PDA

View Full Version here: : Review of FLI Proline 16803 and FLI Microline 8300

gregbradley
26-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I have used both of these cameras for a couple of years now.
I had an Apogee U16M for about a year and traded it for the Proline _ cash.

The Proline is a wonderful camera. I really have nothing I can pick fault with except it is quite heavy. There is a Microline 16803 if weight is an issue for your focuser though. It does mean if you are going to use a Proline and filterwheel and OAG then you need one of those few high end scopes that have the super heavy duty focusers like Feathertouch or AP or some Taks (not all although Tak has upgraded its focusers now to be more beefy, too bad if you got an early model eh?)

A few features though that make it a dream to use.

Firstly the chamber is hermetically sealed and has inert gas (I think its Xenon gas or perhaps Argon).

It never frosts at any temperature and it can get cold. I use -35C and get that almost all year round. I think in the hottest nights I had to settle for -30C with the Proline 16803. The Microline 8300 does -35C all year round with cooling to spare (its a much smaller chip to cool).

It downloads a full 32.4mb image in 1 second! Bang - there it is.

It is quiet. The fans are smooth and refined.
The shutter is fairly quiet as well and very refined.

Software Bisque have kind of ignored FLI as they are more affiliated with SBIG so CCDsoft requires the $99 camera plug in to work and it does not access all the features of the camera. Maxim DL does. I do not use Maxim though as I have always used CCDsoft and am very familiar with it.

The Proline and Microline both have RBI control and FLI was the first to offer this feature. What RBI means is residual bulk image and it means a ghost image. Say you take a flat at dusk and then take a dark straight after, KAF chips will tend to retain a ghost image of the brighter image. This effect various from model chip to the next but apparently it is there in all of them.

I have never used this feature but if you wanted to make sure you were not getting any hidden ghosting in your images you can use this feature if you have Maxim.

The Proline has a built is USB hub (2 extra outlets) and 2 power outlets. This is good for the guide camera and the filter wheel and reduces the number of USB 2 cables hanging off your scope. The Microline does not.

Both my FLI cameras have chips with no cover slips. This reduces some small amount of haloing on brighter stars. FLI cameras also have a range of CCD chamber window material and the Microline comes standard now with a more expensive material and antireflection coating on the windows.

The electronics give the lowest read noise of any of the amateur cameras. They also have the best cooling except for the Apogee with the DO9 high cooling body. The Apogee though has a very annoying very slow cooling procedure that takes at least 30 minutes to get to -25C. Too slow, especially if your take dusk flats and forget to start it up early or if power is interrupted at 3am and it takes twice as long to regain cooling (it warms up slowly then cools down slowly).

Curiously, the reason given for this is not wanting thermal shock to the sensors yet the camera has no provision for a slow warmup at the end of an imaging run. Otherwise the Apogee U16m is a great camera (16 second download time for a full frame image though, but that's getting fussy).

My Proline also has a dew strip heater for the CCD window but I can't access it again and also it has never dewed up. That's more for people in Florida.

Darks show the camera to be very very clean and you can almost imaging without darks but there still is a bit present.

My only wishlist for the FLI is it would be good if it had an integrated OAG like the QSI or one as an option and also it would be good if FLI had an AO unit which they don't. So if you want that sort of a setup you'd be better of going the STX route once they bring out their AO unit.

Also my Proline whilst I can achieve -35C on the large 16803 chip does not do the advertised 55C below ambient but more like 48C. Perhaps mine needs a service on this point. My Microline slams the 8300 chip down to -35 all year round and -40C just about all year round and -45C in winter. At these extreme low temps the chips are almost completely clean. The 8300 chip is a very defect free chip more so than any other chip.

My Microline is an awesome camera and clearly the class leader as-is the Proline. Again an integrated or OAG FLI product would be nice and an AO unit would be good.

The 16803 is the perfect imaging chip. High QE at 60%+ in the Proline,
deep wells at 105,000 electrons, high dynamic range, largish pixels at 9 microns and like the 11002 before it it now seems to set the standard for imaging chips for now.

The 8300 chip is also good. High QE at around 61% or so, low noise but small wells at 25,500 electrons. What that means is a 10 minute exposure will blow out bright stars and they will bloat badly. The 16803 does not do this. So it means you need to use shorter exposure times with the 8300 chip.

The 8300 chip still seems to be one of the better chips in that mp range but it is not the ideal imaging chip as a result. It suits faster scopes with its small pixels 5.4 microns and does not suit long focal length scopes unless you have excellent seeing.

Both cameras guarantee the squareness of the chip and that is important with the larger chips as even a small amount of tilt will show up in the images.

FLI have a clever V groove connector system where a very thin screw adapter can fit in and you can lock it down easily, quickly and securely. Very tricky people.

The thread depth to screw things into the filter wheel though is very shallow and I have to grind down several adapters I have had made as they can easily go in too deep and hit the screws that hold the filters in and lock the filter wheel. Its a matter of specifying that the filter wheel threaded side be the correct depth which is only about 3mm.

I also see a small amount of flex with my Proline 16803 and filter wheel when horizontal - I can push it slightly and see it flex perhaps 1-2mm.
I am not 100% sure where that is coming from but I think it may be the filter wheel which has a fairly thing metal wall so perhaps that metal is flexing slightly. The metal wall thickness of the filter wheel could possibly be thicker like the Apogees FW50 which has a beautifully machined routed out back with little stiffening ridges and is a work of art and strength (although they made a mistake leaving V openings between filters which means dust can enter and move around inside the wheel, land on the filters and can mean you flats will not be accurate if your filter wheel is not totally clean) as the dust has shifted from the time you took your flats to the time you took your lights). Mind you I used an FW50 filter wheel for some time and I simpy kept in clean and I did not really see that as an issue for me. If you were imaging in a windy and dusty area though it may become quite a problem. The FW50 as fast and beautifully made, strong and also accepted different thickness filters.

Service-wise I have found FLI to be extremely helpful and rapid with communications and great to deal with - a 10/10 there.

Overall my experience with FLI cameras and filter wheels and the PDF focuser is I feel I am using the absolute best gear available on the market at this time but I see FLI like SBIG by necessity are pushing into the other imaging areas of their business so I kind of doubt that astronomy is their key market more like Xray imaging or machine imaging.

QSI also seem to be making inroads into making a product that comes closer to matching them. In particular the series 600 with the better cooling. Their builit in OAG is a stroke of genius and will win them many sales. It would be nice to see FLI respond to this innovation to retain its undisputed champion of the world status.

FLI would be my first choice for another camera at this time. Its one of those pieces of equipment where you can just rely on it being the best of its kind and it works everytime flawlessly. It seems rugged, reliable and well made. It performs the best in its class.

Greg.

CDKPhil
26-06-2011, 06:50 PM
A very informative review Greg.
What are the overall dimensions of the two Chips?
And have you compared the image quality / resolution of the two different cameras on the same object?

I have been looking at the different cameras that are available and the FLI's caught my attention. I have some time to think about it as my MX is quite a long way off. September, October or maybe November, December. :lol:

Cheers
Phil

Paul Haese
26-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Good reviews Greg.

I don't agree about the KAF8300 exposure duration. With both the TSA and RC I have been doin 20 minute subs on lum and blue for some time now. In particular the TSA never seems to bloat stars with this sensor. The RC does on brighter ones but some min filtering gets rid of most of the issue. My recent Corona Australis shot is done with same exposure lengths and I did not do any star size reduction. So it might pay to revisit this with your camera.

frolinmod
27-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Good review. Please keep writing them. :thumbsup:

gregbradley
27-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Weren't you imaging at F8 or longer with small aperture though?
At longer f ratios and smaller apertures yes you won't have a problem. Its a question of how much signal builds up in the chip's wells. At 25,500 that isn't a lot for all scopes. So for example I would expect with Mikes F3.6 12 inch scope you would see bloated bright stars pretty quickly QSI, Apogee, FLi, SBIG the lot as its the chips specification here not the camera maker. It can only hold so much. The 11002 chip holds 60,000. the 16803 about 105,000 most of the commonly used chips have decent well depths. That just one of the compromises so as you point out it may not be a problem with a smaller scope of longer f ratio. It depends on the object with my scopes. I have quite a few like you mention yours worked out. But then I also have done quite a few where a few bright stars

Also the 8300 is a better match for your TSA due to its shorter focal length than the RC where it will be oversampling and losing sensitivity as a result ( it will perform noticeably better in good seeing compared than say an 11002 camera on the same night). At least that is the theory.

Its something to consider when buying a particular chipped camera independent of brand. Another brand can't make the wells deeper and it will vary depending on the object and scope. Larger aperture or faster F ratio with an object with lots of bright stars may do better with 5 or 7 minute subs instead of 10. At least that the theory and something I intend to do with mine next time I use it to see if it works. I see lots of images with 8300 cameras and all the stars are perfect but usually I also see they used 5 minute subs. Wolfgang Promper for example.

The QSI is a good camera and the combined OAG and filter wheel is a winner and something FLI has to match as that approach made the STL11 the camera of choice for several years - so convenient having it all together.

You're welcome.

g__day
27-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Very interesting review! Might I request - start by posting a picture of the two cameras side by side, then post there relative specifications (cost, size, weight, power consumption, pixel size, Q/E, well depth etc) before you launch into how well each performs!

Fascinating read!

Paul Haese
27-06-2011, 10:41 AM
You know it is funny because recently I have been imaging with the TSA at f5.8 and I have not noticed any bloat at all. I had been using just the flattener but I bought a reducer and now that gives me a faster f ratio, but have not noticed anything going on. Granted, with the RC I get bloated stars simply from the oversample, but not so from the TSA now.:shrug:

Yes Promper does do 5 minutes subs and some of the other notable imagers. How that means going really deep is not really an option. Sort of weighing up the pros and cons I suppose. Mind you Promper does have a very large scope, so 5 minutes is probably equivilant much longer subs. I generally aim to get my background on subs over 1000 ADU.

Despite all this though you wrote a great review of both cameras. Sorry to have hi jacked your thread.

gregbradley
27-06-2011, 02:22 PM
You're not hijacking the thread at all -its all good discussion and you bring up an interesting point.

Just on that point about going deep - this is where the low noise of the camera becomes really important. If the read noise and shot noise is low enough then stacking 5 minute subs is possible. I forget which but one of the noises is cummulative - I think its the read noise (the noise generated by reading the image). So if that read noise is low then lots of shorter exposures still works as an option.

I used to do 15 minute subs as my standard. I reduced that to 10 minutes mainly from tracking/flexure issues.

As I recall SBIG has a calculator on their site to work out the optimum exposure length for their various cameras at different F ratios and focal lengths. I suppose that would be a good tool for this sort of thing.

In your case with dark skies longer exposures would be the go. Its hard to invest in 20 minute subs though if you have the odd cloud that comes over. But for narrowband it is definitely the way to go. If you have great tracking 15 minutes is good for LRGB. For the 8300 on my scopes though, 10 minutes does see the brighter stars overflow there wells and look a bit messy at times (you can't really process it out either).
The 8300 on an FSQ106ED does not bloat easily but I have the 16803 for wide field. It is reluctant to bloat under any conditions and thats where the deep well depth, the high QE, the low noise, the larger pixels, the huge FOV plus its antiblooming makes that chip the cream of the crop at this point. It really has it all. But you lose that zoomed in look unless you have quite long focal length so not good for close ups.

Greg.

CDKPhil
27-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I was just doing some calculations on the 16803 sensor, it would be about 62mm on the diagonal. Do you get any off axis coma or field curvature in the corners of your images? The CDK has a flat field of 52mm. I would have thought with this size sensor that you might see some distortion.

Thanks

Phil

gregbradley
27-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Oops I looked it up.KAF16803 is 36.8mm x 36.8mm with a 52.1mm diagonal. No I don't get coma in the corners with my scopes as they all have flatteners or have a design that flattens the image. But any scope is going to need a flattener of some type in the imaging train with a diagonal that large.

KAF8300 chip is 17.96 x 13.52mm for a 22.5mm diagonal. Many scopes do not need a flattener below 20mm diagonal. So its on the edge of needing one but you may not with your particular scope.

Greg.

Bassnut
27-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Why did you ditch the Apogee U16M?.

gregbradley
27-06-2011, 07:02 PM
It was a good camera but the FLI has far better cooling and the slow cooldown was a slight annoyance but not that big of a deal once you got used to it. Downloads were slower, cooling was less but it was a bit smaller and lighter. A good camera. The FLI is just that bit better in most departments.

Greg.

CDKPhil
27-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks Greg.
The 16803 is using the full potential of the imaging area with the CDK. You would be correct in saying that I would not need any flattener with the CDK12.5 this also has a 52mm flat field.

Cheers
Phil

gregbradley
01-07-2011, 04:56 PM
That's right. The CDK 12 is slightly different in that it is F8 as I recall.
That is handy as it gives it that bit extra focal length which you want for that size of scope to capture galaxies etc.

CDK12.5 seems to be a very good perfomer.

Greg.