PDA

View Full Version here: : Borders books on ebay

UniPol
23-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Browsing for astronomy books on ebay this morning, I came across quite a few from "borders.australia". Checking "See other items", a figure of 5,037,561 items (inc. books & CD's) appeared. This equated to 100,753 pages at 50 items per page, truly an astronomical figure :eyepop:.

multiweb
23-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah BORDER's got a real bad deal. Their parent company (who bought them only a couple of years ago) did some bad investments and are dropping/cutting them down now to pay it off. All their major outlets closed. I think the only one still going (sort of) is in Bondi until they stop trading. They even sell the furniture and book stools when you walk in their Paramatta shop in Westfields. Shame...

mithrandir
23-06-2011, 09:42 PM
The administrator's plan was to close all but 9 of the Borders stores - most of them in Melbourne. Last I heard they could not get buyers for those 9 so they are closing them too.

Angus & Robertson have the same problem, but I haven't any details on whether some of them will survive.

Andrew

multiweb
23-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I had a chat last month with the manager at Parramatta Westfields and asked what was going on when I saw all the furniture for sale, if they had problems with the stores. He said they were doing quite well. It's just an exercise by the parent company to recoup some money. They probably got bought out when the aussie dollar was so low. That sucks. Used to go there a lot with my daughter. She's a bit of a bookworm.

DavidU
23-06-2011, 11:17 PM
A sad thing when book shops close. One can't rely on digital media.
A thousand years from now will digital media still exist?

OICURMT
23-06-2011, 11:47 PM
One could ask the same about books... What will replace both? "Direct neural insertion" perhaps?