PDA

View Full Version here: : canon adapter cord for timer bulb settings

h0ughy
12-02-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=409596

looks interesting, might look into this one. What do the other Canon Owners out there think?

Robby
12-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi Houghy,
Do you already have the Canon timer that this adapter cable fits?
You can easily make an adapter cable to allow computer contol of Bulb. If fact I have made a few and could do you a deal.
http://www.ecoscentric.com/~paulb/astro/SerialDSLRControl/SerialPortControlCables.html
You can use DSLR focus or many other apps to then control the bulb exposure... Much cheaper than getting the canon timer & adapter cable, unless you alredy have the canon timer...
Hope this makes sense!

h0ughy
12-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I am technically inept when it comes to making something like that Robby. I stood behind too many doors.

I don't know what I really want to do yet, the idea of having the laptop next to the scope seems too bulky to me, but then that has never really stopped me before. the timer sounds simple and small and easy to use and setup. i haven't used DSLR, I know many swear by it.

SO whats involved and how much?

Robby
12-02-2006, 12:51 PM
If you don't want a laptop then just get a canon bulb switch..
RC-60E3 is a basic switch you can get from any camera shop. $20-$30.
If you want to control with PC, then make one of those cables I mentioned above. I can make you one for cost of parts & shipping, but there is surely someone local that is handy with a smoldering iron that can do it for you.
Cheers

h0ughy
12-02-2006, 12:59 PM
i will go basic for now and get a manual bulb the 60e3

JohnH
13-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I have one of these and love it - it means I do not have to lug the laptop out for every imaging session - well for short fl unguided shots anyway. Just program it up, press start and off it goes while you have tea/coffee/watch the cricket (!). Simple.

Can also be used for timelapse (flower opening, moonrise/set etc etc). It's a little pricey here (Canon!) so I got mine from HK via ebay....

Recommended.

Striker
13-02-2006, 03:57 PM
There is a benifit to this item for sale Houghy and thats timed exposures.....you can just set and walk away for eg...set 5 x 5 minute exposures with 10 second delay time between shots....with a manual cable release you have to release the shutter manualy each time.

Also the canon timer release TC-80N3 are expensive around $200....I have one and enjoy using it if I dont have my laptop....but with my laptop it never gets used as it's all controlled via software...in my case DSLR Focus.

JohnG
13-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I just use a USB able for exposures up to 30 seconds and a serial cable for anything longer and control it in DSLRFocus, easy.

JohnG

[1ponders]
13-02-2006, 04:51 PM
What are you doing h0ughy :lol: You're looking to spend $35 US for an adapter to go on a $200 timer release when you can have a fully remote shutter control, motorised focuser control, slew control to 16X or more ? (depending on your mount), autoguiding interface, argo navis/planetarium interface for about the same cost. Plus I think it will interface with DSLR Focus (? have to check that one ;) ) Don't see the logic behind your choice.:confuse2: :confuse3: :lol:

Have you worked out what I'm talking about yet?????

h0ughy
14-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Have you worked out what I'm talking about yet????No

[1ponders]
15-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Star-mate mate:)

Remote hand control, no cable. Hand controller controls slewing/centering/manual guiding, changes slew speed, motorized focuser control, changes between 6 preset exposure times (set by user with accompanying software), initiates exposure and automatically takes 10 shots at user set intervals, exposures can be cancelled at the any stage with a press of a button on the hand controller, exposure count check from at least 10 meters away (depends on battery strength), user defined radio frequency in case of local conflict with other units, autoguiding interface through LX200 commands set (you'll need to check the website for more detail on the interfacing :P ), the same autoguiding cable let you change exposure presets from the accompanying software, you can also control slewing directly from your laptop if you want, but laptop is not needed to operate Star-mate, only to initially set your exposure times which can be done before setting up for the night.

Interfaces with Argonavis so you can drive the navis directly from the hand controller and using the serial with a suitable splitter you can also view the movement of the scope as an inticator in a Planetarium program.

I think that's all but I may have missed a couple of things.

Negatives, Hmmm... if I don't put the controller in my pocket or attach it to the mount with velcro I have to remember where I put it down :doh: The motor focus control sometimes isn't as fine as using the handcontroller that comes with the motor focuser (JMI). I find I have to disconnect the camera release cable from the camera end or Star-mate end when I want to change exposure times other wise when I press the button to change the Exp Time the shutter releases (the same button is used), I don't find it a major problem though.

That's about it. I will say though that I don't know how I ever managed without a remote control for slewing, exposure release and all its other advantage. It is unbelievably handy. I'm surprised that the Meade remote hand contoller hasn't made a bigger splash on the hand controller market 'cos I love mine.

Robby
15-02-2006, 08:21 AM
If I want to change the exposure time, I release the shutter then change it then. The change is immediate and will apply to the current shutter release, and all subsequent shots...
Eg. I'll do a set at 120secs, then if I want to do a run at 180s I just hit the release with it still at 120s, hit the change exp time button, and then the shutter time is changed to 180s for that release & all subsequent releases...
Make sense! I'm sure you knew this already anyway... :D
Cheers

[1ponders]
15-02-2006, 08:35 AM
No I didn't Robby, thanks for that:thumbsup: