PDA

View Full Version here: : Norfolk Island

Louwai
19-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I just got back from a week on Norfolk Island. Awesome place. Highly recommended.
Before going I spoke to the local NI Tourist Office & asked if anyone on the island had a telescope.
They searched around & found a guy named Ray Sills. Ray very kindly offered me unlimited use of his 10" Dob while I was there.:eyepop:

Unfortunatly it was total coud cover for the whle week.:(

Certainly not wasted time tho.... Great place to relax & unwind.

PCH
19-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Brian,

I was there for 10 days or so a couple of years back, and thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility. There was a half hour clear spot on the very first night and I had the best of looks thru my binocs, - never seen such dark sky before.

But that was it for the whole time. Each night I waited, and waited and waited .... nothing.

But I loved the place though.

Cheers

koputai
19-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Sounds great.

The wife and I are booked in for a week on Lord howe Island in August.

I've spent a fair bit of time on islands in the Pacific, but the stargazing has never been good, I suspect due to high humidity. Maybe Lord Howe being at a more Southerly lattitude will be better? Maybe I should take the binocs?

Cheers,
Jason.

bloodhound31
20-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Last time I went there was aboard a RAAF Hercules. Fly boys let me take my big Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS telescope...couldn't believe that...

There for 5 days. Saw no sky. Allllllll cloud.

Rob_K
20-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Yep, small population and limited public lighting means virtually no light pollution on Norfolk Island. Haven't been to Lord Howe but it would be great there too I'd imagine. I was on NI last November and there were some fantastic skies! I spent several early mornings alone at the lookout on top of (windswept) Mt Pitt and it was glorious watching the heavens wheel across! Unfortunately my binoculars bit the dust early in the trip and I didn't have them when I most needed them.

Cheers -

Sarge
20-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Bryan,

Went there last year and was struck by the sheer beauty of the island. Every time you turned a corner its - "Wow look at that!" :2thumbs:

Unfortunately I only took my small binos 10 x 25, but even so the night sky is fantastic. With only one street light on the whole island it is almost a pure dark sky. :cool2:

With year round temps of high teens to high twenties, the friendliest people you could ever meet (every car driver waves as they pass) - its as close to perfect as you can get. :sunny:

I'm going back, soon.:cool:

Rod
:D:D

Jeffkop
20-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Was there for 2 weeks last September. All but 2 or 3 nights were crystal clear. Sky was amazing ... Norfolk was amazing ... absolutely. Would go back for some more of that lifestyle anytime I could ... We were not ready to leave at the end of our 2 weeks but of course, we had to !!!

Heres 2 very raw panos that bring back great memories.

Ric
21-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I haven't been there as yet but everyone I have spoken with cannot praise the place highly enough.

Definitely on my list of places to go and see.

jenchris
21-06-2011, 09:44 AM
It's very inexpensive to go at the moment - 700 for the week includes room, breakfasts, airfares and a free car hire.
You don't have to lock the car or even remove the keys!
A few sq miles of paradise! _ though the Fletchers and the Christians are sure fillers of the phone book.

Louwai
21-06-2011, 01:28 PM
We went on a CUDO Deal. 7 nights accomodation including daily breakfast + airport transfers + a half day island tour was $285 for 2 people.
We booked the flight through Qantas & used points.
The car was $35/day + fuel (fuel is $2.41 / L)
Only other cost was dinners & organised tours.

For 2 of us the week cost a total of $1325. That includes EVERYTHING. Spending money, & gifts. The lot.......

As has been said, it's a magnificent place. The speed limit island wide is 50klm/hr, you don't have to wear a seatbelt & the cows have right-of-way.
Everyone is extremely friendly & helpful. Some of the cliff-top homes have spectacular views.
Very much a place that I could see myslf loving. :)