PDA

View Full Version here: : "Chroma" - the Royal Ballet dances to the White Stripes... amazing :)

Omaroo
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
The Royal Ballet at its insane best. Wayne McGregor's "Chroma" - set to re-arranged and orchestrated White Stripes sound. Unbelievable - I'd love to see this if it were ever brought to Australia. Crank it up and put your headphones on - this is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58KwnS34rAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HAoDB-jv0

Waxing_Gibbous
04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Styalistically not my cup of tea, but the expertise and athleticism IS remarkable.

Omaroo
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
It's certainly not what you'd expect from the Royal, is it. I'm not a ballet goer, per se, but I'd go and see this for sure. Laura is ... well... Hmmmm.... :)

Barrykgerdes
04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm afraid that's not my cup of tea. I love the traditional ballet but not those types of sketches.

Barry

Omaroo
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
That's pretty harsh I think Barry - "sketch"? LOL! It's a different style, yes, but it's fantastic in its own right as interpretive dance performed by a few of the best in the world. It's won, along with Wayne McGregor, a fair number of awards, so I think that it stands on its own. There's room for all kinds of dance - and even from the establishment. We're all opinionated, but that's only my opinion. :)

2010: Critics Circle National Dance Award for Infra (Best Choreography - Classical)
2009: International Theatre Institute's Excellence In International Dance
2009: Ballet Tanz's Choreographer Of The Year
2009: Movimentos Award for Entity
2008: South Bank Show Award for Entity and Infra
2008: Benois De La Dance Award for Infra
2007: Critics Circle National Dance Award for Chroma (Best Choreography – Classical)
2007: Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Dance Production for Chroma
2007: South Bank Show Awardfor The Royal Ballet triple bill which featured Chroma
2003: Time Out Live Awards Outstanding Choreography
2001: Time Out Live Awards Outstanding Achievement in Dance Award

jjjnettie
04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Stunning!

renormalised
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Very interesting...although I'm no ballet goer.

I feel sorry for them, actually, especially the girls. They're going to end up with awful arthritis in their legs and back later on in their lives, if they're unlucky. They put their legs and back under a lot of stress.

Yep, I would like to see "more'a" of Laura Morera:):)

renormalised
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyway, Laura is Spanish born, 34, and is married to an Aussie ballet dancer who was a Royal Ballet first soloist:)

Omaroo
04-06-2011, 08:19 PM
What amazing physiques these people have. Delicate, and yet bullish-strong at the same time. Don't know about permanent damage - I guess a few suffer into their old age with creaks and groans, but you see people like Dame Margot Fonteyn who were graceful to the last.

Nice eh Carl! :)

renormalised
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
They look graceful, Chris, but I can tell you from experience (old RL/RU player) they hide their pain well. You can suffer from bad arthritis and not look any the worse for wear. Try getting up in the morning with it and you'll know what I mean!!. Some might never get it, and they're lucky. But most will end up with it to various degrees. There are quite a few types of arthritis that make up either osteo or rheumatoid and they can hit you in all sorts of ways.

Laura....yum:):)

Barrykgerdes
04-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi Chris

Some like this type of dance some don't I just don't. As I said I love the traditional classic ballet not that type. However I accept it as a well recognised dance form.

I have been closely involved with ballet dancing for years. My grandaughter was accepted into the Australian ballet school but gave it away to study nursing. Elva's grandaughter was offered a place in the Royal ballet school after attending the summer school twice but prefered jazz ballet. The amount of dedication and training is too much for most. Both of them won every competition they entered.

Barry

M54
05-06-2011, 12:12 AM
The ballet and music looks and sounds great!

Has anyone heard of Chunky Move? They're an Australian contemporary dance company.

You may enjoy this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc83SMKGjPY&feature=related

Waxing_Gibbous
06-06-2011, 04:37 AM
I dated a Ballerina once.
She had HORRIBLE feet.
She knew her way around the Tango tho'!