PDA

View Full Version here: : Equipment Suppliers in Sydney

Fred Blogg
17-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Folks

I live in New Zealand where Astronomical equipment supplies are limited.

I am looking for recommended suppliers of primary and secondary mirrors in Australia, probably in Sydney who will send to New Zealand. I am more specifically looking at a 10" f5 and 50mm 2ndry.

A lister in one of the forums on this site recommended the company: Andrews Communications Systems for DOBs. Has anyone else experience with this company? I had a look at their website but can't find an email contact for them.

Fred B.

barees63
17-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Might be a silly question but have you seen: http://www.astronomy.co.nz/pub/Accessories.asp

They have a 10" F5 primary for NZD$619 and 50mm Secondary for NZD$27.90 (both GSO).

ving
17-02-2006, 12:43 PM
andrews are a good shop, prices are very competitive and service good. try bintel too, they always get a good wrap round 'ere :)

or as bruce said, you could go local ;)

g__day
18-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I like Andrews, prices are very cheap, gear is very good- absolutely to spec. but only the owner knows stuff - the serving staff are polite and attentive, but don't know much beyond what's the front and what's the back of a telescope!

BinTel is okay, staff are helpful sometimes, but not as much as folk seem to suggest there are - or maybe I am just expecting more. I keep having to say speak English not jargon and answer my question without saying maybe or that's not what you wanted to ask, or it depends what you want... No my questions usually aren't subjective and I don't want to know how it all works - just the final outcome. So once after a 7 minute convulted response to a simple question, I summed it up by saying "So that a yes then?" - sigh... their gear is good and prices fair, but they must have steep rents which they don't fully pass on in their prices.

I like Astro Optical Supplies too - top notch gear and great attitude - just wish they put their prices (which rarely vary) online rather than say over $3,000 (yeah but how much over $3,000), when queried they say oh we buy from the USA and prices vary 5% - 10% ... prices haven't varied that much in 7 years I've been going there, so say $1,499 +/- typically a 4% currency fluctation with a 6 week wait time and I'd be happy!