PDA

View Full Version here: : Bosma 150mm Mak-Cass

MortonH
16-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Andrews has sold out of these. Anyone here using one? The Ioptron version and a UK version have been getting favourable reviews. Am curious about high-power planetary observing.

Regards

Morton

Waxing_Gibbous
16-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Morton,
I looked through the Altair Astro (UK) version and the Skywatcher 150 at Astrofest a couple of years back.
Optically they were about equal, though the Altair version was arguably "prettier" and came with a nice dew-shield.

MortonH
16-06-2011, 08:21 PM
They also have dual-speed focusers, which probably makes them unique among scopes that focus by moving the primary.

When you say they were "about equal", would you say one was better than the other?

Sylvain
16-06-2011, 08:40 PM
These are said to be good: it's your typical great value for money scope and I don't see a reason why one wouldn't be entirely satisfied with it!

Waxing_Gibbous
16-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd say any difference would come down to individual copies rather than the inate superiority of Bosma over Skywatcher or vice-versa.
I don't remember the Altair / Bosma having a 2-speed focuser, but that would certainly be a point in its favour

Nothing beats an I-M of course! :D

gb_astro
17-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Here's one from Cloudy Nights:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8/Number/3835279/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

gb.

MortonH
17-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Interesting, but jury still out. That's why I'd like to hear from local owners if possible.

Morton

Graham Beazley
17-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Morton.
I have had both the ioptron and skywatcher pro 6inch mak's.. the dual focuser on the ioptron one is a real bonus.. It takes longer to cool down than the skywatcher but when it has , in my opinion it is a clear winner that is why i sold the skywatcher and still have the other. It is better set up for photography with extra bits thrown in. The supplied dew shield is also a bonus.. so i think there is no contest.
cheers.
Graham.

MortonH
17-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Very interesting, Graham. I'm curious/concerned about the cool-down time. It's mentioned at lot in US forums but a lot of these guys are talking about taking the scope from a heated house out into the middle of a very cold winter. In Australia the temperature difference wouldn't be as much of an issue, but are we still talking 1-2 hours? What's your experience?

Regards

Morton

Graham Beazley
20-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Morton.
Im in Auckland, NZ so im aware of the difference in temps for you, i guess i would have a wider variation than you. My skywatcher pro 6inch mak was bought from Andrews in Sydney and the ioptron one i had sent straight from them in the USA.. Both are very good , the shywatcher cools down quicker , about 40min but that depends where it has been stored during the day and goes for the ioptron one as well.. i normally put it outside well before i am going to view..when mine has cooled down it gives stunning views..I just dont have a problem about waiting for it to cool down as it goes with the territory when you own any mak..
There was no doubt in my mind which is better, and i tested both these for about 6months so i sold the skywatcher and have not regretted that at all... i find the dual focuser a real bonus and have no desire to fit a crayford.. with the skywatcher it had mirror shift and required the crayford. I have not noticed much if any at all mirror shift on the ioptron.. The supplied dew sheild on the ioptron is also a real bonus, it is well made from alluminuim.. And ofcourse it is set up better for photography having the 2inch outlet and the extra bits supplied.
They are both good scopes but i just found the ioptron to be a better unit.
cheers.
Graham.

MortonH
20-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Spoke to Andrews today. They took so long to sell the very small quantity (2-3) of Bosma 150mm scopes they ordered that there are no immediate plans to re-order them, unless they get enough enquiries. Although they are now agents for Ioptron, this version would cost significantly more than the Bosma-branded one as it would be coming from the US instead of direct from the manufacturer. Bummer.

Graham Beazley
21-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Morton.
I guess you might have to go the skywatcher way then.. I believe the latest 6inch one has a 2inch outlet so that would help with photos etc.
Check with Luke at Andrews and he will put you right.
I think they sell a case, which you were wanting, for the 6inch one as well.
cheers.
Graham.