PDA

View Full Version here: : Stellarvue Finder Scopes- Help Needed Please.

Suzy
07-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone :hi:

I want to replace my finderscope as my current one is just too hard to look through. It's like looking through a keyhole. :rolleyes: All that stretching hurts after a while (esp. at Zenith). :mad2: I've even had holes drilled that brings it in a bit closer (red dot finder now in the middle of the tube), finder to the left of it, but that doesn't seem to help much either.

I'm after a right angled, correct image finder.
I've been reading some interesting threads on here regarding finderscopes and it seems the Stellarview range is very popular.

I was originally going to buy a small 4 inch tabletop reflector for a quick grab'n'go but now I need a finder so I have put that idea to rest - but it seems these Stellarview finders double up as a nice grab'n' go scope (?), so I'm trying to incorporate both jobs here.

Currently, I have a 10" dob with 9x50 finder.

Okay so here are the questions....

1) I don't know whether to go for the 9x50 or the 10x60. I understand that the 10x60 will give me a slightly narrower view and weight is a tiny bit more but not by much.
Primarily though, it needs to function as a good finder, with the grab'n'go being a lesser priority.

2) If I get the 9x50, will it fit into the existing dovetail bracket and holder that my current one is in? I see Stellarview ones use special rings .:question:

3) I would like the finder to attach to my tripod- from what I understand it should do it with both the 9 & 10?

4) Aside from the parts for my scope, I guess I have to pay the $49 extra and get the travel kit to have it working on my tripod? The kit is listed on the link given below.

5) The parts for it are confusing me senseless, I don't know what to order to go with the focusser and furthermore which focusser to get. :help:

The link (9x50) here (http://www.stellarvue.com/f50.html) and (10x60) here (http://www.stellarvue.com/f50.html) is to the Stellarview site, but I will be ordering through OPT in the States I think. I can't seem to find any local sellers to get a knowledge on local price. :shrug:

I have a birthday coming up around the corner so this will be a good birthday pressie! :D:D
Thank you for taking the time to help me. :thanks:

renormalised
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Ok, this is what I would buy....

the F50W2, the #EI2, the R50A and the FET so you can use a camera tripod as well.

Waxing_Gibbous
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Suze,
SV finderscopes and me go waay back. :D
-Get the 9x50.
It has a much flatter field of view that the 10x60.
Also, as the advertising intimates, it does indeed work very well as a small spotter, esp. if you attach a small zoom EP like a Vixen 7-21.
Also the 10x60 is back-ordered (I tried to get one three weeks back).
The little fixing to attach it to a tripod IS worth getting (the $19 jobbie).
The "travelscope" kit might be worth it if you plan on, well, doing a lot of traveling.

I believe the 'extras' you need are:
#R50A - Standard rings and base
&
#FDE (Base)
&
#FET (Tripod)
If you run into trouble - see my sig. I'm sure I can sort it out!

I'd order it from OPT if I were you. As you can see SV is remakably unhelpful in their descriptions

You'd think something like: "This thingy will allow you to attach your finder directly to the most popular brand of Newtonian reflector in the world", would be simple enough.
You can ask the OPT people what goes best with what.
They're very helpful.

The last time I tried to order direct from SV, the woman on the other end would not let me use my Credit Card as : "We don't accept cards from Africa" :rolleyes:

Peter

qld
07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
the 80 mm is the way to go with their 28mm illuminated eyepiece rings and mount its light and just fanrastic i have two and their better than the 80mm Antares i had on my 25 in obsession.

Waxing_Gibbous
07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I suppose it depends on the size of the scope, but isn't the 80 a little big for a 10" Dob?
I fore-see the secondary cage bouncing up and down off the ground. :eek:
Ugly!

xstream
07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Suzy, give Peter Read at SDM a ring he may still have some in stock.

qld
07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
:thumbsup: NO I USE ONE ON MY IO IN DOB AND A C8 THEY ARE VERY LIGHT AND AT A DARK SITE YOU CAN SEE VERY FAINT OBJECTS THAT YOU WOULD MISS OTHERWISE

The Mekon
07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I sent an email to Stellarvue three days ago regarding ordering and payment for a 9x50 finder + rings and the travel kit.

No reply as yet. I note that OPT have them as back ordered.

Should I wait on Stellarvue or go to OPT??

- And I agree that a correct image finder is essential - I use a 15x60 on my AP 130 (3.2 degree field), and can find things much better than with a red dot finder on my new AT106 (thanks again Peter - I love this scope)

rider
08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Suzy,

We have the Stellarvue 60 and the 80, I would suggest that the 80 might have enough weight to unbalance a 10 inch dob, so you would have to add weights

They are both great finders, and if you want more field, you can get the optional 70degree EP, but I doubt you'd need it.

BTW, we are in Bris-vegus too (Thornlands), - send a PM if you want to have a look at them.

Rider

The Mekon
09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Just ordered a 9x50 from OPT -

Complete order, including rings, dovetail base and the travelscope kit + shipping came to $287 AUD. Paid by PayPal

No longer marked as backordered on thew OPT website.

I hope to have it in 7-10 days

Waxing_Gibbous
09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Cool. I might try one on my Mak.

BTW: Optics Planet also sell SV gear. They seem to have more stuff actually in stock.
Tho' I've never dealt with them, other's who have claim excellent service and no grief ordering from abroad (unlike Anacortes).

that_guy
09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Ditch the finder, get a telrad :D

Suzy
09-07-2011, 11:52 PM
It's 1kg 100g. *cough* *cough* Add to that my eyepieces which weigh in around just 400g, and wow, that's 1,500g :eyepop:
I would have thought that was a lot of weight for a 10" dob. :shrug: And that's not even with a barlow which will take it to 1,800g.
Unfortunately they're $249, after shipping that's going to bring it to about the $300 mark. Bit more than I wanted to spend unfortunately. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it. :)

Peter, I see what you mean by your signature. :lol:

John B, yes I was going to suggest to go with OPT. I have dealt with them before and there service is excellent. I had an XW ordered and delivered inside 7 days and incredibly well packaged. They are also good with answering emails promptly. Congratulations on the finder purchase.

Rider, thanks very much for the kind offer. I'm more looking at the 9x50 though. Wow you don't live far from me at all. ;)

John, I will be sure to contact Peter at SDM If I still decide to go for the Stellarview, before contacting OPT. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tony, I've been thinking about getting a Telrad as well. :thumbsup: :D

...which brings me to another question.

The Stellarview finder along with the rings and things comes to $200, the Telrad on top of that will bring it to $300. My birthday budget is $200. :sadeyes:

I understand that Stellarview are probably the bees knees from what you'll say about them, but it doesn't look like I'm able to get both.

I'm re looking at the 8x50 R/A correct image finder at Bintel for $89 here (http://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm) and the Telrad here (http://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm) for $79. Hmmm just checked those links and they are not taking me to the product, but instead to the homepage.
I haven't disregarded the Stellarviews totally though at this stage.

My current finder is 9x50, I wonder what the difference in magnification will be compared to the 8x50.

Does anyone have any experiences with the Bintel one - are they any good?

Thanks everyone for your help so far, I really appreciate it. :)