PDA

View Full Version here: : The Apple Virus

Tandum
11-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Well it has taken a while, but Apple is finally being targeted by the virus makers. Is that a sign that they are selling some stuff? It seems they where in denial for a bit and refused to acknowledge the fact but they finally released a fix which the hackers side stepped in under a day. Looks like Apple is the new virus ridden platform of choice :)

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21795

Steffen
11-06-2011, 03:23 AM
The collective sigh of relief from the Windows using world is very amusing, but nothing has changed. If an email can convince people to stick their hand in the blender (or take their Mac to the shower for a steam clean (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=76758)) then there isn't a lot Apple can do about that. This contrasts sharply with the way Windows PCs fall victim to malware attacks.

Cheers
Steffen.

Tandum
11-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Steffen, I take it you didn't read the article. This particular malware has been attacking windows for ages and simply asks the user for a visa number to remove the infections it has introduced.

Now Apples got it :D

Steffen
11-06-2011, 03:46 AM
No it doesn't. It pretends to be an anti-malware tool (every Mac user's alarm bells should be ringing by now) and then requires the user to provide an administrator password in order to get installed on the Mac – something the article "forgot" to mention. What it then installs is of course no anti-malware tool…

It does not somehow "infect" the computer, it get's installed by the user who steps through the application installer and provides admin credentials when asked.

You shouldn't pay too much attention to the tech tabloids, there is real information out there for those who want it.

Cheers
Steffen.

Tandum
11-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Whatever you recon Steffen. Windows should also ask for escalation to admin to install something, however, I remove this thing weekly from windows machines and none of them remember clicking the go button. It normally comes in via the web and installs in the users profile. Personally I don't give a rats, I hate all operating systems equally......

Steffen
11-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Heh, I'd care less if it was the madonna, but that's just me ;)

I have in fact been on a crusade for years against bad security practices on OS X, such as the defaults of having Safari open presumably "safe" files, or giving the first (and often only) user account administrator privileges. Without those two stupid defaults MacDefender wouldn't get a foot in the door.

Cheers
Steffen.

Tandum
11-06-2011, 04:56 AM
From what I see it runs as a user and doesn't need admin rights at all. It tells them they are infected and asks for cash. Once it is in, it tries to download crap but in my experience if the antivirus is up to date that crap is removed. Of course it is not a virus, it is an app, so it is not removed by the AV.

There is always a way around any walls you put up.

supernova1965
11-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Sorry Robin but your glee at the supposed massive vulnerability of the MAC OS is starting to sound like you have shares in Microsoft all I am saying is to say that MAC OS is as ricketity as Microsoft's Security is a long bow to pull.

Yes it runs as a user and doesn't need admin rights unless you count the fact that the user needs to actually enable it and APPLE cant be held responsible for the user not thinking before they hit the ok button (if they took away too much choice from the user they would be attacked for taking too much freedom from the user) anything that is asking for Credit Card details without being initiated by the user should be enough to give pause to anyone.

I am a big fan of Windows 7 but not of Microsoft's care and concern for its customers it took them ages to realise that they shouldn't be selling security solutions for the OS (ONE CARE) but should have it built in or atleast supplied free (MSE). I am not into leaning massively to one side or the other I prefer the Middle Path to enlightenment. But I also don't let myself be dragged into supporting one brand over another blindly. Except maybe in the case of HOLDEN v FORD but even there the head says they are almost identical but the HEART SCREAMS HOLDEN:P:rofl:.

And if you fall back to the I didn't read the article defence I have read the others you linked to previously but not this one as I believe that most media tend to beat up a story and can make anything look like whatever they want you just have to look at the recent media concerning the Solar flare LOOK OUT NASA warns there will massive disruptions but when you go to the NASA story it says they haven't seen anything like it since 2005 hardly out of the average persons memory.

Your post does not give this impression and the amount of smilie faces shown at the fact that MAC OS has got this infection belies your above statement

tlgerdes
11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I think what Robin is more point out, is what i pointed out weeks ago, that Mac OSX is now an active target on the Malware hit list.

If I was a malicous malware writer looking for econmic gain, when OSX made up 1% of market, and was quite hard to crack, why would I spend my time chasing it. Windows was an easier more profitable target.

Now that OSX makes up around 6% of the market, and that Mac users tend to be more affluent than PC users, without being more careful or savvy (often the opposite) about computer security, the Malware writers are now investing significant resources to compromise this market.

To them it is about return on investment. Mac OSX might be more secure, but peoples usage of it is still insecure so they are vulnerable. Self replicating viruses are largely a thing of the past, it is now about social engineering, encouraging you to do the hard dirty work.

TrevorW
12-06-2011, 06:03 PM
If it's an Apple it probably got a worm

supernova1965
12-06-2011, 06:33 PM
As Ugly Dave Gray would say

BOOM BOOM

marki
12-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Who cares if it is real or not, read the comments below the article it's bloody hilarious (apple fanboys beware).

Mark

Analog6
15-06-2011, 06:39 AM
It's not a virus, it's a Trojan, you have to invite it. Careful email practices (whatever your platform) will ensure you don't get 'enjoy' a wild ride on the Trojan horses.

stephenb
16-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm entertained by the volley of comments below this article in Daily Tech :lol:

tlgerdes
16-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I especially like this one
"I've never heard of someone getting laid because they bought an Apple "
:D:D:lol::rofl:

Maybe Omaroo can answer that?:question: