PDA

View Full Version here: : Retirement of the LXD55 - New G11 Coming

midnight
21-06-2011, 05:03 PM
After many years of service, my LXD55 will be retired by months end. I have just ordered a G11 with Gemini 2 and this will arrive next week thanks to a colleague of mine returning from the US via Business class (60+kG allowance).

The Meade has been one of many frustrations yet once you know its inner workings, it worked very well for a mount that you can get for about $700. I have had some experience with the G11 recently and this is what sold me. The stability and simplicity of the mount structurally sold me. Although Gemini?? - mmm - I am going to miss Autostar.

The LXD55 was probably the mount Meade wanted to forget and quickly got replaced by the LXD75 which has a better bearing system. But this mount taught me a lot as I had to learn the hard way earlier. I eventually got autoguiding going, remote connection going etc, PEC and I managed to get some really nice tracking out of it. The only problem was the mount was very easily subject to vibrations and slight wind and a relatively noisy (tracking wise) motor system. And it was quite awkward to carry around.

I have had the LXD55 on the back of a trailer from Perth to Sydney (and back) through dust, rain, used it as an emergency shelter during one camping expedition (with tarp of course!), it's missing bolts, labels, dropped a few times and sunk once into mud etc but still works!

Fond memories of yee ol faithful.:(

cheers,
Darrin...

robz
21-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Congrats Darrin!:thumbsup:
Glad to hear you really got some use out of that mount. The G11 will take you to bliss!!!;)

TrevorW
22-06-2011, 08:18 PM
When you get the G11 join the Yahoo user group there are a number of software issues with it , recently there has been a beta firmware upgrade

midnight
24-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Will certainly do. I have been reading up about some alleged firmware issues and not so happy campers. Lucky I work with firmwares regularly in my industry so I hope to catch on quickly.

I have had the pleasure to have 2 nights experimenting recently with a colleague and as much as I love my mount, the two are in totally different leagues. I am really looking forward. I am happy that the investment won't go to waste because I now have a good feel on properly using a mount and getting the most of out.

I just hope the westie version of "El Nino" doesn't strike wave after wave with useless nights that we can get over here in winter. Although we really do need the rain over here after such a dry 2010 and then bugger all rain in summer and autumn.

Cheers,
Darrin...

Marke
24-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Lucky you , I am still waiting for them to come into the country so I can get mine - hopefully they are due in July.
The firmware I dont think is as big an issue as people make out , I think
its more about expectations and understanding than any actual problems.

icytailmark
24-06-2011, 06:30 PM
grats on the G11 with g2. I got mine in march this year and i wasnt happy with the G2 operation. However recently upgraded the firmware and now i can use the GOTO function. Its a fantastic solid mount that tracks well, even with my Celestron C14.

TrevorW
25-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Quite right, in fact after the initial frustration, I was using mine straight out of the box with Alignmaster for aligning then tracking using PHD, I think the issue was more a case of delivering the product as advertised