PDA

View Full Version here: : I Hate Newcastle Skies

strongmanmike
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Following on from Houghys thread...allow me to rant

I was all excited again last nightt (9 June), all looked good on the reports all day, even organised an RDO for today to recover :)...but no sooner had I spent an hour setting up and started taking my first focus images when the clouds came in :sadeyes:. I waited, cussed and ranted and screamed...but they remained. The cloud looked a little ominous coming south from Charlestown way so I sadly and scaredly made the decission to pack up...no sooner had I packed everything up when the clouds completely disipated and the sky was crystal clear :shrug:......not prepaired to be dissapointed again after another hours setup, I went home anyway :(

Fairdinkum...after narrowly missing rain after a predicted perfect sky last week and now this...I give up on Newie skies, without an observatory it is just too unpredictable and risky with a complex kit...I'm going back to Kurrir Kurri asap, this never happened out there :shrug:

I hate Newcastle skies :mad2:

...aaahhh that feels better thanks :)

multiweb
10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Next time you want to go out drop me a line. I know the weather fairy (http://www.astropic.net/weather/). Personally. No bull. Ask Trevor Gerdes. :P

strongmanmike
10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Meeeeah! even that site fails here, it is about 90% accurate for my dark site (Kurri Kurri 45min west of Newcastle ) but not so for Newcastle city :doh:

multiweb
10-06-2011, 04:41 PM
This year I got 100% rate. I didn't drive anywhere or go out without having imaged what I needed to. I'm getting pretty good at getting a feel for what's coming and where it's going. As far as Newcastle goes you need to move. :P

tlgerdes
10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Honest, Marc knows the weather fairy. You can slip a $100 to her via Marc to guarentee a favourable hearing on your requirements.;):rofl:

tlgerdes
10-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah Mike, you can move to Sydney.:rofl:

At least then you can attend our meetings and impart your wisdom in person :question:

DavidU
10-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Move to Melbourne Mike:lol:

allan gould
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Mike
Crap weather in Newcastle?
My ex-wife now lives in Newcastle.
You are welcome to both of them.
But remember only one of them eventually improves.

h0ughy
10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
yes it is a bit of a challenge here - thats why i love Astrofest......and all the gear i take......

mozzie
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
just come in after clouded out,amazing how quick it rolls in.the forecast isn't good for the next few days :(:( let's hope it clears for the eclipse..

h0ughy
10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
so do i - otherwise might have to chase some clear skies

strongmanmike
10-06-2011, 08:54 PM
:lol: :scared:

marc4darkskies
10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh stop your whining and man up!! :lol:

It's no better in Sydney ya know - the clouds play tag with me all the time! The only diff is it only takes me 10 minutes to set up :rofl:

:lol::lol::lol::rofl:

strongmanmike
10-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Don't you mean "to switch on" :rolleyes:...and that 10min would include, jug boiling time and stopping to pat the cat and take in the sky :rolleyes:

:mad2:...hormones :sadeyes:

Paul Haese
12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Man, at least you have made an image in the last 3 months. On the 4 nights since March I have been sorting out the pointing on my mount. Now that I got that sorted, the last 3 nights that I drove down the house, it starts of ok but then clouds up and then gives me a sucker hole for 20 minutes. Now the moon is getting more full and of course the skies are clearer at night. Well at least it will be ok for the eclipse.

strongmanmike
12-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Yeh I know, I'm not the first nor will I be the last to be TOTALLY OFF at the weather :scared:...of course you Obs/PME etc guys don't have to set a whole complex imaging kit up each time either though :rolleyes:

Ah well...se la vi :thumbsup:

Mike

Paul Haese
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
You could have had a PME mate but you bought that carbon fibre monster instead.:P You could do narrow band from Newcastle too. Maybe get some 3nm narrow band filters and then put a pier in the ground and well you know the story from there.:P

ving
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
awww want a nice tall glass on concrete? ;)

just kidding :p

AstroFlyer
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
What's "Newcastle Skies"?!
Is it that stuff behind the clouds?
Seen it once... I think...

marki
12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Well Mike all I can say is you may as well send all that useless gear over to WA where at least it will see some photons and take up knitting for a hobby instead. I will give $5.00 for the lot but you will have to pay for the freight :P:D :scared3:

Mark

alan meehan
12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I must agree with you Mike its getting a bit boring night after night of rain or cloud we have too get some clear weather soon OH well back to more repros :bashcomp::P
AL