PDA

View Full Version here: : How much Vibration can an iPad(1or2) stand

bartman
03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
My sister recently bought her husband an iPad2 for his long trips on the road in a truck ( Kenworth prime mover with usually doubles if not triples).
Mainly for videos, Skype, music, games etc etc etc.
He thought it was great until he realised that the vibration in the truck could cause it damage. The truck is not like a car with cushy suspension and has quite a lot of vibration going through the cabin.The drivers seat has all the dampening effects to stop his eyeballs from popping out of their sockets!

So now he doesn't want to take it on the road.:(

My question is : How much can the iPad stand in regards to vibrations of that scale? Has anybody had similar experience?

Google comes up with " will the new iPad come with vibration blah blah" or stupid destructive testing such as washing it under a tap and dropping it on concrete.
Will a cradle attached to the dash or windscreen be sufficient?

Any thoughts on how to allay my brother in-laws fear of breaking the expensive new toy?

Personally I think it will be fine......

Bartman

supernova1965
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Not owning one I can't speak from experience but I would have to agree as long as it wasn't bouncing around on a hard surface I wouldn't worry and it would probably handle that as well.

I could be wrong but my gut feeling is it will be fine

Omaroo
03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
We have members in our 4WD club (including myself) who use the VMS topographic map app on their iPads which are hard-mounted to the dash of their Landrovers. Given that the typical trip we do is on very rough roads including hundreds of kilometers of corrugations, no iPad has yet failed. They're solid state - perfect for the job.

asimov
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
We have an ipad here, but I can't attest to it's abitlity of withstanding vibes. If it were me, I'd risk it...You could always line this proposed dash cradle with something nice & soft; a gel pack springs to mind here.

bartman
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, thanks Chris, Solid state does make the difference........
However I have dropped my iPhone a few times and my compass seems to have stuffed up. Does not work no matter how many times I have done the infinity sign.
I guess a drop is different to vibrations.....
Your statement however makes me think I will contact one of his friends who is into 4WD and a bit of a techno dude..So i'm sure he has one of them mounted on his dash!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder hehehhehehe:thumbsup:

Any other comments would be great ! The more the better to convince him its OK....
Cheers
Bartman
P.s. thanks Warren...I dont own one either but yeah it makes sense, sat in a cradle it would be fine!
PPS. Thank you John, I was thinking on similar lines aswell!