'm using the Telrad only at the moment and the SV doesn't see much use.

Stu Ward
11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I use the Bintel 9x50 RA finder and I find it perfect for what it is intended for. Afterall all it is needed for is making sure you are in the right region of the sky right ??
Focussing and aligning with your scope is a doddle. Not sure why you would want to waste any money on a finder ?

dannat
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I like the 8x50 correct image that comes with the explore scientific scopes & others, the 127 Ed included I think
I have a bintel one & it's nothing special. I also really liked the ones with intes maksutov , but not CI if I remember

jjjnettie
11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
I've been using the GSO right angle finder that came with my dob for years now. When I sold my dobbie, I kept the finder, I liked it so much.

gmbfilter
11-07-2011, 09:42 AM
A couple of scopes ago when I had a 13 " F4.5 dob I tried
a variety of finders I settled on red dot and splurged out on a 33mm Panoptic instead

Great FOV, I don't notice coma I get comfortable and watch the sky go by.
Still my fravourite finder. and eyepeice all in one

beren
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
A while back I sold my Bintel R/C finder scope and replaced it with a Stellar-vue. I kinda of regret doing it now because I found the Bintel pretty good, the stellarvue is nice but not sure if the price difference was worth it.

toc
11-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Thought I would chime in - I was also considering the Stellavue, but went for a Meade one instead. (I have a meade SCT) Im perfectly happy with the Meade, and it does the job well. I guess I wish it had an illuminated cross hair, but with my light pollution, its usually not a problem. The meade has a simple twist eyepiece focusing system, and it works.

Paddy
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Suzy,

I use the Bintel/GSO finderscope and as has been said before it's perfectly adequate for the job. I don't imagine that a more expensive one would be any better for finding objects, although I haven't used one. The main issue it seems to me in star hopping is picking out the asterisms that lead to your DSO and the GSO is fine for this.

multiweb
11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I do all my guiding through GSO 8x50. If they're good enough for that, they're good enough to look in. I have three of them now. :P

ColHut
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Suzy - I would only add that I have tried red dot finders in the past and for me the tinted glass made it too hard to see things and the red dot obliterated the target. Thus I chose a Rigel with its reticle pattern. A Telerad would have been even better but I got two Rigels for simplicity - one of which was for my little 4.5" f8 reflector. On that too I have a RACI finder (an Orion 6x30). I seem to do much better with a Rigel and RACI finderscope than I ever did with only a red dot or just the RACI (which certainly saves my neck!)

regards

Suzy
11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Order placed! :thumbsup: :D

I looked into everything everyone suggested and it ended up being a toss up between the GSO & the Bintel one.
Andrews didn't have the Telrad Dew Shield Plus to complete my order so I then went with Bintel but after my order was completed and paid for, I got a call back saying that the finderscope isn't in stock and will take about a month. :mad2: My credit card didn't end up getting charged for the finder and he said if I still want it when it comes into stock I won't have to pay $15 shipping again. He echoed what many have said in the past, that once I have the Telrad, I wouldn't use the finderscope much :shrug:. Which is the very reason I decided not to go for an expensive finderscope. At least I have a straight thru finder anyway working with the soon to have Telrad for the time being. If I can't wait that long and still have issues I guess I can still go ahead and order the one from GSO and pay the extra $15.

Stu, every word of yours echoed what hubby told me yesterday :rolleyes: :lol: and each time I re-looked at the Stellarview, I had both your voices ganging up on me and I would stop each time and go, okay okay, I know you're right. :lol: Hubby also said when I have the expensive equipment to put it on then I could justify it. :ashamed:

Paddy, as a fellow visual observer & obs forum buddy, I was eager to hear your thoughts because you do amazing things star hopping.

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help me out, I really am very grateful. :)

Paddy
11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks Suzy. I have to say that my finderscope always gets a workout even when I had it coupled with a telrad (I use a red dot finder and finderscope now as the telrad doesn't fit well on the tri-dob and the Rigel Quickfind mount gave up the ghost). The magnified FOV is perfect for finding all those little patterns of stars that point to your target.

Visionoz
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Aaah! Suzy, now's your chance to tell hubby that indeed he's right and that you need that 18" SDM which you'd been drooling over!!:P

Anyway like everyone who has a TelRad has said; it's a pretty good piece of kit!

Cheers
Bill

pgc hunter
11-07-2011, 09:32 PM
I agree with Paddy, I have an 8x50 GSO and it is more than adequate for the job. RACI finders are far easier to use with a red dot or telrad, as you can get into the ballpark with your red dot and home in on your target with the finder. The two complement each other very nicely, especially as RACI finders can be a bit awkward to sight along.

I also have a Stellarvue 60mm finder and it does go a bit deeper than the 8x50, many globulars, nebula and galaxies can be seen so often you wont even have to starhop through the main scope. You can chuck in shorter FL eyepieces to get higher mags which will further improve the visibility of your DSO target. It also has interchangable eyepieces and you can rotate the diagonal to a comfortable viewing position. But the damage is far greater ;)

Waxing_Gibbous
11-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I really like my Intes finderscope.
Its black crinkle finish is sort of 'military' looking and the EP has by far the best reticle of any finderscope I've used.
Dreadful field curvature at short range tho'

g__day
12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I have both the GSO 8 * 50 and a Vixen one - same specs. The GSO was around $95 from Andrews - the Vixen one over $250 plus a lot for the brackets holding it - all up - around $400. The GSO is much sharper - IMHO.

Suzy
21-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Stellarview 9x50 FINALLY ordered! :thumbsup: Woohooo!! :D:D:D

It's my Xmas pressie & I'm excited! :D
I'm justifying this purchase because I want to double it up as a grab'n'go because I've wanted one of those for so long as well. And I really like the fact that I can change the viewing angle easily and put higher mag ep's on it at the finder when I'm having trouble finding something. Doesn't matter if there's no cross hair in that ep as I mainly use my RDF to target things.

I've also ordered the crosshair illuminator and a camera tripod adaptor (for grab'n'go).

Bintel not having any finderscopes in stock when I wanted to buy one 6mths ago for my birthday has paid off me, but I've had to wait all this time :rolleyes:, but I'm sure the wait will be worth it. Aren't I lucky having a birthday in July and then Xmas in December- it's 6 mths evenly spaced out! :P :lol:

Thank you so much to everyone that has helped me.

Sab- a huge thank you to you because it was your post that finally swung me over into going for it. Each time I'd changed my mind because of lack of patience and nearly buy the Bintel one, I'd read your post and that would make me wait. It's so hard seeing anything out of my current finder - esp harder as I've got the RDF jammed next to it. I think i'll be re-drilling new holes once the SV comes along to accomodate everything a bit better. At the moment I have the Telrad, RDF and finder all on my dob :eyepop: - I'll take all the help I can get you know.. :rolleyes:

Peter at SDM (who I ordered it from) suggested that I put the SV on the left hand side of the focusser. :shrug: Makes sense :question:

I've just learned (after I ordered it) that it weighs a little more than a KG! :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop: I can only imagine what fun that's going to be once I put an XW on my 2 inch barlow (just those 2 alone comes to 1kg).
I hear a song in my head and it goes like this...
see saw majorie daw lalala lalalala :doh: