PDA

View Full Version here: : Experiences bringing Obsession Dob into Aus?

fracs
25-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi.
I am thinking about purchasing an Obsession Dobsonian, including shipping to Sydney Australia.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and would be willing to share any advice?

In particular, what about Aus Customs, Insurance, and Shipping?

Sincerely,
Mike

gbeal
26-06-2011, 09:30 AM
None at all, don't even live in your country, sorry. Why not buy one from the locals though, Peter at SDM if I am not wrong. http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/
You also have a top notch mirror maker on the forum as well. Not sure if he has a web presence, but he is well known and respected here.
If the costs are against buying local then yes, but something the size and value of an Obsession makes me think that the SDM will be well worth looking at?
Gary

xstream
26-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Mike,

As Gary has suggested try SDM, you maybe very surprised with your "bang for buck". Give Peter a call he won't bite. Of course I'm not biased either! ;)

jjjnettie
26-06-2011, 04:33 PM
SDM is the go.

alocky
27-06-2011, 11:38 PM
I bought a 25" direct from Obsession, after a friend over here did the same with an 18". Very positive experience and all the customs and import duty were handled via the US end. The telescope was shipped air-freight (that bit cost a bomb) and arrived in perfect condition, less than two months after I ordered it. Cost was comparable to SDM, but I might have ended up a couple of % worse off after shipping.
PM me if you want details.

floyd_2
28-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Just out of interest Mike, what size scope are you looking at getting?

Dean

fracs
01-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks all.

Actually my story is a little complicated. I have a set of Galaxy 18" f/5.5 optics, which I purchased in the 90s (yes - f/5.5, it's not a typo). I followed D.Kriege's notes from the Telescope Making magazine to build my own Dob back then... Kinda didn't work out as planned (I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer :) ).

Now, after a long pause from Astronomy, I am looking at options to return to the hobby. Here's what I am considering:

(a) clean and re-coat both my existing primary & secondary mirrors, then contract SDM to build a lovely scope around them. I have been inspired by claims of 96% reflectivity on Galaxy/OMI primaries, and want in on that action! - I have already contacted SDM.

(b) shelve the 18" f/5.5 optics for now, and just buy a new (& complete) 18" f/4.5 Obsession. - out of interest, I contacted Obsession, but Dave won't take on the "unusual" focal ratio of my optics.

Happy if you want to add to my deliberations...

Cheers.
Mike

Rick Petrie
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Mike
If you already have the optics and they are good quality glass, it may be an option to have the primary refigured to a f4.5 and get someone like Peter Reid from SDM to build a scope around them.
I'm sure Isaac from Chi Qin could then recoat your mirrors to obtain a quality coating.
You would then have a fast, manageable, first class telescope to be sure.
Someone here could recommend a good optician as well to refigure locally.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

Rodstar
03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Mike,

I am another very content SDM buyer. Peter will custom build to your specs, so if you have a mirror you want to use, he can build a scope around it.

I did the comparison when I bought my SDM back in 2007, and Obsession was going to be a bit more. What was of highest concern, however, was being able to get local support - whereas Obsession is on the other side of the world, Peter Reid is one day's drive away, and has in fact always come to collect my scope for add-ons as he does the rounds deliverying other scopes etc. Peter is a wonderful bloke, a master craftsman and a true gentleman. Give him a call!

knightware
04-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Mike,

Another possibility...

I don't know whether this alternative is economically competitive, but since Obsession can't build around your optics, here is another builder:

Teeter's Telescopes (USA) will build a custom telescope around your mirror. The build quality in my experience is excellent; shipping and duties would be the important consideration. I know that Rob Teeter has shipped to Asia, so he has experience with international shipping. It might be worth an inquiry.

I own a 14.5 inch f/4.5 built by Teeter. I considered Obsession but chose Teeter because he could customize to my specification. I talked to him in person before ordering and he answered all of my questions thoroughly and competently.

This telescope was reviewed by me in Astronomy Technology Today: http://www.teeterstelescopes.com/att33_teeters.pdf and describes my 'acceptance test'.

By the way, I owned a 20 inch f/5 Galaxy mirror made in 1989, and it was an exquisite mirror. If your 18 is as good, I really hope you are able to use it again.

Good luck in your quest!
- Phyllis

Satchmo
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
1989 - that may have been figured by Jerry Wilkinson who was a talented guy who figured the mirrors at Galaxy then ...

Mike , I see you are Sydney - PM me if you want to get your mirror tested - at this stage the info on the quality of your mirror is what you need to balance the option equation .