PDA

View Full Version here: : VNC to Maxim

Tandum
26-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a recurring problem when using VNC to talk to maxim out in the shed. If I click on the guiding graph, it comes up and I can use it as per normal but if I kill the graph, maxim stops responding and I have to reboot the PC to clear out ascom. If I'm in front of the PC in the shed it works just fine.

I use VNC cos remote desktop needs a password set for the user on the remote PC and I don't want that and teamviewer needs an Internet connection and I don't want that either.

That PC is due to be replaced with one that has real serial ports etc so I'm sure that will fix it but was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem.

leinad
27-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Bit of Maxim Voodoo. :thumbsup:
Ive had repeatable problems with the guider graph and guidestar image freezing up, in turn Ascom decides to keep bumping the last 'x move' and doesnt stop unless I close and restart Maxim.

Ive since reinstalled W7 and software, plus have 4GB mem now, so Im keen to see if it reappears again.

I know doesnt help with your situation but it reminded me of my recent issues.

Teamviewer works via LAN. I had my iPad teamviewed to the laptop via wireless adhoc connection out in the field.
From memory enable accept LAN connections and some other options needed to be setup, then connect via local ip addresses.

higginsdj
28-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I use TightVNC and not encountered any issues with the Guiding graph (not that I actually use it very much). Running XP Pro, Win 7 64bit, latest versions of ASCOM, ACP and MaxIm.

Cheers

RobF
28-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I use UltraVNC from time to time to talk to the laptop (XP 32bit) from my upstairs desktop (XP 32bit) Robin. I often see a little bit of graphic disruption with the graph (the line draws ok but the background can get mixed up until I move a window to refresh it). MIght be a weakness in the graphics library/calls that are used. Is there any sort of screen acceleration mode you could turn on or off perhaps?

Sounds like a PITA

Tandum
29-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks Guys, I'm pretty confident now that it's that PC.
Lately it's also been hanging on boot if the USB hub is plugged in.
I'll start collecting bits to replace it.