PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone heard of PMX shipments yet?

gregbradley
24-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Bisque website said first PMX mounts shipping in June. June is almost over. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Greg.

Paul Haese
24-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Greg,

I have not heard of anyone getting a unit yet. I would think though that the units will go to Americans first and then to other countries. Despite first in best dressed I am yet to see a single American company actually come through with this policy. I would think it might be sometime around October for deliveries.

gregbradley
24-06-2011, 02:54 PM
You might be right there Paul.

Greg.

CDKPhil
24-06-2011, 03:22 PM
There was a comment on the Bisque website, that they were going to ship at the end of June "if everything came together as planned".

Cheers
Phil

cfranks
24-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I queried them on June 2nd and they said they were assembling them and hoped to start deliveries in 3 or 4 weeks.

From previous experience with other companies, I think Paul's comments are correct.

Of course, my Gemini controller for my G11 failed in Feb. so I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms!

Charles

CDKPhil
12-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I noticed a blog posted on the SB web site about the MX. It did not give to much away though. Nice photo of it mounted on what looks like a Rob Miller tripod.

Cheers
Phil

gregbradley
12-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks.

It sounds like late July/August for the first shipments.

Greg.

cventer
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Saw post last week on bisque support forum saying they were waiting for some sub component parts to finish final assembly and expected them in 2 to 3 weeks.

My guess is those of us on wait for 2nd set of shipments will be lucky to see them by oct or nov. Hope I am wrong though.

Still undecided on what tripod to use. Rob miller ones look good but part of me can't get my head around how thin the legs look say compared to a Losmandy hd folding tripod.

gregbradley
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I was considering a Rob Miller tripod as well.

Perhaps we should ask him what the specs are on those skinny legs.

You have a portable pier don't you? Then perhaps its better to just use an adapter plate that fits your pier?

I was also considering just a plate and I weld some attachment brackets to my existing pier.

Greg.

pmrid
12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Yes and no.
On 7th July, I had this reply to my inquiry:
""OPT will get 15-20 mounts from the first delivery run, but the actual delivery date is still the end of the 2nd quarter give or take a few weeks.it is more important to get the mounts right as opposed to right now!"
I will contact you as soon as your mount is ready to ship."

To which I replied:

"I am more than a little surprised by the tone of that reply
(whether it is from OPT or SB). It strikes me a glib and dismissive
bespeaking more contempt than concern for people who have shown
nothing but patience and forebearance for months.
To say that I am disappointed by the reply is a considerable
understatement. You may feel free to share my disappointment with SB
as you please."

The response was predictable but contained no assurances.

Peter

cventer
12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I do have pier but it's bordering on portable. Ie needs to go in 4wd or trailer. Wont fit into boot of my car hence why i want something more portable but robust.

frolinmod
12-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Daniel Bisque has just indicated that Software Bisque will make a delivery update announcement by Friday of this week.

frolinmod
16-07-2011, 09:50 AM
The PMXs have started shipping today.

cventer
16-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Yup from the source

http://www.bisque.com/sc/blogs/daniel_bisques_blog/archive/2011/07/15/paramount-mx-serial-number-1.aspx

rally
17-07-2011, 02:00 PM
The way I read it, if one reads the actual words used, they shipped just one mount to their most long term associate.

"Now that Paramount MX #1 is out the door, we’ll do our best to deliver your mount to you as quickly as possible, and will let you know exactly when your mount is ready to ship. "

So it seems the rest will ship later . . .

"the next several months (and hopefully longer) will bring a deluge of Paramount MXs shipping from of our offices here in Golden to destinations all over the globe."

So that appears to mean everyone will get advice on when theirs will ship in the next few months ?

I do hope I'm wrong.

pmrid
17-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I once saw a guy with a T-Shirt carrying the message "Advanced Cynicism Practiced here!" I have reread the SB announcement and tend to agree with your reading of it! An Advanced Cynicism T-Shirt is on it's way to you as today's outstanding contributor!!!!

Peter

gregbradley
17-07-2011, 03:09 PM
PR Translation:

"Its gonna be a coupla more months maybe longer".

Hehehe

Greg.

pmrid
17-07-2011, 04:10 PM
The key words in the blurb seem to be:
"As we finish assembling the first production run ..." meaning we haven't actually finished building the first production run yet - they're still in pieces over the floor of the boss' garage. So their little press release is disengenuous smoke-and-mirrors. This thing had better be worth the wait.
Peter

rally
17-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Peter,

. . . . and you win the embroidered cap !!

It would just be nice if there was something solidly reliable, at this stage anything solid is conspicuously absent.

The support forum has essentially unanswered questions from people enquiring genuinely and politely about the delivery that was promised and paid for.

Its one thing to have a single working prototype, its yet another to have a full production run assembled.
Time will tell, but it should not be a matter of money - the production development has been fully funded by paying customers !

There is only 2 weeks of special offer left and it would seem unlikely that there will be any significant user reviews within this time - so I am quite disappointed with the situation.

Rally

frolinmod
17-07-2011, 05:31 PM
I talked to Steven Bisque yesterday at SCAE in the OPT parking lot. (I even guessed his name correctly, despite all the Bisque brothers looking alike.) He had brought an MX on a Rob Miller medium duty tripod with him. He also had a polar alignment scope for the mount. Mind you, the last time I saw an MX mount in person, it didn't have any electronics. This one did have electronics and was fully functional with the power turned on. Steven said something about only recently receiving the production 5000 series electronics boards and that they have been burning them in for the last few weeks. I asked him whether I could get an MX joystick for my ME and he said yes, they have a large number of them on hand, so no waiting.

I also talked to the QSI guy. He was a bit more paranoid. When I asked him where my 600 series camera was, he wanted to know my name before he would venture to answer the question. I gather they have irate stalker types to worry about...

The Planewave guy tried to sell me a CDK20. I guess I look like I'm made of money or something. Must be the hat.

cventer
18-07-2011, 12:15 PM
How was the Rob Miller tripod? I am about to order one but still a little scepticle about how stable they will be. They just look flimsy.

frolinmod
18-07-2011, 01:40 PM
They're certainly not flimsy. Not at all. My ME is normally on an 10-inch diameter Astro-Physics portable pier in my back yard. I put it on a TRI36H whenever I take it up to the local mountains. Definitely two thumbs up for the Rob Miller tripods.

gregbradley
19-07-2011, 03:22 PM
recently receiving the production 5000 series electronics boards and that they have been burning them in for the last few weeks.

What does burning in a board mean? Soldering them in or running them for a while to make sure they work?

Greg.

RickS
19-07-2011, 03:52 PM
My Tri36M is very sturdy also. They are light weight, but all the bits lock together and the tripod is very rigid.

The latter... it means running them for a time period under test to make sure that any boards likely to fail early don't fail in the field.

TrevorW
19-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Must be rev heads sounds like they are burning in a motor

rally
19-07-2011, 06:46 PM
It might also mean burning the EPROMs, Microprocessors or Flash with their firmware.

frolinmod
19-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Guys, "burning in", in this context definitely means:

gregbradley
20-07-2011, 01:06 AM
The latter... it means running them for a time period under test to make sure that any boards likely to fail early don't fail in the field.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rick and Ernie.

Greg.

pmrid
21-07-2011, 07:18 AM
The word I have from OPT this morning is:
" SB will be shipping within the next two weeks"
Peter

frolinmod
21-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Someone on the SoftBisqUser yahoo group reports that OPT has shipped their mount. That person ordered their mount from OPT in January. Was that someone a user here?

pmrid
21-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Not me. I ordered and paid in full in March. OPT tell me I'm #5 in their list. I guess that makes me #4 now.

Peter.

cventer
21-07-2011, 11:37 AM
My guess is those of us in 2nd Round only likely to be oct nov if lucky

Paid in full in march. Ouch with dollar now at 1.06 that must sting a little.

frolinmod
30-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Or maybe the first wave won't be until November. It turns out the OPT notification was premature and OPT have walked it back. So far you guys here have been the most accurate pessimists, err, prognosticators.

RCOS1
30-07-2011, 06:59 AM
The first shipments into Oz will belong to our NG/SG Members
ordering by using our OPT discount :)

cfranks
30-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Ouch indeed! I paid Bisque in full for mine in August 2010. 'To take advantage of the good USD/AUD rate.' :sadeyes:

Charles

pmrid
31-07-2011, 05:07 PM
As at 10 days ago, OPT were telling me "a couple of weeks".
But then, a month ago they advised:
"OPT will get 15-20 mounts from the first delivery run, but the actual delivery date is still the end of the 2nd quarter give or take a few weeks.it is more important to get the mounts right as opposed to right now!"
I haven't heard anything further since the 21st.
Any else heard anything?
Peter

CDKPhil
31-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I spoke to Bintel on Friday they seem to think that the second shipment will be in December. I hope they are wrong my CDK is going to be here in a couple of weeks and I will have no mount to put it on.
But I think it will be more like 2012 before I see any mount.:sadeyes:

There is always a chance that the first shipment might get here before christmas.

Might have to put a dovetail on the old Sampson mount an make it a push to :lol:

Cheers
phil

cventer
02-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Would not surprise me at all especially given I still have not heard of anyone but pmx no 1 being delivered in USA.

Just saw this on software bisque forum

** Software Bisque began shipping the Paramount MX on July 15, 2011.* As of April 2, 2011, the number of deposits we've received exceeds the number of Paramount MXs we can ship before the end of July, 2011.* Therefore, orders placed after April 2, 2011 will ship in the fourth quarter of 2011.

rat156
02-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Well according to Craig Weatherwax from OPT I'm now #1 in the queue. I paid today with the $A at 1.09, all except for the shipping.

Now the wait...

Cheers
Stuart

cventer
02-08-2011, 06:49 PM
In which queue ?

The 3rd after xmas shipment sometime in March 2012 ? :lol::D

pmrid
02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Well, I'm puzzled. I paid in full back in March in a SG/NG special deal courtesy of Mr. Weatherwax and have been repeatedly addvised by OPT that I am in position #5. Good luck tp you for being accelerated up the queue, but it rather begs the question what the advantage was of paying for this mount over 5 months ago.
Peter.

gregbradley
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I simply placed an order with OPT with no money down as was advertised on their site.

I haven't heard anything back about when. I was told first shipment but I doubt that will happen.

I am in no rush so if its Christmas time when it ships that is fine with me.

Greg.

rat156
04-08-2011, 07:11 AM
I can't speak for Craig, but I also ordered ages ago, pretty much as soon as it was announced. I paid later as they didn't require payment up front. According to the email I got from Craig, they shipped their first five units last week or so.

Cheers
Stuart

cventer
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone notice the price has gone up ? MX is now $9000

What interested me more was this text now at the bottom

"To receive a mount from the initial production run (and while supplies last) you can purchase the Paramount MX Robotic Telescope Mount $4,000.00 Deposit (http://www.bisque.com/sc/shops/store/All+Products/Hot+Products/MXDeposit.aspx), or, optionally, if you wish to deposit the entire purchase price for the Paramount MX, please order the Paramount MX Robotic Telescope Mount $9,000.00 (http://www.bisque.com/sc/shops/store/MXFullDeposit.aspx) product instead. Many have requested the "full deposit option" since international exchange rates make this advantageous."

Seems to imply they have not filled the first production quota with orders yet.

I also ordered one of Rob Miller's tripods for mine in matching paramount colors.

Mighty_oz
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Well if they haven't sold all those first ed mounts then Where's mine ! Or in fact yours or yours ?????
I've already paid for mine and had nothing back so far :(
Hmm bad news i think, i just looked at the Soft Bisque MX page and it used to say "now shipping" Except that has now gone !
Nor have i seen or heard of anyone else getting theirs yet except that first one !
It all sounds a little fishy to me unless No-One in the USA or Cananda ordered one and that can't be possible.
Anyone in Oz got a tracking number yet to see if it's actually left ?

Marcus

pmrid
08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I think OPT are doing their best to keep the pressure on SB. I had this email from Craig yesterday:

"Since you areone of the first 5 I would imagine they will ship your mount to us within thenext 5-7 days ( I will try to have them ship the first one to us, so we can defer any additional shipping time)....with 3 days transit it should be here within 10 days. I appreciate your patience in this matter. I think it is admirable that that Bisque wants to get it right as opposed to right now!

Quote Bisque:

“ We are trying our best to get 2 out a day with all of the extensive testing that we are doing it has taken us a little more time then we predicted. Now that we are shipping I was going to try to start shipping one MX per dayfor Oceanside for the first five.”

I must say that sound as though shipping has commenced or is within a day or two of commencing.

Peter

Mighty_oz
08-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Well considering that they announced that on July 15th they had shipped #1 out the door , i think that almost a month later for #2 to go out is a bit slow :)
Maybe as is posted on their forums a bit of feedback to the customer would be in order lol.
Anyways glad to hear that your mount will be shipped soonish. Eagerly await your posts and pics on it when u get it.

Marcus.

pluck
08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Slightly off-topic, but of possible interest to anyone following this thread currently considering a mount in this class, I draw your attention to Astro-Physics who are advertising immediate availability of Mach1 GTO mounts from their latest production run. As someone who has worked with and owns a Paramount ME, I must say that the Mach1 has outstanding performance.

They are also almost $3000 less expensive.

Paul

pmrid
08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
They're a lovely mount alright - but their capacity is less than half of the PMX. According to AP, it can carry approximately 45 lb. (20 kg) scope and accessories compared with 45Kgs for the PMX. I think that makes it worth the $3K gap.
Peter

cventer
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Paul you might be misleading people believing these are the same class of mount.

the MX is more like an AP900 than a Mach 1 GTO

MX has 40 kg payload vs 20.5 stated for Mach 1.

No doubt its a fine instrument but probbaly more like a VERY upmarket G-11 than alternative to MX.

Bearing in mind this opinion is comming from someone who has seen neither mount though and just going of internet specs.

gregbradley
09-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I think an AP1200 is more the competitor for the PMX.

They both have great advantages. But if the PMX is half as good as the PME then I think it would be better than the AP1200. Basically more sophisticated integration with software. The image past the meridian feature of the AP1200 was most appealling to me. But the PMX does 2 hours past the meridian which is better than what the PME does (or at least I think so).

The PMX is considerably cheaper than the AP1200. In fact that is the most obvious thing about the PMX. It represents incredible value and bang for your buck. All its competitors are way more expensive and then they throw in a bunch of expensive software.

I think the AP900 is probably a bit lesser in most respects to the PMX and the AP1200 probably higher in payload.The AP1200 is about $10,000 but then that does not include a dovetail or counterweights. These are expensive. Nor does it include expensive software like the SkyX, T-Point, Precision PE etc. So PMX probably fits in between AP900 and AP1200 with neither being an exact competitor.

Lets face it either PMX or AP would be awesome. AP MAch 1 though is light weight in load capability and in a different class and really can't be compared for this reason.

You could probably run a 14 inch scope easily with the PMX perhaps even a Planewave CDK17. Yet to be seen in practice though. AP1200 should handle a CDK17 easily.

Greg.

pluck
09-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I disagree. My view on suitability is from the angle that many who are following this thread are entertaining the thought of a high end mount for sub-130 mm class refractors. I own and use both a both a Paramount ME and and AP Mach1, and can attest with some confidence the suitability of the Mach1 for the vast majority of current an popular refractors and a fairly large sample of small astrographs. I would clearly not mount a CDK 17 on a Mach1, but I equally would probably not mount one on a Paramount MX either. (Truth is that if you can afford a CDK 17, you buy a Paramount ME or equivalent to go with it)

Just to clarify my original post - those contemplating the PMX as a portable mount for their 120mm refractor should know that there are very suitable alternatives, particularly if delivery schedule and price is an important consideration.

PS - I actually think it's more misleading to suggest that a MX could "run a 14 inch scope easily" or be a viable mount for a Planewave CDK 17 without actually having seen or used one yet. Yet, to be fair to Greg, he does caveat this statement with "yet to be seen in practice"

All in good faith.

:)

Paul

gregbradley
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Certainly for 120-130mm refractors an AP Mach 1 would be awesome.

Roland though would be the first to tell you (I have seen him advise others) that the Mach 1 would not be suitable for much larger than that.
But then he is probably quite conservative.

True the PMX has yet to prove itself and I would not suggest buying one for a super heavy scope. I was more making the point its weight capacity is closer to that of the AP1200 (not quite). MY CDK17 is thrown around effortlessly by a PME so hence the comment about the PMX may handle a CDK17 (you never know your luck) but I am sure Bisque would not recommend that. An AP1200 though I think would handle a CDK17.
Hell, I used to run a 12.5 inch RCOS on a Tak NJP and it worked OK. Not ideal though for the overmount your scope approach.

Greg.

pluck
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Cheers Greg.

I hear you. My mind harks back to a 12.5" Newtonian I had mounted on a Meade Research Series mount in the mid eighties. The Mach1's thrust surface is bigger than that mount, and it is twice as sturdy.

The demands of CCD imaging have certainly changed the requirements for mounts over the years. Which is why I find it slightly troublesome to see raw weight carrying capacity still quoted in forums as the primary consideration for comparing one mount to another. Like me, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Paul

Marke
09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=gregbradley]Certainly for 120-130mm refractors an AP Mach 1 would be awesome.

Roland though would be the first to tell you (I have seen him advise others) that the Mach 1 would not be suitable for much larger than that.
But then he is probably quite conservative.

Actually to quote AP
"Ideal instruments include: Astro-Physics and similar fast refractors up to our 160 mm f7.5 StarFire EDF, 8-11" SCTs, 6-8" Maks or any scopes of a similar size." for the Mach1 and these are conservative - its a bigger mount
than most realise.

gregbradley
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
There you go. From the horses mouth. AP gear is awesome.

Greg.

frolinmod
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
People on the Software Bisque Paramouont MX support forum over at the Software Bisque website are now reporting actual delivery having taken place today as well as shipping notices with tracking that specify delivery as scheduled within days from now. So it looks like things are finally happening.

pmrid
11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
OPT advise that my mount has been shipped to them by Bisque and they expect to on-ship it to me on the 15th.
We are go for launch and counting.
Peter

Mighty_oz
11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm really GLAD for u that it's finally on it's way.
But 5 days to get there when it's only 1,049 miles away or 17hrs by road via google maps is really slow, i can only hope that they shipp it to Oz Faster ! :) Otherwise it will be next year before u get it.
Just my impatience talking hehe It's going to be really good to see all the photo's and writeups that will soon appear.

frolinmod
11-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Ahem, no UPS pickups or deliveries here on the weekend (unless you pay big bucks for the privilege) hence OPT won't get it and won't re-ship it during a weekend. They also may not re-ship it the same day they receive it because UPS might deliver it late in the day. UPS are often still doing deliveries quite late in the day. Therefore if they receive it on Friday, they may not re-ship it until Monday. And if they don't get it until Monday, they may not re-ship it until Tuesday. Those pesky weekends and late in the day deliveries really slow things down!

cfranks
12-08-2011, 09:59 AM
One guy said he had just received his from an order placed Dec 28, 2010. I've just written to Bisque about it as my order was placed July, 2010! :mad2:

Charles

1100ME
12-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Slightly off topic. What is the cheapest way to ship a large (MX, AP900 sized) package to Australia,from the US? US Mail Global Express seems the only half decent, lowish cost, option. I've sent a 42" x 12" x 12", 18 lb package this way for $(US)364 inc insurance. Anything over 79" combined length and girth cannot go US Mail Priority package (around $110).UPS charge an absolute fortune for these types of packages.:question:

Mighty_oz
12-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Here one for all of us, this guys just got his and has pics up :)
http://blog.sfceng.net/

cfranks
12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
He is the one I mentioned. The mount looks great doesn't it!

Charles

cventer
13-08-2011, 09:53 AM
What I cant believe is this guy has been waiting over 10 months. He gets the mount and only expects first light on it in a month after he gets it !

Not like he has not had enough time to prepare for it.

Anyway Im just jealous he has his already.

cventer
16-08-2011, 09:49 AM
astronomytechnologytoday latest edition has a review of the MX in it.

https://www.astronomytechnologytoday.com/Default.asp

You can sign up for online version of the magazine for not much at all.

Interesting read. Some features on the mount I did not know it had. The adjusters for alt and az are indexed to match t-point polar alignment so when tpoint tells you to adjust x or y it matches exactly.

Its not so much a review as the guy who wrote it works for software bisque but its interesting none the less and makes me even more impatient to get my mount.

pmrid
16-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I have a UPS Tracking Number!!:jump::clap::party::party2:

Mighty_oz
16-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Congrats ! :thumbsup: I :prey: it get's to u soon.

pmrid
18-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Sooner than I expected. It hit the Botany Customs facility in the wee hours this morning. It's in the country at least.
Waiting now for that call saying "please send us some GST".
Peter

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I've been notified my mount will be ready to ship in the next 2 weeks.
So there is movement at the station.

Greg.

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 02:37 PM
How much was the shipping cost?

Greg.

pmrid
18-08-2011, 02:45 PM
US$479 and of course A$910 GST/entry fees etc. I got the mount at US$8250 through Southern Galactic's deal with Craig Weatherwax. But that's a bit of a joke now because the A$ was just on parity when I prepaid mine. It qlould cost several undred less today. Dem's da breaks.

P

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that. I thought it would be about US$500.

Good price on the bulk buy. Aussie dollar is only about $1.04 now so
we are only talking about $220 or so. You are a touch ahead so you can buy yourself an ice cream and a packet of chewing gum tonight but thats about it.:lol:

Greg.

DavidNg
18-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi all, for the experienced Paramount users

Should I order any accessory together when my MX is ready for shipment? (deposited in July 2011, wont be for awhile I guess). I am thinking of:
1. Base to Pier plate adaptor ( I will build a concrete pier )
2. Alignment scope
3. External power cable set for SBIG ST10me

I am new in this astrophoto business. thanks
David

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 07:20 PM
That sounds about right.
It comes with counterweights and a dovetail which are usually extras on many mounts.

Greg.

rat156
18-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about an alignment scope, not worth much in the SH. If it's permanently mounted you'll drift align it anyway, or use T-point (which I haven't used but some here have).

I'm looking at getting a pier to PMX adapter made by a local company, the bottom of it will bolt up to a Meade tripod, the ones on the website will cost a fortune to get here.

Cheers
Stuart

cventer
18-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I did not see any for ST10 ? I saw ST-7 cables. Are they same for st-7,8,2000 and st-10 ?

Also $169 for some cable seems a bit extreme.

Ordered the adaptor plate with my mount. Its only $99. Be surprised if you can get one professionaly made for much less.

Terry B
18-08-2011, 11:08 PM
ST 7,8,9,and 10 power cables are the same. I don't know about the other SBIG cameras.

Mighty_oz
18-08-2011, 11:17 PM
That $169 sure does cost a lot.
The adapter plate costs another 90 odd to post if u order it seperatley as i was about to do that today till i saw what the postage was :(

gregbradley
18-08-2011, 11:35 PM
I see Bisque has increased the price of the PMX for new orders to $9000.

Greg.

Paul Haese
19-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Yep that's the way. In the middle of an economic crisis increase your prices. They should be dropping prices to increase volume.

Mighty_oz
19-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Don't say that if they increase their volume then we'd never get our mounts.

I see on their optional accessories they now have a portable power supply, but at $600 min then the postage i think i'll look at other options. Think it's just a simple battery pack by the looks. just got the postage from them $130us extra.

DavidNg
19-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you every body for your advice: I will add the adaptive plate and the power cable to the order. Alignment scope seems out of favor here.

gregbradley
19-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Alignment scope is superb on mounts like Tak NJP but you have to know how to use them. Because southern pole stars are dim that is harder.

Mike Sidonio mastered it and as a result he can polar align his scope super accurately in minutes.

But the PMX really deserves the use of T-Point. Its a bit of a learning curve and software setup but it is a pretty amazing piece of software that ensures extremely accurate polar alignment.

You get that software with the PMX.

Greg.

pmrid
19-08-2011, 04:26 PM
And it's getting closer. Left Sydney Customs this time yesterday heading north. I expect to see it Monday.
Dig out your raincoats everyone.
Peter

adman
19-08-2011, 05:25 PM
for that mount Peter, we'll need something more than a raincoat...a small boat maybe. I will make sure my Flood insurance is up to date.

Can't wait to see it.

Adam

Bassnut
19-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, some cable. Well, I made an extention cable for my ST10, done properly, wasnt hard, and the ST10 stoped working. Voltage drop or something. The SBIG cable will work at least, however they do that.

gregbradley
19-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Looking forward to seeing some first pictures of it and a review later on.

Greg.

RickS
19-08-2011, 08:52 PM
At least you'll be able to sit in the warm room and admire it, Peter ;)

keni
19-08-2011, 09:16 PM
What a stroke of luck Peter.
I have an RDO Monday so I can wait at your gate, sign for it and then bring it up the drive for you......;)

Talk about generous.

Ken.

gregbradley
19-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't see power cables suitable for FLI Microline and Proline.

I see in the MX forum that they are planning to make some in a few weeks.

Greg.

CDKPhil
20-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Just out of interest somebody on the SB forum has posted a picture with the PME, AP 1200, and the MX, ( 3 mount line up). I did not picture in my mind the actual size of the MX, I have download the tech drawings with the dimensions but just using a ruler doesn't do it justice.

Great news Peter, I guess you will be the first in Australia to get yours?

Cheers
Phil

gregbradley
20-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Its bigger than I thought.

Here is the link:

http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/13545.aspx

Greg.

TrevorW
20-08-2011, 10:51 AM
copy image here Greg access denied on link

pmrid
20-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Maybe not. Just checked the tracking site for UPS and see that for some reason, the consignment has left Sydney and gone south - to Melbourne- not north to Brisbane.

Is there a hidden message here?

Peter

Mighty_oz
20-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Very nice of u to give us all a tour , hope it doesn't take to long to get to us here in Perth :)
Also maybe it's just spreading the rain etc over more of Australia ??????
Hope u get it Monday !

g__day
20-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The SB image someone requested:

cventer
20-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Brilliant. It must be mine. I will tell you all about it when I get it :lol:

Paul Haese
20-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Trevor I think you need to be a member of the forum to get images.

Interesting to see one of these compared to the PME. It is nearly as high by the looks and nearly the same dimensions. Even though its capacity is less the size is similar. If you have not seen a PME up close then this PMX is going to give you a shock. The PME is physically monsterous. I did not think the MX would be of similar proportions. I bet you say Holy crap the first time you open the box.:)

pmrid
21-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I plan to do a comparison image against my Titan when I get the thing here. The capacity is aboutnthe same (the Titan is a 100 Lb mount and the PMX 90 Lbs) - and I remember when I first saw the Titan my reaction was right up there in the Holy Crap range.

Peter

frolinmod
21-08-2011, 09:57 AM
That picture is a bit misleading. In the picture the base of the ME appears to be the same size or even smaller than the base of the MX. In reality it's larger. Must be the perspective. Also, the picture can't tell you anything about the weight. The MX is much lighter an easier to carry than the ME. If you've ever carried an ME for a distance of more than a few meters, you'll find this weight difference briskly refreshing. This is rather ironic because the GT-1100S, the precursor to the ME was even heavier and more difficult to carry than the ME and I thought the same thing about the ME compared to the 1100S when the ME first came out.

pmrid
21-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Just checked the Tracking again and it now says the mount is back in Botany - where it first arrived on the 17th and the diversion to Melbourne has been deleted from the histpry of movements. So 4 days later, it's still in Sydney but now the tracking detail says "The number of pieces does not match the invoice, waybill, or tracking label " and delivery is not now expected before the 29th. So just what is there is anyone's guess.
It took only 2 days from pickup at OPT in California to arrive in Sydney and yet it has now taken 4 days to move nowhere and at best will take another 8 days to get from Sydney to Brisbane.
You have to wonder what kind of system these people are using. It sure isn't working.
Peter

keni
21-08-2011, 05:47 PM
So I shouldn't waste my RDO tomorrow loitering with intent near your front gate.....Rats!!!
Probably safer to stay away lest I get grabbed for the painting chain gang.

I hope we'll have something to toast on Saturday though and I don't mean bread.Then again it's not too hard to find an excuse...;)

Ken.

gregbradley
21-08-2011, 09:53 PM
That's pathetic. How come the mixup?

I might have mine by then!

Greg

pmrid
24-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Crikey UPS are a bunch of RichardCraniums. The latest is that the two parcels are 2500km apart. One has been to Melbourne twice. The delivery date on the weights parcel is next Tuesday and the mount proper does not have any delivery date yet - possibly because they don't know where it is.

It seft California on the 15th nd arrived in Sydney on the 18th - 3 days to travel 12000km. By the time the first parcel gets here (on theior current best estimate), it will have taken 12 days to travel the last 1000km. And when the second parcel arrives (if it arrives at all), it will be even longer.

I must say this is the worst shipping experience I've had to date.

Peter.

gregbradley
24-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm sure it will turn up. Its just annoying you are hanging out for it and they are messing up.

Greg.

pmrid
24-08-2011, 07:02 PM
An hour after my previous post, the first parcel arrived via Australia Post. It's the parcel containing the mount head. So It's here.
I have my PMX - pics to follow tomorrow. :2thumbs:
Peter.

gregbradley
24-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Excellent!

Greg.

Octane
24-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Peter,

My hearty congratulations. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Is it going to be home for your C14?

H

cfranks
24-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Just got my tracking # with expected delivery date of 1st Sept. Gives me plenty of time to finish the pier plate. :)

Charles

cventer
24-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Charles. When did you order yours ?

cfranks
25-08-2011, 08:58 AM
July, 2010. Paid in full August 2010 'to take advantage of the then favourable rate-of-exchange'. LOL

Charles

pmrid
25-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Well boys, the best part of the beast is here. ALL the accessories including the mounting bolts, dec bar, weights, power, cables etc are in parcel #2 somewhere between here and Melbourne (I think).
But, as prmoised earlier, here is a compariosn image with my Titan - very similar in size really - and if you measure from the mid-point of the D-Saddle to the mount-plate - they each come out at about 600mm high.
I've also thrown in a couple of shots pof the rear connection and control points.
Now we wait for the rest.
Peter

Tandum
25-08-2011, 09:33 AM
WoooHoo .. you got it at last.

I've only seen one guy (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4759560/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) on CN who has received one. Looks like lots of them are coming here.

Octane
25-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Mate, that is beautiful!

I want one.

H

Mighty_oz
25-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Am i glad u got yours :) The thought of it going astray is terrifying. These be exciting times for us hey :)
Please keep the pics coming and maybe a review ?

Marcus.

RickS
25-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I look forward to seeing it in the flesh, Peter! Make sure you organise some fine weather for Saturday, please :)

strongmanmike
25-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Very niiiice.....

gregbradley
25-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Oooh a very pretty mount.

I like the power outlets on the back. That is often a pain with other mounts.

Greg.

Mighty_oz
25-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Gotto keep this thread alive :)
Link to another whose got his Mx and got a couple 10 min unguided images :)
http://www.eastcoastastro.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=fmrpfmeddp3m9he 9gms55f2mg2&topic=2706.msg21729;topicseen#new

DavidNg
26-08-2011, 11:39 AM
If I have a Paramount MX I will keep it in the living room, can't keep my eyes off it. Its too nice to put out door.

pmrid
26-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Yahoo!!
Will wonders never cease!!
The missing parcel from OPT has now arrived and I am ready to assemble.
Peter

Mighty_oz
26-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Grats :) U must be relieved !

ozstronomer
26-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Great news Peter, at last all the pieces are coming together.:thumbsup:

Unfortunately the Astro gods also heard you had a new toy and have sent us a few clouds as well. Hope all goes well this weekend with testing.:)

Terry B
26-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Just keep those clouds north of the border please.

DavidTrap
26-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Good to hear Peter - look forward to seeing it in due course.

Certainly explains why they predicted sucker holes tonight have well and truly disappeared...

DT

gregbradley
26-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I am looking forward to hearing your first impressions of the mount.

Greg.

rat156
26-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Just got my notification that my mount is due at OPT by the end of the week, that's today by my reckoning. Anyway after the UPS debacle I'm getting mine shipped by Allstates, I have to pick up at the airport though.

Cheers
Stuart

gregbradley
26-08-2011, 06:40 PM
That's exciting Stuart.

Can you post how much the shipping is with Allstates?

I haven't heard of them before. You have confidence in them?

Greg.

pmrid
27-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Stuart, it seems to me that's a good call.
Peter

pmrid
27-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Well, I did wonder sometimes if this was ever going to happen. But here it is - mounted, balanced and wired.
And its pouring down outside!!!
Peter

strongmanmike
27-08-2011, 04:32 PM
:thumbsup:

rat156
27-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Greg,

Craig from OPT organised them, $594.76 vs $798.69 for UPS.

I've done things like this before and picking up from the airport is the way to go, things always seem to get lost once they arrive in this country. Just ask Peter. If all they have to do is get it through customs, then everything seems to happen quickly.

Cheers
Stuart

Paul Haese
27-08-2011, 07:03 PM
New scope needed for that PMX now Peter. That old orange tube is gonna have all sorts of dramas. Just the mirror flop alone will make pointing a nightmare. Perhaps a nice refractor or fixed mirror assembly of some sort.;) Compared to the Titann the PMX will be like driving a Ferrari.:thumbsup: The first time you get it to 10 arc seconds, you will be sold forever.

pmrid
28-08-2011, 02:37 PM
You're right about that - the accuracy of the pointing model is the reason why I bought this mount so why compromise it with mirror flop?
Fortunately, a new scope is not required. I just had to clear a bit of space to access the back of the shed where I had a nice 10" F3.8 astrograph sitting for a year doing nothing. A quick clean and re-collimation and it's installed and ready to go.

Peter

gregbradley
28-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Boy, that sounds like a potent combo.

What camera are you using?

Greg.

Paul Haese
28-08-2011, 08:38 PM
aahh that looks better. Show us your TPoint model too. I would like to see it.

cfranks
28-08-2011, 11:49 PM
I think their print-out of the progress is up the creek as I am also getting the 'number of pieces doesn't match' message. I'll just have to patient until the promised delivery date of this Thursday. :sadeyes:

Charles

pmrid
29-08-2011, 07:07 AM
As it turned out, the "number doesn't match" notation was right - the 2 boxes became separated and in the process of sorting it out, someone accessed the paperwork stuffed inside that little adhesive envelope thing on the boxes - presumably to look at the packing list or some-such. And in that process also removed the paperwork from Bisque with the various serial numbers on it. The result was I had to ask Daniel Bisque to go into their computer and find out what there are and to register them for me on their internal system so I could access them. It was a real PITA.
Peter

pmrid
29-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi Greg.
I haven't decided. For the time being, while I get the tracking models and alignment sorted, and get more familiar with using TheSky, I'll just use my QHY8.
I have a full set of Astrodon LRGB and NB filters but they're only 1.25" so I'm probably limited to using something like and 8300-sized sensor to avoid vignetting. Probably an ATIK383 or a sexy new QSI with integrated FilterWHeel. I'll be looking for ideas.

Peter

cfranks
29-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I can imagine your frustration. At least you got the big bit first. Gave you something to polish while waiting for the other one. :) I also ordered the MX Carry Case so I have 3 parcels coming. I also got 3 tracking numbers which may be useful?

Charles

rat156
30-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Got my shipping notification today, should be in the country on Thursday. Possibly Friday pickup!

Cheers
Stuart

gregbradley
30-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Woohoo Stuart.

That's something to look forward to.

Only 3 more sleeps to go!

Greg.

pmrid
30-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Good on you Stuart. I fired mine up last night, TheSkyX scope control is very, very good. And watching this baby slew is just pure poetry. Of course the sky remains a thick, wet soup up here and I have to OS for work on Monday for 10 days. So I have no doubt that you will get some first-light images up well before me.
Peter

rat156
30-08-2011, 06:58 PM
That reminds me of a joke I heard the other day, we were talking about the truckies blockade of Canberra.

Why are the truckies so excited at this time of year?

Only three more sleeps to Christmas!

Cheers
Stuart

gregbradley
31-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Very good Stuart:lol:

Greg

cfranks
01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I got mine today, well, 2 of the 3 boxes! As has already been said, it is a work of art. Earlier, I had made a plate for my pier for the MX to bolt to and today, found the holes are out by 0.5mm. The mount's precision is such that the mounting bolts will not screw in (to two of the holes!). I could easily make them fit by slightly opening the holes in the mount but I will remake the plate instead.:thumbsup:
For those still waiting, it is definately worth it.

Charles

frolinmod
01-09-2011, 06:58 PM
You could also flush US$9000 down the drain.

Good choice!

cfranks
01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Just over $11000, taking in the GST and freight.

One thing that has surprised me, it only weighs 4.5Kg more than my G11. No counterweights/shaft of course, so it should be reasonably portable.

Charles

rat156
01-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Gee I'm glad I waited for the $A to go up.

I just made my last payment for the GST and import.

All up about $9400.

It should arrive tomorrow, which explains why I bent one of the pins in the USB socket on the ST-11000 tonight :-(

Cheers
Stuart

TrevorW
02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Stuart more pictures please I like the red :P:D

PRejto
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm a bit angry!!!! I paid for my mount in full back in March direct to SB.....now it seems that many of you that possibly ordered from dealers are getting the MX while I sit around and cannot get a word from SB. I'm happy for you guys, but not at all happy with SB.

rat156
02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi Peter,

It probably depends more on when you ordered. I ordered mine in February.

The advantage of ordering through OPT was that they didn't want a deposit or payment straight away as well as a slight discount.

I have to take one of the kids to Hockey, and the skies are clear tonight, but I don't think I'll be setting up as the serial numbers for the software didn't arrive (anyone want to share theirs?).

Maybe some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers
Stuart

cfranks
02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi Peter,

I don't doubt that yours will be along in the not too distant future. SB got behind alot so all the initial shipments were delayed. I got mine 2 days ago having ordered directly from SB in August 2010 but it was worth the wait. Hang in there! :)

Charles

rat156
04-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi All,

Got the PMX installed over the weekend.

Clouds rolled in Friday night, we won't see the sky for a few weeks now.

I have uploaded a page to my website on the PMX, I'll be adding to it as I get stuff done.

http://www.siriuscybernetics.org.au

Cheers
Stuart

gregbradley
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
It looks great.

Greg.

frolinmod
05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh noes, looks like too much scope for the mount. Looks like you're going to need an ME. :D

strongmanmike
06-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Lovely looking bit of kit there Stuart :thumbsup: you should seriously put the Alfa logo on it :)

Mike

Paul Haese
06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Looks lovely Stuart. I reckon the DSI scope looks very similar to the GSO RC12. Even the rings look the same.

rat156
06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I think the rings are generic ones, not sure if DSI supplied them as I bought the scope second hand.

Cheers
Stuart

PRejto
07-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm wondering how much you guys have been charged for shipping? I just got a bill from SB for $1,250 for shipping (which includes the MX, extra counter weight, shaft extension, and external power cable). I remember reading a post on the SB forum about cost to Australia and I thought it was about 50% of this amount. Could be wishful thinking on my part! At least I'm finally getting somewhere with this! I might cancel the counter weight if it's driving the shipping cost so much...

frolinmod
07-09-2011, 02:01 PM
That sounds about right if they're shipping via UPS or FedEx. I once priced shipping a Paramount GT-1100S (precursor to the Paramount ME) from California to Australia and that's about what it came out to at the time with two counterweights (same ones as used on the MX) included. That was in Australian currency, which at the time I think was worth a bit less than it is now. Mind you, the 1100S is heavier than either the MX or ME. It was over 70lbs just for the mount proper. When a box goes over 70lbs, they charge extra. You can go online and get shipping estimates from both UPS and FedEx just by entering box sizes and weights. My experience is that their estimates are always accurate to within a dollar or so. I think the trick is not to use UPS or FedEX, but instead another less expensive shipper. I ended up selling the mount to a guy in Arizona. Cost of shipping to there was negligible by comparison. Boy did that guy get a good deal too!

rat156
07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi Peter,

I paid US$597.36 for shipping via Allstates, very good shipper as well.

Then about $450 Aussie to get it through customs and about $850 for GST.

Make sure the customs clearance is in the $1200 your paying to SB.

Cheers
Stuart

PRejto
07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Stuart, would you please clarify this last statement? Are you talking about the $450 you paid? Are you saying the $450 should be included in the $1250 quote I got from SB? Confused. Also, I was under the impression that one had to pay GST on the entire amount including shipping, so how did you manage to only pay $850? (10% of $8,500) Many thanks!!

gregbradley
07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
$450 for customs clearance sounds like a lot. Why so much?

Did you use Allstates for that or someone else?

Greg.

rat156
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
The breakdown of charges from the customs clearance agent was...
Import terminal fee $65
Airline terminal fee $45
Air cargo automation fee $20
Airline documentation fee $50
Customs clearance $90
Cartage $75
Cartage fuel surcharge $9.75

These all are GST applicable, GST $35.48

Import GST $835.64
Customs electronic fee $55.20

Neither of these two attract GST

Total $1281.07

I paid the freight charges from US to Aus on another invoice.

Cheers
Stuart

PRejto
08-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Stuart, Thanks for all the details. I admit to being pretty ignorant about this sort of import. so.....

When you contracted Allstates to ship the mount did they also charge you for other costs you detailed re customs, or did you hire someone else (who?) to do the actual importing? Or does all of that happen when the mount shows up at custom. In other words, does Australian customs generate those charges? I'd really appreciate it if you would clarify this just a bit more for me!!!!
Thanks!!!!!

rat156
08-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi Peter,

I shipped through OPT. They organised Allstates to do the shipping. Then the Allstates representative in Aus contcated me to get the customs clearance payment and authority (to act on my behalf).

So I paid OPT for the scope, then OPT for the shipping (they would have forwarded this onto Allstates, then Allstates (in Aus) for the customs clearance and GST etc. as detailed above.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Stuart

cventer
20-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Wooohooo just been notified my PMX will arrive in country by Friday.

Yeah baby. I can wait, but learning curve is going to be huuuuuuuge!

gregbradley
20-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Good one Chris.

The ME was actually quite user friendly so apart from learning t-point which took a bit, the mount is very easy to use. MX appears to be almost identical just a bit smaller.

By the way I was most impressed with the ME last night. I am able to image 10 minutes with a 165mm lens unguided and get round stars. Fantastic performance.

Greg.

frolinmod
21-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Greg, only 165mm focal length? That's not very surprising. I think the ME can do way better than that.

Mighty_oz
21-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Put protrack on and u can get upto 20 min unguided with 100inches of focal length gear according to their site, so 10 min with 165mm is ... well ... u know ... kind of ordinary :) i shall now :scared3:

gregbradley
21-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Really?

I should try that.

I did turn Protrack on for some of the exposures. I had a few that were no good but it is probably cable drag or imbalance so I turned it off.

300mm F4 also looked good at 5 minutes. I may have done a 10 minute on that as well.

I wonder how big a T-point model you would need to do 100 inch focal length 20 minute exposures?

Greg.

Paul Haese
22-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Maybe 300-1000 points Greg, so I have read. There are a couple of threads on SB about the number of points.

cfranks
22-09-2011, 09:45 AM
First time with the MX last night and 90% was me trying to get talking to TheSkyX and T-Point. I only got about 10 points! so 300 - 1000 fills me with dread. :sadeyes: My problem of course, not the mount, I don't know 300 stars. :(
With my G11 and MaximDL/Maxpoint, after an initial 4 - 6 star alignment, I could select an automated run and the mount would slew all over the sky, taking images and plate solving, building the pointing model as it went. Is there a way that T-Point could do the same thing?

Charles

frolinmod
22-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes, the Tpoint Add On for TheSkyX can do automated calibration runs where it slews all over the place taking pictures and plate solving them. You only need to map six or so points manually (with some on each side of the meridian) before pointing gets good enough for plate solves to start working reliably so that you can do the rest with an automated calibration run. When I set my mount up, I first do six to twelve points manually (with some stars on each side of the meridian), then do a few short 25-30 point automated runs, tweaking polar alignment between each short run, then do my long automated run of 180 or more points once I have polar alignment good enough. Then I turn ProTrack on. Five minutes unguided at f/11 and 3911mm focal length (EdgeHD 14) with perfectly round stars is routine. Ten minutes unguided at the same focal length is achievable, but takes more time tweaking polar alignment. Certainly worth doing for a long term set up (in the backyard), but not usually worth the time at a remote site.

cfranks
22-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Ernie, if the wind drops, I will try it tonight. My setup is backyard on a 'naked' pier so I have to remove the OTA (DSI RC10C 1854 fl) at the end of each night plus the MX if there is going to be poor weather. The MX is able to be accurately relocated so I shouldn't need to do a heavy Polar Alignment each time.

Charles

cventer
22-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I would imaging if you take mount off and ota off the mount your T-point model would be invalidated. Especially related to the accuracy you need for unguided imaging. Anyone who has done this comment ?

frolinmod
22-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Rough alignment will hold with OTA and mount setup and teardown, but I wouldn't count on it holding well enough for astrophotography without at least a little tweaking each time you set up. Removing your OTA will certainly invalidate your Tpoint model every time. At the very least you're going to be wasting time doing an automated recalibration run at the start of each observing session.

Instead, I'd recommend purchasing a Telegizmos 365 cover for your mount and OTA and leaving them in place, removing them only during poor weather. Remove and pack up only the camera each night before covering the OTA end(s), inserting a plastic plug into the focuser and putting on the T365 cover. Then you won't have to do anything special most nights other then turn on the power, home and go. That's what I do.

gregbradley
22-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks Paul.

I turned on Protrack last night. I think it helped.

If you got Protrack working really well you could potentially do away with autoguiding.

Greg.

rat156
22-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Can you detail the T-Point polar align method?

I ran a couple of 20 point automated runs the other night, but the azimuth kept oscillating between 4 click East and 4 click West. I'm OK with doing the automated run, I just synced on one known star and let it go. What I'm unsure of is what do I have to do after adjusting the mount? I cleared the model, is this right?

Cheers
Stuart

Paul Haese
22-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Do this Stuart.

2 runs each doing 6-10 points in the same constellation (use a really small grouping of stars, don't go too wide as this causes problems and gives you the results you are getting). Use pinpoint, tpoint mapper, the sky and maxim. If you like go a third time and do the exact movement asked by tpoint. Then once you have the PA close and it will get pretty close, do a 50 point model. Remember each time to remove the previous model and insert a new one. Once you have done the 50 point model, then head off on the 250 to 300 point model. I am using a 180 point model and the pointing is around 10.3" from true.

Also make sure you have the correct time. Do an update on your internet time and that gets you close enough.

Paul Haese
22-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Don't clear the model, delete it from the sky Stuart.:)

Charles are you using the programes I have jsut mentioned? If not get them. It makes modelling and plate solving a breeze. Makes sure you get your scale pretty close. It does not have to be perfect but it must be close.

rat156
22-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks Paul.

I don't have pinpoint or t-point mapper, I have The Sky X and the T-point add-on maybe that's the same functionality? Will try this tonight if the wind drops a bit.

rat156
22-09-2011, 07:39 PM
How does one delete the model Paul?

Cheers
Stuart

Paul Haese
22-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Click on the model and then go up to edit and click delete.

I think you need pinpoint for automation and believe me it is worth the money. Don't try to do this manually. It takes too long and you cannot get it as accurate as automation.

rat156
22-09-2011, 08:36 PM
T-Point add-on for TSX has automation.

It is fantastic!

Do you add in the addition terms for the model?

Cheers
Stuart

Paul Haese
22-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes, I have 12 terms in all. That is 6 extras.

I don't think you can plate solve without pinpoint but the skyX might have pinpoint incorporated. Greg or Marcus would know.

Terry B
22-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I have the sky x pro without any of the add on extras and it can certainly plate solve. I haven't needed the extras yet but may get them.

gregbradley
22-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I use Automapper 11 and the Sky V6.0. Automapper 11 is free at newastronomypress - Ron Wodaski's site.

At first it did not plate solve. Marcus helped me there. I needed to add
a larger star database. USNO2.0 I think its called or something similar.

I then had to link that new database in the sky so it "knew" it was there.

Then automapper worked like a charm. With the fast downloading FLI camera (one of its endearing characteristics) I am able to slew, image and plate solve in 19 seconds per point. So in an hour I accumulate
about 180 or so points in the model.

You control the spread of points in automapper by adjusting the parameters of the number of points you want done and if any sections of the sky you don't want, minimum altitude etc.

I know Paul had a lot of trouble with the same setup so I don't know what the intricasies are. Perhaps it is to do with the linking and installing of the database of stars and making it active in the display explorer.

Basically when you zoom in far enough all these extra star become visible with their designations. Then you know its all setup properly.

You also need to set the north angle. The way I did this is to plate solve a saved image using CCDsoft under research. That then gives a north angle. You add this into the data needed for Automapper and off it goes. Without the north angle it fails. I assume north angle means how many degrees away from due north the image is.

Greg.

gregbradley
22-09-2011, 10:54 PM
A few points about t-point.

Its best to do it in one night. I am not sure if there is a rule that it must be but I've been told that and it seems reasonable.

If you adjust your mount according to the t-point polar alignment model you need to delete the model and start again after the adjustments.

Before you do the polar alignment model you need to delete outlier points in the model as per the tutorial. Otherwise you get a less accurate evaluation of your polar alignment.

I don't know if all this is now automated with the Sky X t-point.

Read the t-point tutorial as it is quite involved.

You add terms in a certain way and each must lower certain values otherwise you are not improving the model.

You had to have a certain number of points before you start adding terms. As I recall it was 50. If you want large numbers of extra terms you need a large model like 200 points. Again as I recall from the tutorial where it is all specified.

The first terms to try out are mentioned in the tutorial. I found these worked as per the tutorial.

The result is very accurate go-tos (mine aren't dead centre of the image but close to it and the object seems to be not far from the centre of the image of a 16803 camera chip at 2958mm focal length. I am sure I could get mine more accurate.

My polar alignment is very accurate (Around 30-40 arc seconds) but again I could tweak that last tiny bit I am sure. I get round stars at 2958 with PEC. Without PEC there is some minor elongation. I probably could tweak it so there is no star elongation without PEC. But that is a guesstimate.

When you do the PEC make sure you have the east-west button autodetect otherwise your PEC curve will be upside down and worsening not improving. That took me 3 months to spot!

Greg.

cfranks
22-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks Paul, I have them all except Tpoint mapper. I will look into getting it.
I did a Tpoint run tonight, purely for my education as it was (and still is) blowing realy hard and intermittently cloudy and it was impressive how soon the mount got slewing to a few arc mins of the target. Bodes well.

Charles

Paul Haese
23-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I tried all the things that Greg mentioned here, including linking and using the larger data base. I found using automapper II, with CCDsoft and the sky6 the plate solves were not accurate at all. It would often use only 6 or 10 stars to plate solve and only 50% of images solved. Those I suspected as being not accurate. I tried using this system for over a month (about 7 or 8 nights) with no success at all.

The first night I used Tpoin mapper with pinpoint and maxim it plate solved every image. I got my PA and pointing run done in 2 hours and have never looked back. I did not have to fiddle or check settings or anything, it just worked.

I put this down to a few things. Vista as the operating system might be part of the problem. Software bisque stuff has problems with certain operating systems as a rule. Check out all the questions on their forum about software not working. CCDsoft is just crap in my opinion, Maxim has more capture related features and a better plate solving system. While CCDsoft looks good in practice it does not work well at all. You can only setup 4 filters and the program does not immediately recognise which filter goes where. Maxim does. Also Automapper II is not as comprehensive as Tpoint Mapper. There are so many more features which make it infinitely better. Most people I know that have used CCDsoft with automapper II end up using the system I am using. I was told from a mate to use it from the start. Anyone who uses the system I am using never seems to have plate solving problems. Anyway make your own choice, I just felt everyone should know the frustrations that I had and how I ended up succeeding. I will not recommend something that I believe is substandard. I paid good money for CCDsoft and now cannot use it.

gregbradley
23-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Quite possibly the major reason it was difficult was Vista. I had trouble with virtually every single program I use with Vista. None of my camera, filter wheel drivers worked and they were always a fight to get them to install and operate. I am sure now Maxim has it sorted
but I bet when Vista was new it was a handfull as well.

CCDsoft is a bit dated and could do with a facelift. The 4 filter limitation for programmed exposures is my biggest constraint.
It also does not allow all features of your FLI camera to be used like the RBI annihilator and the download speeds.

It is handy though that it integrates well with the Sky and the Paramount. Its good if you got it for free - put it that way hehehe.

I only use it because I am familiar with it and it came with my first SBIG camera.

Maxim does seem the way to go though.

Greg.

pmrid
23-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi guys.
has anyone else had an opportuinity to set up their PMX to guide via the ST4 port on the VersaPlate.
I finally managed to get everything set up tonight and was ready to try a simple bit of PHD calibration.
I am using a QHY5 and piggy-backing a 480mm FL guidescope on top of the astrograph. Nothing particularly heroic.
PHD does not seem to be making much of an impact on TheSkyX though. On that TCS page which shows that little graphic of the guide relays down the bottom, they did show as activating but not the way you'd expect. hen PHD was doing West and East calibration steps, the graphics for the relays showed the west and south relays being acxtivated. SImilarly, then NS steps were happening, the Nand E relays showed as activating.
And also, PHD displays the distances it instructs the mount to travel (in the bottom bar) but on this occasion, it did not actually show any distance/correction numbers for each step - probably 1 on 5 or 6 more like.
And for every step PHD said it was doing, the relays did not activate. Rather, they too only activated every ten or so.
I'm stumped.
ANyone able to offer guidance.
Peter

nickbtx
24-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Hi Peter,
This sounds like the same problem I had, which was corrected with firmware (at least one other person had the same problem as well). Let Bisque know what you're seeing.
Nick

rat156
24-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Peter,

Mine don't seem to work.

I'm using direct guide from CCDSoft to guide the mount.

Cheers
Stuart

pmrid
24-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Stuart, at least you're getting TSX and CCDS to talk to ne-another.
I can't get TSX to bring up either a guide cam or an imaging cam. ANy ideas?
Peter

gregbradley
24-09-2011, 11:53 AM
If you are using CCDsoft set it to direct guide in the autoguiding dialogue box. It gets rid of a guide cable and per Bisque results in better guiding.

Its very convenient and a nice feature of the Bisque mounts. I am expecting my PMX in about 2 weeks time.

Greg.

frolinmod
25-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Pay no attention to anyone here who is running old software like TheSky6. Those guys are dinosaurs.

If your polar alignment is oscillating back and forth between Tpoint Add On runs, then instead of making the full adjustment, make only half or a little more than half the indicated adjustment each time. That way you can't overshoot. Once you get within an arc-minute of the pole in each axis, you can stop trying to get closer because when you're that close it gets very difficult to get closer without overshooting or wandering around like a random drunk walk.

Be sure you're re-synchronizing and starting a new model with each iteration. Go into TSX->telescope->bisque tcs->utilities, clear the synch history, then take a picture, image link, then sync on linked image. Then go into TSX->Telescope->Tpoint Add On->Tpoint Add On Settings->New to clear all the old data out before you start the next iteration. Collect at least 25-30 points, click on supermodel. Check and adjust polar alignment. Iterate. Good enough polar alignment takes three or four iterations. About an hour of work.

If you have an MX and can see the pole, then using a polar scope will get you closer faster. Alas, I have an ME and often can't see the pole area of the sky anyway, darn trees.

rat156
25-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Peter,

I visited the QHY site, there is an ASCOM driver for the camera. In CCDsoft you can connect to an ASCOM camera (I think). If you can get that working, just use direct guide.

Is anyone else having trouble with the SBSC? I can't seem to login anymore?

Cheers
Stuart

Mighty_oz
25-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Yep same here, just did a password reset and still can't login ! Also tried with Firefox and IE no go. Just sent them an email reply to the password reset as u need to login to post anything ! Duh ! Here's hoping.

frolinmod
26-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Just clear your cache and also all cookies for the bisque.com domain. It'll work fine after that (unless you've shot yourself in the foot with that password reset). Whatever they did on their end to cause this was not nice, but fortunately it's easily enough cleared out on our end.

PRejto
29-09-2011, 12:33 PM
My MX finally arrived 2 days ago. I saved some shipping costs by using a reshipper called MyUS.com in Florida, even after paying $200 to get the mount from Golden to Florida. DHL did a good job getting customs arranged very efficiently and quickly. The mount left Florida on the 22nd and was at my door on the morning of the 27th. All said and done I saved around $300 over the $1250 SB wanted to ship by UPS... I though I'd save more in fact but had not realized that the initial quotes on shipping cost from MyUS did not include insurance which added another $200 or so. Not sure I'd do it again for that savings, but I'm happy to have used DHL over UPS!

I can't resist posting these pictures.

The first shows the former director of the Kecks (and interim director of the Gemini telescopes), Fred Chaffee, looking at my Tec140 with obvious envy. The second photo is for laughs and shows my 5" f15 refractor on an obviously too short pier. Happy days.

frolinmod
29-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Forget about the MX; look at that gorgeous refractor!

cventer
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Seems like these Aussie deliveries have a curse.

I got my delivery notification Friday and MX was supposed to be delivered today. At 9am I thought I better check the delivery address as I had moved since I last ordered from Peter.

Turns out the shipment was to my old address. Despite 3 invoices to me from Peter I did not check the details or update the address. Anyway mad call to courier company, but by the time I called an attempted delivery had been made at my old address. Despite my pleading they would not deliver to my new addresss today even though it was less than 1km from the old address. They have delivery rescheduled to tomorrow now so yet another nights wait :(:(:(

Oh well I have waited this long.... just annoying as its my fault entirely. will post the obligatory pictures as i open it up and assemble.

cventer
04-10-2011, 05:54 PM
oh the joy continues.

5 calls to courier company today. They have now lost my 3 boxes containing pmx and accessories...and are still investigating.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2 :

Cant believe it. What a bunch of idiots....Patience is not a virtue of mine.

Mighty_oz
04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Wow :((((( Did u check the old address in case they left them there ?
We all feel for ya

cventer
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Yup checked old address. They assured me they would call back tonight and that people are there till 7pm etc...no call as per rest of the day

I call at 6:30 get the switchboard closed message. :mad2:

So now I call regional office number. Security guard answers. Tells me everyone leaves at 6. I ask him if a manager is about. He goes and looks. I finaly get onto head of customer service at 6:45. He looks into it calls me back tells me its likely in one of 7 semi trailers containing 7000 packages.:(

Now Im even more worried. Assures me with no basis to assure me that it will be found and delivered tomorrow.

Knowing your equipment is in country sitting in some depot while incompetant people dont do their jobs is driving me nuts....

Needless to say I had a few choice words to say to the customer service manager.

cventer
05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Good news. They found my packages today and offered to deliver them to me at work.

Not leaving anything to chance I told them to leave them right where they are and that i would go round and pick them up immediately myself from the depot.

Have the boxes in my car now and about to head home to open them. Feel like a Kid at Christmas......

gregbradley
05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Congrats Chris!

Looking forward to your impressions of the mount.

Mine will be on its way this week I hope.

Greg.

Mighty_oz
05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice hey :)
Now where are those pics :poke:

cventer
07-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Here are the obligatory unboxing pics and scope mounted.

Skies were cloudy of course and will be for next 3 days.

Still had a good play and got used to The Sky X. very cool new update to The Sky software. Configured the mount parameters for Southern Hemisphere. Set park position etc...

I then played around with the hand Controller/Joystick. This thing is awesome. So easy to use. You can configure the speeds in the software and being able to use a thumb joystick feels so natural.

I ended up popping an eyepiece into the scope and looked at the moon through faint cloud. Being able to move around moon with the joystick is so easy and feels right. I have not looked at moon for years. I had such a good time. This is an excellent addition for visual observing as well as easy centering/composition of objects.

The Mount is an incredible piece of work. Those with ME's know what I am talking about. Those who have never seen or touched a bisque mount have no idea. I own a G-11 , MI - 250 and this. The MX is a BIG step up.

Also want to thank Peter Ward at Atscope. Made buying this very easy, and took care of me on price and even absorbed extra customs and shipping cost that were unexpected. :thanx:

Still not finished configuring mount and teaching it the slew limits etc.

Job for tomorrow.

CDKPhil
07-10-2011, 07:02 PM
That looks like a great set up.
It still looks like December before I get mine though.

Just a little bit Jealous.:)
Phil

gregbradley
07-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Fantastic Chris. It looks like its going to make imaging a joy.

Greg.

frolinmod
07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
RC helicopter in the observatory? :D

cventer
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Its actually my garage that I cut a hole in the roof, so it does double duty as man cave, garage, observatory and toyshed.

DavidTrap
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Like the X-Cell Fury in background!

DT

cventer
07-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Close. Good pick on brand though. Its a X-Cell Stratus 90. Had Canopy custom painted.

pvelez
07-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I love that expression - man cave. Makes it sound so butch.

Reminds me of the old saying - A man without a shed is less of a man

Sadly, I have only a BBQ cover over my pier - is that a man brolly?

Pete

kimrichards
09-10-2011, 07:43 AM
For anyone who ordered thru OPT can you confirm that you had to pay extra for Sky-X and the T-Point and Camera add ons? Checking on their website it seems these are not included whereas direct from SB they are. Is there any other difference in the inclusions/accessories?
Thanks
Kim

gregbradley
09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Kim,

I ordered through OPT and I am expecting the software as its in the ad from Software Bisque what you get with a PMX. I'll double check but I am fully expecting the software.

Did others ordering through OPT get the software?

Greg.

cventer
09-10-2011, 01:31 PM
It will be included 100%.

The software is bundled into The SkyX CD you get with it. Its not mentioned but the card that comes with scope has licence keys for these add ons as well as The Sky X

kimrichards
09-10-2011, 02:14 PM
OK thanks for the info. Was just surprised OPT list it as an accessory (required). rgds Kim

frolinmod
09-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Absolutely, no matter who you purchase your mount from, you should receive license keys for all the same software as you would if you purchased your mount directly from Software Bisque. In fact, you have ALL the same rights and entitlements having purchased your mount from a dealer as you do if you had purchased your mount directly from Software Bisque. Once you have received your mount, go directly to the Software Bisque support forum on the Software Bisque website for support. It's a very good support forum and in any case, that's where they handle all their support.

When you get your Paramount MX, be sure to register ALL your license keys on the Software Bisque website. You'll then be allowed to download updates. Also download that firmware update and flash your mount if it's one of the few that came with original firmware.

I really don't understand why Software Bisque doesn't give Paramount ME and MX purchasers a Universal Subscription and call it a day. With a Universal Subscription you have one license key that activates (almost) all their software both current and legacy. It's much easier that way. It may even be less expensive in yearly subscription fees (but I don't know about that).