PDA

View Full Version here: : Not another Windows !!!

Tandum
07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Yes, Windows 8 is coming. Looks a lot like it should be on a tablet or a phone.

Here's a UTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I)on it.

allan gould
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Far more user friendly than 7 - a real challenge to apple

oosh
07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I actually quite like Win 7.. I skipped Vista completely though. Judging by the video it looks a little too "showy" for me, I like 7 so I can have a couple of dozen programs running without an issue.

DJDD
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
nice... :thumbsup:

renormalised
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Hardly...I wonder how many bugs are going to be in the release candidate for this OS that users will run into and how much memory this new version is going to hog....like all previous versions of Windoze. The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stuff up.

Looks pretty....that's all.

toc
09-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Actually Windows 7 is a lot more efficient at memory handling than XP was. All the new UI elements did use up more memory, but that is the case for any OS. (Mac OS, Linux etc...)

oosh
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I've had 7 on my system for well over a year which gets alot of heavy use and alot of data pushed through it, and haven't had a single issue with the OS.. at all.. even if I tried to think of one. I came straight from XP which also ran very well for me, but not as well as 7 does.

toc
09-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Ive had the same experience - I had Vista before that, and never had an issue with either :)

This article is a good explanation of Windows 7's memory handling:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/behind-the-windows-7-memory-usage-scaremongering.ars

issdaol
09-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Every version of windows has been full of significant bugs and shortcomings. It is always saved by the GUI and breadth of general purpose apps available.

Even the multitasking has been horrendous when compared to other multitasking OS's. Even the pre-2000 versions of OS/2 handled multitasking better than prior versions of Windows.

Maybe Windows 8 will prove to be better than all the prior releases but they are starting to get some tough competition arriving nowdays.

toc
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I think you being a bit harsh on Microsoft :)

Windows 7 was not full of bugs - I had no problems with it from day one. Even the much abused Vista wss stable from the get go.

Multi tasking on pre-NT (windows 3.x, windows 95 etc...) windows sucked, thats for sure, no argument there, but It largely sucked on other OS's as well - MAC OS 7/8/9, Amiga etc...

OS/2 was great, but no one used it :)

jenchris
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Vista being stable was fine, any platform is stable if you can't put anything on it - There wasn't one software version from my external hardware that would be accepted - I had to wait for updates from the respective companies to address the problems.

koputai
10-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I've just bought a new PC (my first new desktop in 8 years!) and it has Windows 7 64bit. So far it's been great, only a few old 16 bit apps that won't run natively. However, that has been taken care of by installing Microsoft's XP 32bit virtual machine which runs as an rdp. Pretty spiffy solution to running old out of date apps, free and easy.

Cheers,
Jason.

mithrandir
10-06-2011, 11:06 AM
It is impossible to be too hard on M$ and their virus hosting environment called Windows - any version.

SWMBO has Win7 Pro 64bit on her new toy and that was a hard enough transition from XP Pro, since she runs software that is not Win7 compatible and has to deal with XP Mode. Some of the M$ and NVidia fixes must have worked since she has not complained about it blue screening for a couple of weeks.

We got a lot of use out of OS/2, until IBM stopped work on it. I still have my Warp Server CDs around somewhere.

Jeffkop
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I dont know about you but theres a lot going to have to change ergonomically for touchscreen to be usefull to me. I mean right now as I sit here my screen is at more than an arms length away and a real stretch to get to the top of it. Your screen is going to have to be too close to comfortably view to have easy access to touch it.

I think its a good while before anything replaces the mouse for pc operations ... especially if you use it for design work.

Octane
10-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Haven't had a single crash in over a year on Windows 7.

Though, I must admit, I'm an OS X convert. :)

H

supernova1965
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I have to agree Win7 is the best OS microsoft have ever released I just want one improvement I want them to do a root partition and a home partition like they do with Linux so when you want/have to reinstall windows all your Programs and Files are unaffected

stephenb
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I've always been an XP user and never had an issue, although I have noticed that in recent times it started to get slower (more the fault of the machine and applications demanding more?) I was very reluctant to move to 7 only because I was so comfortable with XP, but I did make the switch to 7 64bit, and haven't looked back. Runs without a single hitch! I have sometimes over a dozen applications and windows open, plus downloading, plus burning discs all at once. Admittedly, I did build up a new pc so the specs are as good as I can get in this current day. I do like how you can "snap" the windows to the sides and top of the screen.

iceman
10-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I think Win7 is really good. Has a lot of "Mac" like features, but it's single-search box still isn't as good as the Mac.

jenchris
10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Jeff's right - Acad would be a ***** with a touch screen and no mouse!!
You'd have to have one screen for the keyboard and a second one for the drawing - which kinda negates the relevance

tlgerdes
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
The only thing I dont like about Windows 7....... is the fact that it is Windows 9.:screwy:

And that's not including NT variants.

Polmear
10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Win 7 is fine. Mac OS works well. Even Win2K has its place. I think we're all mature enough not to suffer sleepless nights because the next version of an operating system is at some stage of development. Then again, I'm sure it will be very slick and that's important to some people.

ballaratdragons
10-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I won't be in a hurry to upgrade all my computers from XP. It works fine on all my computers for what I use them for :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :thumbsup:

Tandum
10-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Forget windows 8, Duke Nukem Forever (http://www.dukenukemforever.com/full/us/) was released via steam today, 12 years late and a 5 gig download :rofl:

But if you must watch windows, here is a long (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnEndww2YQ) and boring demo on utube.

higginsdj
11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I find it interesting how 'similar' this is to the new Mac OSX Lion OS features being released next month......

Cheers

David

DJDD
11-06-2011, 10:53 AM
i have become bored with the whole desktop/icon thing so Windows 8 is like a breath of fresh air. :thumbsup:

what i liked about windows mobile 7 and windows 8 is the tile system. as long as the weather is puled from BOM not some dodgy service then all is good.

i have an android and used an iphone/ipad/itouch and get sick of the clutter of icons. tiles serve a similar purpose but with expanded funcionality and i like the look.

not sure it looks like OSX Lion- that just looks like a different layout of icons again. :shrug:

OICURMT
11-06-2011, 11:06 AM
hmmm.... I don't think my scope will be able to keep up and slew that fast... :P