PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade Digital Series Refractors

ZeroID
31-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Anybody know anything about these ?

A 4" ( DS-90EC or DS-114EC ?? ) has shown up on the local auction site with the electronic Autostar control etc. Focusser rack apparently has a little damage to a few teeth but I am more interested as what the optics are like. It's quite an old model I gather, late 90's maybe. There is very little on the Meade site and although I found the manual other htan aperture it doesn't give much on the specifications.

A longish focal length 4' refractor looks like a nice option if the optics are reasonable. I am not expecting APO quality but a good Achromatic would be useful.

Brent

ZeroID
31-05-2011, 08:18 PM
No knowledge of it over here ?
Reply on Cloudy Nights gives the optics a good rating. Worth a punt, we'll see how the bidding goes.

Barrykgerdes
31-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi

Are you refering to the DS 2000 series of "Department store" telescopes with autostar 494 controllers. There was a DS2070 refractor and I think later a DS2080 70mm and 80mm refractors. The DS2114 and DS 2130 were reflectors. They were released around 2001. The rack focusers were rather flimsy on the refractors.

I have a DS2080 that gives reasonable views and is a goto telescope. I gave it to my grand daughter (8) who thinks it is great and she is looking forward to setting it up at Wiruna this weekend.
I bought it new for $200 as an end of series sale.

Barry

ZeroID
01-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi Barry,
Interestingly enough the person selling the scope has described it as a reflector but posted several pictures of a refractor. They are actual pictures taken at a home, not just copied advert or brochure pictures. The rest of the sale details indicates someone without much telescope knowledge. I shall go and ask for clarification.

The model numbers I posted, DS-90EC & DS114EC, are from an astro shop in USA second hand listings pictures and description and I got some info from Cloudy Nights from someone who has the manual AZ version, no control.

I think your DS20xx models are a later model as they are still listed at the Meade website. From what I understand this model series dates back to late 90's.

I am actually not bothered with the electronics, it's the optics I am interested in.

Here's a few pix from the listing ...

Barrykgerdes
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
The photo looks like the early release of the DS2080 refractor. It has the black single arm mount and the older tripod. The later DS2080 I have has a silver mount (like the Meade picture) and the later tripod that is a bit better than the older type that broke fairly easily.

The optics are OK for general use but the rack focuser leaves a bit to be desired. We have used it mainly at astronomy nights tracking the moon Saturn or Jupiter. This usually impresses the non astronomical viewers.

I have some early catalogues.It is in the 2002 catalogue but not the 1998. I don't think the autostar mount was released until 2001 so I don't think it would be any earlier than this. The ETX 60/70 came out about the same time.

Mike Weasner's site might give some more informarion.

Barry

Logieberra
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I took one of these DS mounts apart and used it to turn my ETX 90 RA into go-to. The goto with DS motors is nothing special, even when trained. But it will put you in the general direction. I have spare DS motors and pieces if you're interest... good to have backups.
Logan.

Barrykgerdes
02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I did the same with an ETX70 OTA on a DS mount that had been dropped and broke the flimsy Dec bearing clutch assembly. I made a new one on the lathe. It does not work very well on the batteries. Tends to get "stalled motors" but works great on 12v. It works great as a goto because of the short focal length of the ETX70 and tracks well.

Barry

ZeroID
03-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Barry, nothing useful on Mike Weasners site re DS Series but thanks for the link, quite a bit of other handy stuff to read through.

Cheers
Brent