PDA

View Full Version here: : Looking for Adapter then here is a recommendation

Paul Haese
03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

fitting a CCD to a telescope can be a bit daunting, especially if you are trying to fit one to a Tak scope or part. Twice now I have used a firm called Precise Parts in the States and twice they have got the job done quickly and more importantly correctly.

My recent part I had made is to mate the reducer for the TSA tak to the QSI. See the images.

I drove down to the obs this morning and fitted it and what can I say it just fits perfectly. I need to do a field test image but I am sure it is like the other part they made for me so I could use the flattener. Everything they make is just great and suitable for use straight away. Don't bother with buying Tak parts just get them to make the correct adapter.

Great service, and an easy to use website too.

renormalised
03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Looks good...doesn't look like it'll take up too much back focus either.

Paul Haese
03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Carl the metal back distance for reducer is around 86mm, so the adapter is deigned to be sum of that distance minus the back focus in the camera. I think the focus as currently set in the image will go in a lot more yet.

ballaratdragons
03-06-2011, 06:20 PM
As far as I know, Luke at Starstuff here in Australia also makes precision parts and adaptors to order :thumbsup:

http://www.starstuff.com.au/index.html

He has some adaptors already in stock.

http://www.starstuff.com.au/home5.html

Paul Haese
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
That was not my intention here Ken. Meaning I was not asking for people to recommend manufacturers here in Australia. I was recommending Precise Parts in the US for adapters. I wanted to let people know that I had good service from them and their products are what I wanted.

Doomsayer
04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I concur Paul. I have been using Precise Parts for custom adapters, collars etc for years now. Some of the parts I have had made have not been straight forward at all. Although I have some machining skills, making fine threads has never been my strong point for example. I'd estimate I have had well over 50 items made by them and all were to spec and service has been first rate.

There are plenty of great engineering shops out there that can do the same thing or much more and likely for less cost but I think Precise Parts have the edge because of their understanding of the needs of this crazy hobby (?) we have :screwy:. Other people no doubt have had similar experiences with other service providers out there.

g

sadia
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I found their custom adapter builder UI very helpful http://www.preciseparts.com/ppmain/adapter.html.

This type of user friendly service is quite rare in my opinion, when we are talking about telescope adapters.

DavidTrap
04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
+1 for Precise Parts - their website is amazing!!! I have had a couple of adapters made by them and they just work.

They deserve credit for having done all the homework about what threads are on thousands of different parts and working out how to mate all of these things together. To be able to specify the length of an adapter which allows for the length of YOUR optical system is brilliant - ie. you can allow for the change in the optical path due to filter thickness and vary the effective length of the adapter.

Have a look at their website and see for yourself.

DT