PDA

View Full Version here: : Howie Glatter Collimator - Question?

Sarge
26-06-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a 12" SW Collapsible (visual observing only) and currently use a laser collimator - Orion LaserMate Delux. The results are pretty good, but I'm not sure I am really getting the best from my scope. :shrug:
I am seriously considering purchasing a Howie Glatter 2" Barlowed Collimator, but am baulking a little at the price. Being an open truss scope I can get away without purchasing a TuBlug to go with it, but it is still rather expensive. :confused2:
My question really is - Is it worth it, will I really notice any difference?

Rod
:D:D

wavelandscott
27-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Tough to answer your question because I don't know how particular you are... Is close enough good good enough or do you need to know confidently that things are spot on. The Glatter and Cats Eye, to name two, gear work period. If those tools say you are collimated then you can know that things are right.

I don't know what that is worth to you. To me having the right tools to ensure the best view I can get is worth it.

I have both the Glatter tu-blug and laser and a set of the Cats Eye gear. Both are superb and I highly recommend them.

gb_astro
27-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Rod are you using a X2 barlow with the Orion LaserMate Delux when you are doing the primary?
At f5 you should get better results using one.

gb.

Kevnool
27-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Of course it is good and worth every penny.
Its built to perform and you pay for quality.

If it don't fit into budget there is always the cheap gear for sale.
Find some reviews and read and compare.

You wont be disappointed.

Cheers Kev

jakob
27-06-2011, 06:02 PM
The problem I found with other laser collimators that they did not sit in the 2" focusser accurateley. The Glatter 2" version has a much tighter fit and gives a consistent result.

Sarge
28-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys. Have placed an order with BinTel. :2thumbs:
:thanx:
gb, I tried a 2x barlow with the Orion Laser, but all it did was widen the beam and made collimating impossible. :confused:

Rod

Kevnool
28-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Good onya Rod you have made a great decision and you wont be dissapointed.

You will be amazed at the size and quality of this colimator.

Wouldnt be without it.

5000 dollars worth of scopes need the best collimation around.

Cheers Kev.

Jason D
30-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Here is my review and analysis of my HG laser plus attachments

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4494930/page/3/view/collapsed/sb/7/o/all/fpart/1

Jason

Darth Wader
30-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi Rod,

I have the same scope as you and I bought a 1.25" collimator and TuBlug direct from Howie last year (saving quite a bit of coin in the process). It is without a doubt an invaluable piece of kit, especially in fast scopes like ours. You will not be disappointed!

Cheers
Wade

Sarge
30-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks Wade. :2thumbs:
Thanks Jason - that is a very comprehensive report. I've read it once but will go over it several more times as there is so much information to digest. :2thumbs:

Rod