PDA

View Full Version here: : Neutron Stars -Made of What ?

CraigS
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I was reading this article the other day ..

Physicists hit on mathematical description of superfluid dynamics (http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-physicists-mathematical-description-superfluid-dynamics.html)

Its mainly about modelling of superfluids (liquid He-4 at close to absolute zero temperatures) .. which is interesting from a Chaos/Complexity Theory perspective, but it also contains these (more interesting ?) words …

Fascinating …

I don't think I've ever seen any scientist just blurt out words describing the surface composition of neutron stars in such an off-hand way !

I also found the description of the vortices in the surface concoction intriguing !

Certainly makes one imagine what might be going on with Pulsars/Neutrons when one has some kind of description of the composition of these things !

Cheers

renormalised
11-06-2011, 02:10 PM
What's more, these superfluid vortices are anchored to the crust of the pulsar/neutron star. It's when these vortices detach themselves from the crust that the starquakes occur in the body of the star. The crust basically ruptures and superfluid streams out of the crack until it heals itself.

They've known about the composition and internal structure of pulsars/neutrons stars for quite some time.