PDA

View Full Version here: : Some Beautiful Colours of the Top End

leon
08-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi Guys, Tomorrow we end up in Darwin, seems a bit disappointing that all the cruising is over for a while, :sadeyes: I did enjoy driving all these roads.:thumbsup:

Anyway we will be staying in an around the Darwin area, and the top end for about 12 weeks, I'm sure there will be heaps to do.:D:D after taht probably toward Alice Springs, not sure. :shrug: :lol:

So I have put a couple of pics together of the last few places we passed through and/or stopped at.

Some of the colours are just magic, :eyepop: see if you agree, enjoy ;)

Leon :thumbsup:

Octane
08-06-2011, 07:38 PM
More images like #4, Leon, please! Fantastic!

I'm so pleased to see you taking photos in the golden hour. :)

Enjoy, mate.

H

oosh
08-06-2011, 07:46 PM
All really nice images Leon, I really like #2 - very well seen :)

leon
08-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Many thanks H, and Jason, there is so much beauty out here one could photograph non stop.

Your right H, there are certain times in the day that are just right.;)

tlgerdes
08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Darwin Trailer Boat Club - Fannie Bay.:thumbsup:

dugnsuz
08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Very nice pics leon - No.5...watch out for crocs! Or maybe they should watch out for you!!

Jules76
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Great pics! I lived in Darwin for a couple of years, can't say I miss the weather! But the scenery is fantastic, the sunsets are something to behold (head down to the Casuarina Markets just on the beach at sunset) and the tropical storms are fantastic (loved the sheet lightning across the clouds). I should really go back someday.

If you are heading down to Alice Springs, I'd highly recommend dropping into Mataranka, it's about 100km's south of Katherine along the Sturt Highway. It's got some beautiful and relaxing natural thermal pools situated next to some camp grounds. Well worth the visit.

http://www.ourterritory.com/katherine_region/mataranka.htm

Liz
08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow, bful images of our bful country. Thankyou Leon. :thumbsup:

leon
08-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Thank You people, :thumbsup: we enjoyed all these lovely spots, Lark Argyle was really special.:eyepop:
Hey Doug, mate, I'm in their new pool, :D very impressive, ;) no Crocks in there mate, it is to far up the mountain side.:lol: :lol:

gary
08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Leon,

Thanks for sharing the photos of your road trip.

You still of course have the beauty of Kakadu to look forward to and it is arguably
Australia's answer to the Serengeti. The bird life alone is staggering.

If you have trekked via Hwy 1 through Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek and via Kunnurra
and if time and budget allow, may I recommend you consider leaving the caravan
behind for a while and if the vehicle you have is a little large, consider renting
a high-clearance 4WD out of Darwin, packing the tent or the swags and back-tracking
along the Gibb River Rd with a possible detour up to the Mitchell Plateau?

If you have not yet had the opportunity of traveling through the Kimberley via the
Gibb River Rd, I wholeheartedly recommend it and you will not be disappointed.
The scenery is awesome and there are so many beautiful gorges to cool off in it
is not funny.

I have been fortunate enough to see a reasonable bit of the world and not only would I rate
that corner of the Kimberley as probably the best scenery in Australia, it is right up
there with the very best I have seen anywhere on the planet. :thumbsup:

Depending upon the previous wet season and whether it has been graded
can make a lot of difference to the Gibb River Rd. In any case, it
tends to be a dusty, corrugated run with the occasional large
jutting rock or washout. So something with good suspension and good
clearance like a Land Cruiser or just a 4WD Hilux is the go. With so many people
traveling it these days, you may well find that they are maintaining the road
more so than in the past. Definitely pack the jerry can as fuel stops are
few and far between.

Likewise, if you by-passed the Bungle Bungles, it is another compelling side-trip
and I believe the access road in has been greatly improved, but you will
definitely want 4WD.

Anyway, if you didn't get to come via the Gibb River Rd or see the Bungle Bungles
on this trip and your schedule won't allow you to backtrack, then they will
always been there for the next trip! :thumbsup:

Which ever way you go, enjoy it! :hi:

Ric
08-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Wonderful images Leon.

You are definitely in a fantastic part of this country.

leon
09-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Thank You Gary for your suggestions, we have not made any definite plans as yet for our next adventure but your suggestions sound very inviting.

And Ric, your right mate it is awesome up this end of the land.

Leon