PDA

View Full Version here: : A Good Scheduler for Windows XP

PCH
16-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Guys,

does anyone know of a good scheduler (reminder for anniversaries, appointments etc) for use with Windows XP. I have the student version of MS Office 2007 but this edition doesn't come with Outlook unfortunately.

A free download would be best.

All replies and suggestions much appreciated. Cheers :thumbsup:

supernova1965
16-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Windows live mail has all that Outlook has and it's free

tlgerdes
16-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Zimbra desktop. Email, Calendar, address, book, tasks
www.zimbra.com

PCH
16-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey Warren,

10 out of 10 for speed and usefulness of reply. Thanks pal, it's downloading as we type. Have a great day :thumbsup:

Cheers

PCH
16-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks Trevor,

great suggestions thanks. My needs are quite simple, so I'm giving Warren's suggestion of Windows Live Mail a go first.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, and have a great day :thumbsup:

Cheers

PCH
16-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Trevor,

well despite inital hope, it didn't work out with Windows Live Mail. With this, you don't get a reminder pop-up event unless you log into their mail program actually on the day in question.

What I'd like is a pop-up reminder (birthday, appointment etc) that just comes up on my screen regardless of whether or not I have a mail program open,

Trevor, would you know if your suggested program, Zimbra, can do this?

Or any other suggestions anyone?

Cheers

RickS
16-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Zimbra will pop up a reminder so long as it is running, same as Outlook... In both cases you do have to have "a mail program open". You don't need to have a working Internet connection or a connection to an email server to get reminders, if that's what you meant.

Cheers,
Rick.

tlgerdes
16-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Any program is going to need to be running for it popup and reminder you to do do something, whether that is a foreground or background task is application dependant.

I just have my Zimbra client running 24/7 on my PC, but then again I live to be connected :question: :lol:
Zimbra I find is nice as it is developing into an information portal, it already has Facebook and Twitter plugins and more of those sort interactions are being built.

PCH
16-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi All,

thanks so much to those who spent time offering suggestions.

In the end, I found that Firefox has a calender/scheduler called Firefox Reminder.

It seems to do exactly what I had i mind - so far. But like other progs, you do have to have firefox running.

Thanks again all.

Cheers :thumbsup: