PDA

View Full Version here: : Solarscope Advice

Waxing_Gibbous
03-07-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm not really in the position to fork out 2K+ on a posh 60mm+ but I'd like to get a scope that I can hook up to an as yet to be determined video-cam to broadcast to my telly or computer.
Would a Coronado PST be suitable (there's one on a-mart at a decent price) or should I save for double stacked affair like a Lunt or Coronado Solarmax or Daystar 40?
Would there be a great deal of difference (video-ly) between a 40 & a 60mm?
Many thanks for any hints and tips.
Peter

mswhin63
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I am also in the same situation, so i am looking at these system http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/halpha.html for my 80mm and a Barlow.

I am not sure of their performance on imaging though.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Malcom. That's an interesting looking set-up. I'll do some more research.
BTW: How do you like your TS80?

mswhin63
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
So far very happy doing some wide-field shots. Hate the cables but just completed a Bluetooth mount control so that is one less cable. Quality is good.
The 80mm scope on its own is not suitable for ERF and filter but hopefully with a barlow I may get some use out of it. When i am ready (i.e. money) I will contact them to ask a few questions.

Merlin66
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
The Daystar option requires a very large focal ratio, but they do perform well.
The smaller Lunt and Cornonado again are very good, for their size, but a 60mm will always out perform a 40mm.
Another option is to mod a PST to an 80mm aperture. I have a detailed write-up available on request. drop me a PM with your email address for a copy.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
What ARE you doing in Belgium anyway?
It used to be a 'punishment post' when I worked in London.
Screw-up and get sent to Brussels for six months.
That or Rotterdamn for a week. :O

The Thousandoaks option intrigued me as I have an f15 Russian Mak, and they offer off-axis filters without recourse to a number of fiddly adapters.
I can't be trusted to do anything more complicated than collimating a telescope, M66, so I'll have to fore-go your kind offer!

Merlin66
03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Just here while my wife works in Mechelen.
Hopefully we get out on a good behaviour bond to visit the Kids in Aug.