PDA

View Full Version here: : 350d power supply

rogerg
16-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Planning ahead here:

In March I will finally get a 350D. I'm wondering what people do regarding power supply for the camera:

- Can it run from a 12v sealed lead acid somehow?
- How long would it last on it's internal batteries? (I'll be getting the verticle grip/battery extra - assuming it works like the 300 (non-digital) in that it contains extra batteries).
- Any tips regarding power usage/supply?

I'm looking to buy extras now such that when March arrives and I purchase the camera, I'm all ready to go for astro photography.

Thanks,
Roger.

h0ughy
16-02-2006, 12:30 PM
I have bought the 300d ac power supply to get the adapter for the battery compartment. I plan to cut the cable and make up a plug set so that i can use a 12V poswer supply switched down to the 7.8volts required for the camera and run that from a 17AH jump start battery pack - run all night without having to recharge or swap batteries. thats the plan! also allows for AC use

JohnG
16-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I just carry a second battery, also I take the charger out to the Observatory, I have 240 power there so a recharge is not a problem, come to think of it, I have never had to change the battery anyway. I have always made sure the battery was fully charged prior to using it anyway.

JohnG

rogerg
16-02-2006, 01:42 PM
OK, so if I understand right: Seems the canon battery is quite good and will probably get me through a night of 6 hours of photography.

For in the observatory I'd want the AC unit, which I'd expected.

I often want complete battery power for 2 days straight. I'm understanding that the simplest option is I have say 3 of the canon batteries. I see generic brand ones are AU$40 on the web, that's not excessively expensive.

h0ughy - 7.8v is a bit anoying isn't it. It would be nice to run it from my 12v battery in the long term, but I wonder if I will ever bother, if 3 batteries will do me.

Hmm.

Thanks guys, any more input welcome.

Roger.

Octane
16-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Roger,

When I had an EOS-300D, I bought the battery grip for it. When taking normal daylight photographs, you can get about 400 exposures out of a single battery. Using the grip with two batteries, you can get around 1000 exposures depending on temperature, humidity, as well as how much you use the flash.

I have an EOS-350D now (no battery grip yet). I used it at Lostock. It was very cold in the night time and I ran out of battery power after about one to one and-a-half hours of exposures. I had my charger with me so just recharged it and away I went again.

Regards,
H

JohnG
16-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I believe that you get about 6 hours out of a charge although that of course would be temp dependant. Please correct me if I am wrong but dosn't the handgrip also come with a second battery holder for 6 AA batteries, I would just carry a packet of them with me should I be away from 240, I wouldn't make things too complicated.

JohnG

westsky
16-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi Roger
I get around 1.5 to 2 hrs on a cold night and up to 3 hrs on a warmer night with the 350D
You can pick up 1200mah batterys on ebay for around $13.00 plus shipping
I bought 5 and this sees me through one night,I then use a 12v charger to recharge them.
cheers
david.

rogerg
16-02-2006, 11:34 PM
David,

Thanks for that - you have saved me a lot of money, I thought $40 was good, $13 and double the power is great, they are a good find.

:)
Roger.