PDA

View Full Version here: : NASA just threw their weight behind astrology:

overlord
02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/Citations.aspx?id=330

Well I hate to say I told ya so but I was lampooned on here so here is an article backing up some of what i was saying: :thumbsup::eyepop:

http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/Citations.aspx?id=330

Full PDF. Essential reading for all real scientists! :eyepop: :thumbsup:

The science of 10,000 years appears to be somewhat vindicated. :welcome:

Octane
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Not once, anywhere, in that article does it mention the word "astrology".

The subject terms even reference solar flares, solar activities and the sunspot cycle. Not astrology.

If the article or findings had /anything/ to do with astrology, it would have at least been mentioned in a footnote or a conclusion. Not once was the word or the pseudoscience mentioned.

Science has been vindicated, not astrology.

H

asimov
02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
As Humayun said.

ballaratdragons
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Chucky, you seem to be slightly confused about terminology.
Almost everything you support that you title 'Astrology' is actually just Astrophysics.

Don't confuse the two. One is real and the other belongs down the Rabbit hole with Alice.

Rob_K
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Yep, planets influence solar storms, therefore 1/12 of the world's humans will find love today, or be run over by a vegetable truck, or....

:lol:

Cheers -

CraigS
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Methinks we're about to witness the age-old art of 'cherry-picking' from mainstream science, as a means of justifying pseudoscience.

One of these days we might see pseudoscience stand on half a leg.

Hang on a sec … Monty Python took care of that in that 'Black-knight' scene, didn't they ?

Cheers

ballaratdragons
02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Come over here and I'll bite you on the ankle :lol:

supernova1965
02-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Sorry does not prove astrology is valid as stated previously didn't even mention the word

The above statement from the title is about the effect of physics not the position of the planets in starsigns:shrug:

koputai
02-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Don't encourage him by arguing, just let moronic threads die.

Cheers,
Jason.

plmedcraft
02-06-2011, 05:23 PM
People, waste no more time on this.
However...
If you are reading because it is fun then visit his homepage...

Paul 4 more days before my 25" SDM arrives Medcraft

CraigS
02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I'd like to be fair to Chucky ...

Here is our Science Forum list of pseudoscience distinctions (ie: ways we use to detect pseudoscientific behaviours):

(1) The non observation of a prediction made by science is proof that the science is wrong.
(2) An anomaly proves the science is wrong.
(3) Cherry-picking of science data to justify the pseudoscientifc belief.
(4) Recitation of conspiracy theories against science. (Eg: the peer review process being a "boys club");
(5) No evidence of ever having gone through 'Peer Review' and announcements made in mainstream media, before journal publication.
(6) Fudged tests or data: No signs of data, which may be used to disprove the theory.

I'd love to see this thread run without any of these behaviours displayed …
(Actually, it would be a first for a topic like this).
Take care, Overlord ..
:)
I'm outta here !
Cheers

Kal
02-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Lets clear this up, because language and words change meaning over time. Using the dictionary definition of astrology (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/astrology) you get:

astrology [əˈstrɒlədʒɪ]n
1. (Spirituality, New Age, Astrology & Self-help / Astrology) the study of the motions and relative positions of the planets, sun, and moon, interpreted in terms of human characteristics and activities
2. (Astronomy) the primitive study of celestial bodies, which formed the basis of astronomy[from Old French astrologie, from Latin astrologia, from Greek, from astrologos (originally: astronomer); see astro-, -logy]

Now it is apparent that the definition of astrology under number 2, which relates to astronomy, was a term from the past. It is not relevant in modern language because it has been replaced by the word astronomy.

Chucky, I think you need to understand that scientific study of planet positions and gravitational effects falls under astronomy or astrophysics in modern language, with the word astrology being defferred to the stuff you read in magazines, ie "venus is in your starsign and you will find luck"

AstralTraveller
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Quite apart from all the valid comments above about the comic ascertions in the original post, I note that the article is not a refereed publication, it is a Technical Memorandum. NASA explains that a "TECHNICAL MEMORANDUM. [contains] Scientific and technical findings that are preliminary or of specialized interest, e.g., quick release reports, working papers, and bibliographies that contain minimal annotation. Does not contain extensive analysis." Specifically it tells the careful reader that "This report is a formal draft or working paper, intended to solicit comments and ideas from a technical peer group. This report contains preliminary findings, subject to revision as analysis proceeds."

So quite apart from the fact that the NASA publication does not address the issue Chuck claims it vindicates, there is no claim on the part of NASA that this is the final word on the issues it does address. Given that this TM is dated 2007 I'd be interested to know whether it has ever been published.

renormalised
02-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Craig, you'd have a better chance of seeing the Enterprise flying backwards through time at Warp 9, whilst Leonard Nimoy recited all his lines backwards in Cantonese and Bill Shatner make it to the top of the hit parade:):P

GeoffW1
02-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi,

C'mon everyone, our legs are being pulled a bit, surely. Isn't there space for that? :eyepop:

Cheers

renormalised
02-06-2011, 07:15 PM
They're not though, Charles is serious.

TrevorW
02-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Chucky you still haven't answered my questions about sagittarians

"My stars said today I was going to meet a beautiful woman fall madly in love and have the best you know what ever", then I came home to reality.

GeoffW1
02-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh:doh:

renormalised
02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
This hasn't backed you up in any way, shape or form. Apart from not even being a journal article (it's a technical memorandum...but I doubt you'd understand anyway) and being 4 years old, it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the hocus pocus you profess to believe in. All you have done is shown everyone here just how much the lack of your understanding of what science actually is, is evident in everything you've said or written. Plus, your obvious tenuous hold on what constitutes reality is also clearly posited in what you've written, especially in previous posts. It's quite fine to believe in fairies, but please, don't expect anyone else here to do so.

You leave yourself open to being lampooned simply because of the nonsense you claim to be real science. No one else is responsible for that, but yourself.

sjastro
02-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Why should fake scientists be left in the dark?

renormalised
02-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Good question:)

Any takers for an answer??

AstralTraveller
02-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Well ... yes. If no one is in the dark how can anyone claim to be enlightened?? :shrug: :shrug:

sjastro
02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
This needs to be handled seriously.
First of all we need to define a fake scientist.

This is a good example.

http://www.mallatts.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=4857&catId=1011

Regards

Steven

CraigS
02-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Hmm … I would've thought your avatar would have met the basic requirements …??
:P :)

Cheers

marki
02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
The article has nothing to do with new age random beliefs.....perhaps I had better use a crystal ball to see if there is a deeper meaning :rolleyes:. Seriously is de-evolution taking place in front of our very eyes? Perhaps I should put a sock on a stick and proclaim it all knowing, gather a million fools and claim a tax break on their hard earned dollars which of course they will give to me as keeper of the sock.

Mark

AstralTraveller
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey Marki, is that signature a covert endorsement of astrology?? :poke:

There's a lot of it about you know. :D;)

renormalised
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe he's standing underneath a streetlight:P

renormalised
02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
That's mad scientist, not fake:):P

renormalised
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Mark, make sure you polish that crystal ball...don't want bad reception:):P

marki
02-06-2011, 09:10 PM
No David I have pictures and quotes from Eienstien plastered all over my classroom and I think I got it from one of those:P.

Mark

CraigS
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh ….. that's Ok, then !

Cheers

sjastro
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Albert Einstein kit for my next job interview.

Steven

renormalised
02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Make sure it's the one with the tongue extension, just in case you can't poke your tongue out far enough:):P

That's the Deluxe Box set:)

CraigS
02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Tax deductible ?
:question:

h0ughy
02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
this thread is going nowhere -sorry!